What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Wimbledon

Big Sam

First Grade
It's strawberries and cream time again.

Because of the seedings, Rafa, Roger, and Andy are on one half of the draw while Djokovic is pretty much guaranteed a clear path to the final.

6 Aussie men in the main draw which is our highest representation in a long while.

For the women, Stosur is 14th seed while Serena, Azarenka, and Sharapova are the top 3 seeds.

ek999

First Grade
Novak is basically a lock for being in the final now with the draw. The only two challengers to him on his side of the draw are Berdych and Del Potro but both nowhere near the class of the bottom half. I don't think Ferrer will make it past the quarters. The other side has Murray, Federer, Nadal and Tsonga. Can Wimbledon still do the seeds differently to world ranking? I would have put Nadal at 4 and Ferrer in at 5 because he is that much better then him on grass.

Hoping for big things from Raonic and Isner, their serves will be hard to break on grass and would love to see one of them make at least the semis. My pick is for Nadal to beat Djokovic in the final

Can't see anyone beating Serena if she stays fully fit. She is just that much better then the rest. Stosur should have the game for grass courts but hates playing on it. Hopefully she can make it to at least the quarters

Apey

Staff member
As long as somebody knocks out Murray I'm happy... just watching the 2012 replay on Foxtel and Federer is in fine form, wouldn't mind seeing him win it again seeing as he is going to struggle to win any of the other majors.

Big Sam

First Grade
Can Wimbledon still do the seeds differently to world ranking?

Yes. They place a greater emphasis on how you perform normally on that surface than the other Slams. So Rafa's k.o. last year to Rosol (and the fact he hasn't played one match on grass since then) hurt his seeding.

ek999

First Grade
I still think Nadal should be 4 seed. 2 time champion, finalist another 3 or 4 times. Ferrer has only played once on grass this year for a straight set loss to Malisse so it isn't like he is in better form or anything. Doesn't matter anyway at some point he has to play against the top players. A tougher match against Federer might be a better prep for Murray then an easy win over someone else

BDR

First Grade
Can't see any of our men getting through to Rd 2 except perhaps Duckworth

cleary89

Coach
Looked pretty good. I thought wawrinka was dominating most of the rallys though, seemed like heaps of unforced errors.

Apey

Staff member
I should quit rootin' for Nadal as soon as the French Open ends...

ek999

First Grade
Wow at Nadal's loss. Haven't seen any of the match but I heard his knees were playing up? He is always a good sportsman in defeat though. Refused to blame his knees and credit his opponent. Good win by Hewitt. The biggest danger on his part of the draw is gone until he possibly meets Fed in the quarters

No Roger is gonski.

A load of players have also withdrawn due to injury, they're falling like flies. Some of it may have to do with the slippery grass.

ek999

First Grade
Absolutely crazy day uesterday. Couldn't believe it when I read all the withdrawals and losses. Azarenka and Sharapova both being out has basically given the tournament to Serena. Also tough to now go past a Murray and Djokovic final. There is no other top 10 player left on Murray's side of the draw. Almegro at 15th seed is the next top ranked player. Current prediction is Djokovic vs Raonic and Murray vs Janowicz with Djokovic beating Murray in the final.

Would love to see Dustin Brown go all the way with his awesome dreadlocks though

Apey

Staff member
Well that's my 2 favourite players gone :lol:

Do me a favour Djoko and crush Murray's dreams...

I don't think a grand slam has ever been this crazy. Roger, Rafa, Tsonga, Sharapova, Azarenka all out and we're only in the second round. I think it makes for a predictable outcome though (Williams and Djokovic winning), although if they fall as well it becomes incredibly interesting.