What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 signings

Frailty

First Grade
Mills has been good in NSW Cup, but hasn't performed in NRL aside from his first few games.
He was given chances in centres this year and didn't perform.

Wouldn't be upset to see him leave.

carcharias

Immortal
Mills has been good in NSW Cup, but hasn't performed in NRL aside from his first few games.
He was given chances in centres this year and didn't perform.

Wouldn't be upset to see him leave.

I agree

Simmo used to suck too.

I think Mills needs a go. Be cheap and be very happy to stay I'd guess

DJShaksta

First Grade
As I said on the weekend, he was phenomenal against Norths - a side which included a lot of Souths NRL players. I would love to see him transfer that to NRL.
He has not done so to date.

RUBIKS

Juniors
What is this, his first year uninjured and reports are he's better at the end of the year than at the start? Wow, what a surprise.

Terrible winger, terrible fullback. I do think he goes alright at centre in NSW cup.

Can he make the step up, I dunno? However I reckon he'd go better than Wright or Ayshford if he got a similar amount of games.

That game against Manly I thought he was actually starting to show glimpses. Then Gordon got injured and he moved to cover Beau's wing... where he was crap.

I agree with Carch, if he accepts a second tier contract or minimum wage, then why not? It's not like we have blokes banging down our doors to come here.

carcharias

Immortal
Mills has been going good the last few weeks.
defence has been solid and running hard. scored 3 on the weekend.

I think it is worth the gamble ..
Rather have a bloke on avg wage with obvious talent who wants to be here over some dude who can't get a gig anywhere else... and pay him on more money.

centres only though.

coolumsharkie

Referee
The main advantage for him is that he is still young and has potential, I think that he may have been over-awed this year in firsts. Perhaps a bit of time to mature into it is what he needs.

carcharias

Immortal
I agree he has been absolute poo at times this year.
For some strange reason I think he is yet to get his shit together.

Be a shame to see it happen at another club like the f**king dragons.

ghoti

Bench
Mills doesn't seem to have the urgency or killer instinct that good backs do, a lot of hesitance in his game which you can't get really get rid of. Interested to see how he goes in the Grand Final.

Leutele was looking really good in his first three games this year, I'd see how his off-season goes. Ayshford is solid, Pomeroy can do the job (sometimes), Wright had some great games at the back end of the season...

There's enough competition in there to create something worthwhile...but we need a gun to win it, none of those players question the opposition enough to take the pressure off Carney and Robbo.

If we have threatening centres it at least makes the opposition defence wonder about what's going on outside our edge running back rowers...will make us more damaging all over the park if we have a Fergo on the books

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Look, I wasnt Jonos biggest fan atthe start of the year. But, I think we might have a star on our hands here.
There are probably 1/2 dozen things for him to work on for next year.
1. his kick chase. Its either there or it isnt. needs to be there 100%
2. His Right to left pass
3. His urgency on the bombs & bomb defusal. Hes got a height advantage already, needs to use it.
4. players getting on his outside sholder when hes defending. Hes not quick enough to turn & catch
5. support play
6. Needs to drop back to fullback in attack a few times during games.

I thought Jono absolutely toasted Lyons in that semi. But he needs to load all the chambers in his gun when he goes because a few times after the hard work he looked a little lost of what to do.

Marchad

Juniors
Look, I wasnt Jonos biggest fan atthe start of the year. But, I think we might have a star on our hands here.
There are probably 1/2 dozen things for him to work on for next year.
1. his kick chase. Its either there or it isnt. needs to be there 100%
2. His Right to left pass
3. His urgency on the bombs & bomb defusal. Hes got a height advantage already, needs to use it.
4. players getting on his outside sholder when hes defending. Hes not quick enough to turn & catch
5. support play
6. Needs to drop back to fullback in attack a few times during games.

I thought Jono absolutely toasted Lyons in that semi. But he needs to load all the chambers in his gun when he goes because a few times after the hard work he looked a little lost of what to do.
Lyons was also injured in that semi
Feki into centre and get a speedy winger we lack real speed outside

DJShaksta

First Grade
Jono Wright started the year slowly, looked a little lost.
But came on strong towards the end.
Hoping a good off season sees him continue the momentum.

ghoti

Bench
Feki into centre and get a speedy winger we lack real speed outside

Would be interested to see him have a crack at centre...he seems like an unnatural winger at times, not convinced he'll ever get over his high ball woes.

And yeah agree on Wright, he was really good at the back end of the season...don't know if he's elusive enough to ask questions with the ball in hand, not much of a draw in pass...he ain't Lyon..

stevie013

Juniors
Mills doesn't seem to have the urgency or killer instinct that good backs do, a lot of hesitance in his game which you can't get really get rid of. Interested to see how he goes in the Grand Final.

Leutele was looking really good in his first three games this year, I'd see how his off-season goes. Ayshford is solid, Pomeroy can do the job (sometimes), Wright had some great games at the back end of the season...

There's enough competition in there to create something worthwhile...but we need a gun to win it, none of those players question the opposition enough to take the pressure off Carney and Robbo.

If we have threatening centres it at least makes the opposition defence wonder about what's going on outside our edge running back rowers...will make us more damaging all over the park if we have a Fergo on the books

while mills has played well towards the back end of the season in NSW cup, his attitude is his biggest problem

Madsharkie

First Grade
Jono Wright started the year slowly, looked a little lost.
But came on strong towards the end.
Hoping a good off season sees him continue the momentum.

I think he may have been carrying a back problem earlier in the season. I thought he def improved as the season went on though. Could also play wing (like he did successfully at the dogs ).

Vin Fizz

Bench
Curious one is our Jono. He warms into his work. I thought he did the same at the Dogs ie starts off a bit languid and ponderous but then gets a sniff and steps up. That try against Manly in the Semi was a ripper. He just saw the opportunity open up inside and he was away....untouched as well. He likes to step back into the centre which at times makes him run those bloody Paris like crabbing runs to nowhere. Will kill it if we start opening up opponents on the fringe where he can get in behind and use his size a bit. That right to left pass problem Reefy mentioned explains that bombed try in the semi. He could have had Feck in on our left wing but chose to dummy and step off his left. He got caught on the fifth and the ensuing kick on the 6th stunk the place up. Need to get that combination going. If Gal stays a bit tighter in 2014 maybe Lewie could switch across to that side with Flash trailing to put some inside defenders in 2 minds. I reckon if we can get fek into clear space a lot more hell be our Wolfman.

Latest posts