What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

applesauce

Bench
I don't see why they dont force teams to a 8year HOME jersey and a 2year AWAY jersey.

Should fix a lot of problems, have the best of both worlds and teams will make home jerseys traditional again.

hellteam

First Grade
Brisbane and Melbourne need to use those heritage jerseys fulltime, they looked sensational!!!!! Far better than what they currently wear.

There can't be more than two people in the world that prefer the usual Storm jersey to the one they wore last night... whoever designed it and the guy at the Storm that gave it the OK.

Great jersey.

hellteam

First Grade
Good point, although probably the significance in this game is that the Gold Coast Giants first opponent was the Bulldogs way back in 1988.

Next years heritage round I wouldnt mind seeing games like:

Manly Vs Cronulla (40th anniversary of the 73 Grand Final)
Wests Tigers Vs Dragons (60th anniversary of the 63 Grand Final)
Penrith Vs Roosters (10 years since the 03 Grand Final)

Also the Broncos jumper looked a bit weird some of it did look like 1992, but there was too much yellow at the back.

x2, not a fan at all.

hellteam

First Grade
I'd love to find out how much extra money clubs that aren't Souths and St George make by changing their jersey every 3 years. It can't be that much, I don't know many fans stupid enough to buy a 150+ dollar jersey every 3 years. And whatever the $ amount is, it's not worth cheapening the brand and pissing on the history.

I'm friends with casual fans who have sat down to watch a game with me and have had no idea who the teams playing were. A family friend has a young son who cried when his team (Tigers) changed their jersey AGAIN and what he wore didn't look like his team anymore.

Jersey changes are incredibly rare in the AFL and NFL and only very minor changes happen with regularity in European soccer teams.

If I ran the ARLC I'd force the clubs to hold a poll of their members to choose their favourite jersey out of every version they've ever worn and the clubs would have to stick with that for a minimum of 10 years, and then jersey changes would only be permitted by a member vote.

I'd bet Penrith, Canterbury, Melbourne, Wests, Canberra, Newcastle among others would immediatley vote to go back to the vastly superior jerseys they wore in the past.

This issue is one of the very few reasons I have to respect the Dragons.

You can't put Souths in the same category as the Dragons, Souths have changed their jersey twice lately.

Also European soccer.... are you serious? Nearly all clubs change all three of their jerseys every year. And quite significant changes too.

GAZF

First Grade
x2, not a fan at all.

There needs to be more control over what is used as a heritage jersey. There's no reason why the Broncos couldn't continue the striping over the side panels and around the back except for lazy design work. The Storm jersey bas just about spot on but the square Crown logo ruined it. They also had the wrong shorts and socks.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Our jersey has barely changed over the years, we've had a V since the 60's(I think); maybe the style of the V has changed(slightly) but it hasn't been a massive change.
I was a big fan of your jersey until you added that bullshit swirly bit around the neck. It looks like a t-shirt now.
I don't see why they dont force teams to a 8year HOME jersey and a 2year AWAY jersey.

Should fix a lot of problems, have the best of both worlds and teams will make home jerseys traditional again.
The problem with that is teams and the idiot marketing "geniuses" they employ to design jerseys would just stick a team with an ugly design for longer. Extending the minimum time of a jersey has to be combined with a compulsory members vote. I've found the common fan has a much better taste in jerseys than the people in charge of designing it.
You can't put Souths in the same category as the Dragons, Souths have changed their jersey twice lately.

Also European soccer.... are you serious? Nearly all clubs change all three of their jerseys every year. And quite significant changes too.
FFS I understand you hate Souths but get over it. The red and green horizontal stripes we've had for eternity are still 95% of the jersey. The black trim under the armpit is nothing. I'm talking about drastic wholesale design changes like the Cowboys, Tigers and Knights have done several times.

As for soccer, yes away and alternate jerseys change but noone cares about those. I don't care what NRL clubs do with their alternate jerseys, they can have their fun with those. It's the main jersey that matters.

And anyone with basic sports knowledge can pick a United jersey, a Chelsea jersey, a Liverpool jersey from a mile away. Major european teams only have very minor changes to their trim.

That kind of change is not what I'm complaining about.

I still think the cats asshole thing looks stunning on the souffs jersey. I still don't like the jersey itself. Wish they would just go back to the old classic souffs jersey.

hellteam

First Grade
I was a big fan of your jersey until you added that bullshit swirly bit around the neck. It looks like a t-shirt now.

The problem with that is teams and the idiot marketing "geniuses" they employ to design jerseys would just stick a team with an ugly design for longer. Extending the minimum time of a jersey has to be combined with a compulsory members vote. I've found the common fan has a much better taste in jerseys than the people in charge of designing it.

FFS I understand you hate Souths but get over it. The red and green horizontal stripes we've had for eternity are still 95% of the jersey. The black trim under the armpit is nothing. I'm talking about drastic wholesale design changes like the Cowboys, Tigers and Knights have done several times.

As for soccer, yes away and alternate jerseys change but noone cares about those. I don't care what NRL clubs do with their alternate jerseys, they can have their fun with those. It's the main jersey that matters.

And anyone with basic sports knowledge can pick a United jersey, a Chelsea jersey, a Liverpool jersey from a mile away. Major european teams only have very minor changes to their trim.

That kind of change is not what I'm complaining about.

And people can't pick a Bulldogs, Broncos, Manly jersey etc?

Soccer teams make the same types of changes to league jerseys, only they change them every year. Have a look at Barca, Bayern over the past few years.

I don't think it's an issue anyway, as long as it's the right colours I don't have a problem with changing jerseys.

Well it looks like a cats arse!

I thought you sponsor must have been kitty litter or something.

Anyway, I repeat...get back to the old school souffs jersey. It is the only one that ever looked good

BunniesMan

Immortal
This jersey is 95% like the "old school" jersey.

Cats bum or not at least our sponsor logo is integrated unlike some of the ugly in the way things like Melbournes.

This jersey is 95% like the "old school" jersey.

Cats bum or not at least our sponsor logo is integrated unlike some of the ugly in the way things like Melbournes.

No it is an attemp to be like it, but it isn't. I know you will say the colors are exactly the same, but being an old bastard I can tell you I remember the colours being a lot lighter. To bright and that black block down the side is crappy.

Maybe I am too old school. I want our old hoops back as well, not this half hoop crap the sharks have put out

By the way our sponsor logo is so well integrated in the colours of the jersey, you can't find it.

Fugg our mob need to get their act together

BunniesMan

Immortal
Re: the brightness of the colours.

I don't know if that's more to do with how jerseys are made these days.

Even when Penrith wore their licorice jersey (which should be their permanent jersey) the colours didn't look quite like they did back in the day.

roofromoz

First Grade
Penrith's 1992 away strip, as worn tonight.

NRL+Rd+5+Panthers+v+Sharks+efHr29dRgXJl.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
Awesome jersey. Another heritage jersey that is better than what they have now.

If I was a Panthers or Tigers fan my one jersey would be a heritage jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.