What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Halves 6 T Carney 7 S Johnson

hitman82

Bench
I'll have a hundred of that. Payable when he signs a contract with whoever.

I can't believe the Warriors will let him leave,

I think the issue may become we have a heap of developing stars. It's not going to be cheap to keep players like Locke, Johnson; even Godinet, Taylor, Brown, Ta'ai and Omar could be moderately high cost players in the next season or 2. Not to mention our rep-studded forward pack of Rapira, Packer, Matulino and Lillyman - or Ropati, Vatuvei, Mateo, Inu.
one big advantage we have is most of those Kiwis would prefer to stay in Auckland so are likely on less than they could command overseas, but that doesn't apply to Maloney.
While I am sure we could budget $400ish for Maloney, so could a number of Sydney teams. We'd likely have to pay $100k more than anyone else to keep the guy - and will we be able to afford that in the next season or 2? I have no idea...

Rich102

Staff member
I think the issue may become we have a heap of developing stars. It's not going to be cheap to keep players like Locke, Johnson; even Godinet, Taylor, Brown, Ta'ai and Omar could be moderately high cost players in the next season or 2. Not to mention our rep-studded forward pack of Rapira, Packer, Matulino and Lillyman - or Ropati, Vatuvei, Mateo, Inu.
one big advantage we have is most of those Kiwis would prefer to stay in Auckland so are likely on less than they could command overseas, but that doesn't apply to Maloney.
While I am sure we could budget $400ish for Maloney, so could a number of Sydney teams. We'd likely have to pay $100k more than anyone else to keep the guy - and will we be able to afford that in the next season or 2? I have no idea...

Yep, agree with all that. I think far more important will be how he gets on with Bluey and how realistic he rates the Warriors chance of a Premiership. He would be stupid to go to a club with a poor forward pack or little chance of a crack at the big one. (Plus he may even get over his homesickness.)

Just thought it was a bet worth taking.;-)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'll have a hundred of that. Payable when he signs a contract with whoever.

I can't believe the Warriors will let him leave,

So me and you are ready to boogie, $100? The minute he signs here or over there, get the bank details ready

I reckon there could be something in the murmurs about him wanting to go back to Sydney, most players who are of value to clubs back there get it in Auckland.

Absolutely we can throw 400-500k at him, but look at what the Eels just did with Sandow. I think we're at the mercy of a Sydney club, and I reckon it will be Souths, Sharks or the Roosters, or possibly Penrith (depending if he likes Ivan or not) who go near to matching our offer, which would mean he's gooone.

Those sides have bugger all five-eighth/halves options, and I reckon they'll be factoring in a bid for Maloney for their 2013 cap.

I would love us to produce whatever coin we have to, to get him to stay. I just get a feeling it won't be enough.

Amazing we are having this conversation about a guy Ivan bought on a semi-whim at bargain basement prices, after 3 (?) NRL matches. He's been bloody impressive.

devoid

Juniors
Am I the only one who really doesn't rate Tuimavave? Reasonable player, very average on defence, thought there must've been a better five-eighth kicking around the 20s.

I don't know - maybe you are, maybe not? I rate him. He has another year to play in juniors; has gas, good kicking game, good passing game - I've never been a fan of selecting a half for the defensive capabilities anyway. Shows enough promise at this stage to convince me he is worthy of signing to a fulltime contract - can train with the big boys, and continue to develop. Add Godinet into the mix too - no need for Carney.

Rich102

Staff member
So me and you are ready to boogie, $100? The minute he signs here or over there, get the bank details ready

I reckon there could be something in the murmurs about him wanting to go back to Sydney, most players who are of value to clubs back there get it in Auckland.

Absolutely we can throw 400-500k at him, but look at what the Eels just did with Sandow. I think we're at the mercy of a Sydney club, and I reckon it will be Souths, Sharks or the Roosters, or possibly Penrith (depending if he likes Ivan or not) who go near to matching our offer, which would mean he's gooone.

Those sides have bugger all five-eighth/halves options, and I reckon they'll be factoring in a bid for Maloney for their 2013 cap.

I would love us to produce whatever coin we have to, to get him to stay. I just get a feeling it won't be enough.

Amazing we are having this conversation about a guy Ivan bought on a semi-whim at bargain basement prices, after 3 (?) NRL matches. He's been bloody impressive.

I think he has the spark we have been missing for a long time. If we lose him I will be gutted as well as $100 poorer.

I wonder who spotted him? Does Ivan get the credit or has it more to do with D Bell? Our recruitment has improved a lot under Bell.

MKEB...

Staff member
The funny thing about Maloney, is that he was "finched" at two seperate clubs.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That would surprise me a bit, actually. The Cows have done a whole lot over the last 12 months to tidy up a bad culture at the club, and Carney would typify two of the things that plagued them--alcohol abuse and lack of respect for authority.

But hey, maybe i've read their club moves over the last year all wrong.

That came from an ex NRL player so will be interesting to see if that pans out

So we chuck $400k at Carney now? :lol:

_addict

Juniors
I don't want Carney, not unless he really wants to get a new start and sort himself out. He's definitely got the skills, but is throwing so much away by lack of self-control around alcohol. If he has the same attitude and commitment about turning things around like Buster has I'd be okay about us taking him.

Warmess

Juniors
I think if we got him on a 1 year deal with the option in our favour of a second, then he'd be worth a shot.

We've got Godinet and Tuimavave there in case he slipped up/form was crap. I think he could turn himself around over here, and if he got back to his 2010 form then we'd be a huge force.

I still reckon we're in with a sniff of keeping Maloney though, hopefully he likes NZ enough to stay for a huge pay rise, cause he's certainly going to get one.

Rebel

First Grade
If we threw money at Carney, where would he play? Unless we could offload Maloney, I dont see the point.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think he has the spark we have been missing for a long time. If we lose him I will be gutted as well as $100 poorer.

I wonder who spotted him? Does Ivan get the credit or has it more to do with D Bell? Our recruitment has improved a lot under Bell.

Couldn't agree more, he's been unreal for us. To me, attitude wise has been his biggest asset. Can play footy big time, but he's a talker, a thinker, a believer.

I think Cleary spotted him, during his time in NSW Cup with the Roosters feeder side? Could be wrong.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I still reckon we're in with a sniff of keeping Maloney though, hopefully he likes NZ enough to stay for a huge pay rise, cause he's certainly going to get one.
I don't know why, and I can't explain it, but I reckon that Bluey's appointment to the coaching job will improve our chances of keeping Maloney here - providing Bluey thinks he's worth keeping of course.

Rich102

Staff member
I don't know why, and I can't explain it, but I reckon that Bluey's appointment to the coaching job will improve our chances of keeping Maloney here - providing Bluey thinks he's worth keeping of course.

Inu too!

Inu and Bluey click big time

I can honestly see Bluey bringing the very best out of him

Carney can sign up with the eels or rabbitohs, we have halves that can do the biz

jaseg

Juniors
#1 option has to be to keep Maloney. IF that doesn't pan out then we move on.

If Carney goes to France and has a year without incident I'd say take a punt on him (provided he shows the right attitude in coming back to the NRL) in 2013. That said, I'd still only have him on the contract suggested here (1 year with option in clubs favour for 1 more).

I'm more in favour of seeing the continued development of Carlos Tuimavave to be honest. Himself and Johnson were one hell of a force in the 20s together and I would love to see an all-homegrown halves combo dominating well into the future. Could you just see (when Nathan Friend retires after his contract ends) a homegrown star spine of Locke-Tuimavave-Johnson-Mara? Maybe bring back Seluini as the bench utility/hooker if available? Or maybe that's just my romantic side showing :p

Latest posts