What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Toyota Cup Team of the Year (Official)

Edwahu

Bench
Are you eligible to win Player of the Year if you made the bench of that team? Because dead-set i was comparing stats between Mitch Cornish the starting 7 and Keary on the bench and Keary is quite easily streets ahead of him.

In the one extra game Keary has played, Cornish will have to accumulate.

7 tries
5 line-breaks
3 line-break assists
6 try assists
11 offloads
6 tackle busts

Makes 0.7 less runs for 31.1 metres less

and makes 5.7 tackles less a game and misses 0.8 tackles more.

Keary has him comfortably with every stat barring a dominant running game may eclipse him tackle breaks wise however would need at least 7.

If Cornish wins POTY i will be massively pissed.

Cornish wont win POTY as Milford would have taken a lot of points off him in the second half of the year.

Otherwise did you see all or at least most of Cornish and Kearys seasons? If not, I'm not sure how you could be pissed about the result.

Iafeta

Referee
Hmmm... Interesting. The Warriors have been the dominant team in the grade, going for a potential three-peat, and the only team to have gone to the finals every year, and yet they have a total of I believe 8 representations in the team of the year since the competition's inception. Astonished Shaun Johnson or Kevin Locke never represented this team over the years.

Big Pete

Referee
It just goes to show how strong the competition was that neither Locke or Johnson received a look in.

Locke was unfortunate to play at a time where so many excellent fullbacks were playing. The one year he really got to star in NYC, he was up against a field that included Coote, Dugan & Hoffman who each had fair cases for deserving the award as well.

Johnson was more unfortunate as he had two bites of the cherry from 09-10. '09 was individually his best season but like Locke he was against a stacked field that included DCE, Foran, Lui & the NYC player of the Year Beau Henry who was a deserved winner.

Field wasn't as strong but still tough with Sam Williams, Adam Reynolds, Morgan, Sezer & two young blokes who were responsible for a lot of try assists to their name in Riccardi & Murray.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I always assumed the Warriors dominance was the reason there weren't more of them featured in the team of the year.

Other guys stand out more in their teams compared to say Johnson, who at times all he had to do was throw a ball to Likiliki/Hurrell/Louisi/Fish/Omar and then walk back to wait for the restart.

Big Pete

Referee
Yep, good point KTF.

I'd be interested to know whether the coaches (aka the judges) would have changed their minds after the finals.

It's funny though, they give them award based on substance and their lists age terribly (eg. Brad Murray, Matt Hyland) or they go based on potential and it stirs a few of us up. (eg. Green, Tuimavave etc.)