What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

KAB

Juniors
The coast v tigers trial.Matts game - a very tight 1st 20mins with 2 tries to 1 - the last try was scored after kick on the bell. Both sets of forwards played very well. Second 20 was a different game altogether with the tigers going out 5 tries to 2 the Coast put on a weaker side and it showed. The 3rd 20min saw the coast going on to 3 more tries to 1. Overall excellent trial game.
Ball game was a hard game both sides gave little away. In defence. The coast bombed 2 tries. Got penalised 16 -3 and went down, 5 tries to 3. Both sides are going to very competitive throughout the comp. it did look as though the tigers and the coast were without some players.
Both sides showed excellent brand of footy.

Delboy

First Grade
Saw Penrith v Parramatta Matts and Ball last Friday, even though there was a mash up of sides, it looks like they are both going to be competitive, but Penrith look very good in Ball and definitely GF material.

Matts was a but harder to define as injuries played a part. As a parra fan, have to acknowledge that the Pennies played better in both grades and should be well. Parra has a pretty hard start with Penrith and Knights the first 2 games, so may need a late burst as the sides gel to make a big impression.

Early tip from the trial, the Riff will be hard to beat

magpie4ever

First Grade
Saw Penrith v Parramatta Matts and Ball last Friday, even though there was a mash up of sides, it looks like they are both going to be competitive, but Penrith look very good in Ball and definitely GF material.

Matts was a but harder to define as injuries played a part. As a parra fan, have to acknowledge that the Pennies played better in both grades and should be well. Parra has a pretty hard start with Penrith and Knights the first 2 games, so may need a late burst as the sides gel to make a big impression.

Early tip from the trial, the Riff will be hard to beat

Agreed, the fact that they have made a decision not to select 4 or 5 NYC capable (SG Ball) players in that squad shows they are keen on the Ball title.

They will be hard to beat, definitely not unbeatable but hard to beat.

I hope one of their supporters goes the early crow (c'mon Daz and Keenan - early crow, please:D).

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
The coast v tigers trial.Matts game - a very tight 1st 20mins with 2 tries to 1 - the last try was scored after kick on the bell. Both sets of forwards played very well. Second 20 was a different game altogether with the tigers going out 5 tries to 2 the Coast put on a weaker side and it showed. The 3rd 20min saw the coast going on to 3 more tries to 1. Overall excellent trial game.
Ball game was a hard game both sides gave little away. In defence. The coast bombed 2 tries. Got penalised 16 -3 and went down, 5 tries to 3. Both sides are going to very competitive throughout the comp. it did look as though the tigers and the coast were without some players.
Both sides showed excellent brand of footy.

I know Balmain had a number of players out.

Their next 2 trials against Cronulla (this week) followed by Souths should provide a base of how they will go throughout the comp.

KAB

Juniors
Knights #Ball side played The Entrance first grade (Central Coast) last night. Does anyone know how they went. It's amazing that they cannot trial side in Newcastle. There have been massive rumours going around about the Coast players in Newcastle, one of these rumours is ridiculous. If this was any other business operation they would be embarrassed and heads would roll. It will be interesting to see what comes with all of it.
The coast travel to St Mary's today to play WEstern Sydney Academy. If anyone's interested games start at 5 & 6.30pm.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Balmain played Cronulla last night. Without keeping score, I reckon it was about Balmain 8 tries to Cronulla 5 or 6 tries.

The heat was severe but a fairly sloppy game from both squads.

Last edited:

Tucantango

Juniors
We will make the finals.

LMAO@M4E!

Be careful what you wish for Mags! I actually agree with Daz!

With that said, Daz what is the word with the SGB/NYC boys? Are they going to made available for the Ball season or are they going to stay in the 20's?

Tucantango

Juniors
Have heard from more people today that the Bulldogs are now linked to the Central Coast ?.

That does not surprise meTBH! The CC is a growth area as far as sport is concerned and is still relatively untapped (at least in terms of league - soccer certainly knows where it's bread is buttered).

In addition to this the Dogs own a club in Bateu Bay and regularly have camps up there. They also happen to have a few talent Coasties in their junior ranks; the Keighran brothers (I hope I spelled it correctly), and an U/20's lad called Josh Montgomery (a kid I personally rate very highly)!

Yep the Keighran brothers, Rhys Kearns (Woy Woy/S.G.Ball), Tom Harvey (Toukley/S.G.Ball), there are a few contracted to the Dogs but playing with the Centurians and Steve Carters son Paul played NSW Cup with them last season before signing with the Gold Coast Titans this season.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
LMAO@M4E!

With that said, Daz what is the word with the SGB/NYC boys? Are they going to made available for the Ball season or are they going to stay in the 20's?

Hey Tucs,

Long time no speak. I need an early crow (maybe, Kennan will make it); declaring the SG Ball title is over before a game is played. Daz is becoming cunning after two early crow calls.:D

Definite title favourites, though.

Heard that all the SG ball eligible players will play in that comp before possibly moving to the NYC squad after their run in Ball finishes.

Looking forward to you and Kennan matching wits, or maybe he is still punch drunk from the pounding he received last year.;-)

PS: I see Michael has been named in the Bulldogs NYC squad.

Last edited:

ballbag

Juniors
Yep the Keighran brothers, Rhys Kearns (Woy Woy/S.G.Ball), Tom Harvey (Toukley/S.G.Ball), there are a few contracted to the Dogs but playing with the Centurians and Steve Carters son Jason played NSW Cup with them last season before signing with the Gold Coast Titans this season.
Paul Carter who joined the dogs from Lismore?

KAB

Juniors
Paul Carter who joined the dogs from Lismore?
Paul Carter and he his younger brother Blake are both Wyong juniors before moving north to lismore then back to homebush high finish yr 11/12. I heard the dogs got smashed in both matts and ball yesterday.
matts - WSAS academy beat the coast boys 10 tries to 2
Ball - coast won 12 tries to 4 over WSAS
Rabbits beat parra in both grades
Knights matts had easy win over western academy in mudgee
Ball knights played u 19 the Entrance winning easily.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
LMAO@M4E!

6 of the boys were training with the 20's. It looked almost certain a couple of weeks ago that Oliver Clark and Robert Jennings will stay with the 20's. However they have decided to play them in SG Ball.

Not sure how Harold Matts went on the weekend.

Penrith won SG Ball 24-10(5 tries to 2). Both teams started with their best 13 in the first 25 mins and Penrith won 20-0. The game was played in 3 25 minute periods. Apparently the game got very sloppy as the mercury climbed above 30 degrees.

Oliver Clark and Dylan Fuad were the best for Penrith from all reports.

Latest posts