What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

KAB

Juniors
Siv - they tries only

Coast will pick squads shortly as you suggested. Tigers trial will be good contest. Being played at Morrie Breen. I think it's 4.00 and 5.15

Luke sharpe played well. Scored a try from 50m out. But only played 25 min. Very safe blistering speed,defended well.

KAB

Juniors
Wow, alot of Central Coast talent scattered through the Knights, Manly, the Bears, Bulldogs and one with the Roosters. Imagine if they had their own NRL pathway.
What are your thoughts on a local player from Ourimbah. Going to the Knights while on scholarship with the Coast. And the 8 players they selected in Matts. I agree with you imagine if they stayed on the Coast and imagine if there were a NRL side on the coast. This alone will cost a lot of a money. To the knights.
Last year proved that if the kids stay on the Coast and play well they will succeed. Eg last years matts squad has been torn apart by other clubs because there efforts. This years ball team had shold have 13 players from last years squad.
Time will tell if they will exceed expectations.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Hey KAB,

If you heading to the Coast v Tigers SG Ball trial this Saturday; are you able to provide a detailed summary?

I would guess they will both play their strongest sides in the 2nd half.

Pride128

Juniors
What are your thoughts on a local player from Ourimbah. Going to the Knights while on scholarship with the Coast. And the 8 players they selected in Matts. I agree with you imagine if they stayed on the Coast and imagine if there were a NRL side on the coast. This alone will cost a lot of a money. To the knights.
Last year proved that if the kids stay on the Coast and play well they will succeed. Eg last years matts squad has been torn apart by other clubs because there efforts. This years ball team had shold have 13 players from last years squad.

Yes i agree. Knights dont want a central coast NRL team, its a fertile breeding ground for them. I watched the manly vs Knights trial games on the weekend and the halfback, 5/8th and hooker for the knights were central coast youngsters, and all excelled. Plus numerous other coast boys running around in various postions. Newcastle are plundering the central coast resources and leaving their own talented juniors hung out to dry with no were to play but get picked up by Sydney Clubs. Funnily enough ive heard a few times and one of the fathers of a Knights Matts player told me that the best Matts aged prop forward in Newcastle plays for North Sydney. This years central coast matts squad would have been pretty impressive if they stayed on the coast.

Yeah I'm good friends with the boys dad and his son has played in the halves with my son since U10's at Ourimbah. Bugsy goes to school at Hunter Sports so theres your catch 22. A few of the other Central Coast kids also go to Hunter Sports thus the connection with the Knights. Yes last years Coast Matts squad has been torn apart but if you look at Jesse Ramien, Darcy Cox and Wade Hannell (Manly and all in the Emerging Blues squad), Jack Cogger (Knights and another emerging Blues squad member) and add them to the three Bulldogs Coast players and Connor Watson with the Roosters the Coasts S.G.Ball squad would be pretty impressive.

KAB

Juniors
Yeah I'm good friends with the boys dad and his son has played in the halves with my son since U10's at Ourimbah. Bugsy goes to school at Hunter Sports so theres your catch 22. A few of the other Central Coast kids also go to Hunter Sports thus the connection with the Knights. Yes last years Coast Matts squad has been torn apart but if you look at Jesse Ramien, Darcy Cox and Wade Hannell (Manly and all in the Emerging Blues squad), Jack Cogger (Knights and another emerging Blues squad member) and add them to the three Bulldogs Coast players and Connor Watson with the Roosters the Coasts S.G.Ball squad would be pretty impressive.
What are your thoughts on a kid on contract to the coast and trying to get out of it. Eg your mate kid Bugsy. I really can't see it as a catch 22. There are few kids that go to Hunter Sports and still play on the Coast eg Daniel Peck emerging blue. Jesse Ramien was sign as 13yr old, Wade And Darcy went Manly in Matts even though they played in the Ourimbah team of your son. I agree with you there it would be great squad. But I think the squad they at the moment will surprise. I'm pretty sure the people at nsw RL will not allow him to play. Unless there is a massive compensation to the coast. Like all the matts plays there will cost the Knights to have em play.

KAB

Juniors
Yes i agree. Knights dont want a central coast NRL team, its a fertile breeding ground for them. I watched the manly vs Knights trial games on the weekend and the halfback, 5/8th and hooker for the knights were central coast youngsters, and all excelled. Plus numerous other coast boys running around in various postions. Newcastle are plundering the central coast resources and leaving their own talented juniors hung out to dry with no were to play but get picked up by Sydney Clubs. Funnily enough ive heard a few times and one of the fathers of a Knights Matts player told me that the best Matts aged prop forward in Newcastle plays for North Sydney. This years central coast matts squad would have been pretty impressive if they stayed on the coast.
Isn't funny, when a mino club succeeds the bigger club can't have that because they would be seen to be a failure. With amount of resources the knights have and the lack of $ resources the Coast have, you can only imagine what will happen in the years to come. You mentioned the players what about the coaching staff. Is anyone in Newcastle squads from Newcastle. There no. One forward from 2 year ago is playing on the coast, disregarded. Plus 2 others. No fees attached as they were released. Yep the coast team would impressive you can't have the mino succeed.

ballbag

Juniors
well the knights high performance coach used to coach a team on the central coast about 7-8 years ago so he would still have strong ties down there

I think the Knights high performance person is Troy Pezet his son Jonah plays for Valentines U11's this season but goes to school on the Central Coast, Troy used to coach Wyong U15's in 2011 who our Ourimbah boys beat in that years Grand Final. He also used to play 1st grade for Wyong himself many years ago. He has already approached players from my U12 Ourimbah side last season.

Last edited:
Central Coast players with other clubs in the Harolds Matts and S.G.Ball competitions; Daniel Bell/Ourimbah, Jack Cogger/Toukley, Trust Lever/Erina S.G.Ball, Brendan O'Hagan/Berkeley Vale, Tom Starling/Kincumber, Jack Weir/Entrance, Hiku Moeke/Erina, Blake Andrews/Wyong, Matt Atchison/Toukley Harold Matts (all Newcastle), Darcy Cox/Ourimbah, Wade Hannell/Woy Woy, Jesse Ramien/Wyong, Tristan McKay/Toukley S.G.Ball, Brydon Ramien/Wyong Harold Matts (all Manly), Adam Keighran/Toukley, Tom Harvey/Toukley, Rhys Kearns/Woy Woy S.G.Ball (all Bulldogs), Connor Watson/Kincumber S.G.Ball (Roosters) and Jacob McCudden/Entrance, Nelson Florimo/Entrance, Jordan Huckstepp/Entrance S.G.Ball (all Norths). Connor Watson left the Centurians because he was competing with Luke Sharpe for the fullback spot and the North Sydney boys couldn't crack the Centurians squad so they looked for opportunities elsewhere. I may have missed some but thats all that I know.

Last edited:

ballbag

Juniors
I think the Knights high performance person is Troy Pezet his son plays for Valentine but goes to school on the Coast, Troy used to play for Wyong. He has already approached players from my U12 Ourimbah side last season.

he will end up at Wests Newcastle because that's who will bail the knights out after tinkler leaves the place stuffed

KAB

Juniors
he will end up at Wests Newcastle because that's who will bail the knights out after tinkler leaves the place stuffed[/ QUOTE]
He has been getting very bad name around the coast and how can he be looking at u12, but I know his son in that age group. Pezet is making a lot of the calls, Newcastle locals jnrs are being punted. I'm sorry to say its gone way to far. If I recall he was a player manager. If all those players are in Newcastle from the coast alone and have played Jnr reps on the coast already it will cost @ 2500 each, work it out, a local is free, the only one without fee I think is Trust Leger but has been dropped. If they have played matts and ball a lot more???
Like you said Ballbag he will them.
Any way that's life and footy back.

Keenan

Juniors
Easts SG Ball 2014 train on squad:

BURLEY, Jordan
CRICHTON, Isaac
CRICHTON, Angus
DAVIS, Timothy
EDWARDS, Travis
ELLIS, Luke
ERTEN, Samet
FA'ALOGO, Dominic
FENUKITAU, Sean-Paul
FERNANDES, Tristian
FOAMAUSILI, Poasa
GARVEY, Grant
GIBBONS, Jack
GRAHAM, Fraser
HANSELL, Clayton
HOLLIS, Jordan
JOHNSON, Tom
JOHN-VARU, Ignace
KARENE, Jacob
KENNEDY, Keirian
KING, Ryan
LEWIS, Bernard
MADDEN, Tom
MAKAS , Nick
MAKDESSI, Dylan
MANU, Joseph
MANU, Suka
MARSTERS, Esan
MATTERSON, Dean
MITCHELL, Latrell
MITCHELL, Shaq
MOMOROVSKI, Paul
NARAYAN, Dion
NIUKORE, Marata
O'DONNELL, Chad
PORTER, Rueben
RADLEY, Lewis
REMFRY, Jordan
ROBSON, Braden
SAMA, Alex
SIO, Tre-Deuce
THOMAS, Jayden
TIMU, Justin
TREACY, Bobby
TUIVASA-SCHECK, Johnny
VANN, Michael
WATSON, Connor
WISHAM, Darnell

Shy Mariner not listed in this squad but is trialling with the Roosters SGBall team,a Penrith Junior & younger brother of Jakiel Mariner former SGBall player of the year.His junior footy was cut short because of a health issue but I believe he is back & fitter.He will make the squad IMO a great talent.

I heard when the Knights oversaw the Centurians rep program that Central Coast players were off limits...unless you were signed with Peter Mulholland, what a crock of shit that was.

Looking at the numbers of players going here, there and everywhere isn't this all getting away from what Harold Matts and S.G.Ball is all about. I thought these competitions were about development. They are nine week competitions. Clubs always have easier draws than other clubs and make the finals series. Clubs should be rewarded for the amount of local juniors in each squad, maybe they need to have an import limit of five outsiders allowed. Clubs with small juniors numbers like the Roosters could adopt a Country area or have players that were overlooked by their local clubs (this would have to be confirmed by their local club first that they were not required). Until something like this is enforced league will always be ruled by others with secret agendas and not the sports best interests a heart. I heard Manly were focussing on this and that they weren't looking outside of their competition boundaries and that the only players not from the Manly competition were those already contracted previously or who already had siblings within the club. I'm not sure if North Sydney players were included in this as they play in a combined competition with the Manly juniors. Manly have contracted three Central Coast kids but are allowing them to play with the Centurians in Matts and Ball and will then snatch them up if they are required for Toyota Cup. If this is true....well done Manly.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Kab,

Heard on the grapevine that the Tigers will run their top 13 (17) on, barring injuries, at the start the trial against the Coast and than make replacements as the trial progresses.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Looking at the numbers of players going here, there and everywhere isn't this all getting away from what Harold Matts and S.G.Ball is all about. I thought these competitions were about development. They are nine week competitions. Clubs always have easier draws than other clubs and make the finals series. Clubs should be rewarded for the amount of local juniors in each squad, maybe they need to have an import limit of five outsiders allowed. Clubs with small juniors numbers like the Roosters could adopt a Country area or have players that were overlooked by their local clubs (this would have to be confirmed by their local club first that they were not required). Until something like this is enforced league will always be ruled by others with secret agendas and not the sports best interests a heart. I heard Manly were focussing on this and that they weren't looking outside of their competition boundaries and that the only players not from the Manly competition were those already contracted previously or who already had siblings within the club. I'm not sure if North Sydney players were included in this as they play in a combined competition with the Manly juniors. Manly have contracted three Central Coast kids but are allowing them to play with the Centurians in Matts and Ball and will then snatch them up if they are required for Toyota Cup. If this is true....well done Manly.

More power to Manly if this is true; but, if they are only going to use their local juniors (say, no Norths juniors as they have their own rep sides) than under the current recruitment set up for HM and Cup sides, I would expect they will be on the end of some serious blow out scores.

I agree with much of what you have articulated, above.

Last edited:
I can see why Manly would be doing it though, they themselves are struggling financially and still finishing near the bottom. Why spend $8-10k on players to perform marginally better, the Roosters aren't much better yet these two fought out the 2014 NRL GF...says alot about the importance of junior reps in the bigger scheme of things.

Last edited:

Latest posts