What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah seems like a pretty safe bet.

I wouldn't rule as out of winning the comp. If I was sure Roberts was going to go well at centre & few other things.

The 'safe' 17 I am expecting should do enough to get the 2 wins we needed to make it this year.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Exactly. Injures mean Cartwright and co who I don't see getting a go will play and we won't be any worse off. Infact would strengthen the team

Yes I agree. The same thing that happened last year. Original team suffered a few injuries , in comes Moylan, Johns, move Whare to centre and we start to win games.

Puntastic

Juniors
I think we have depth to manage most positions without too much damage.

We're thin in the prop stocks I think - Anderson is more than capable but two or three injuries will really halt us in our tracks because we don't have big meter-eating backrowers to compensate.

An injury to Soward could really derail us.

An injury to Segs would see us lose the x-factor that will make the difference in those close games. I think he's due back safely for round 1?

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't think any single player being injured would hurt us too much. I also think front row is where we would be hurt the most with injury. I think the drop from Grant, McKendry, Kite and Plum to the rest is the biggest gap in quality. Backs we could arguably find even better players with injury, second row injuries would just make team selection easier. Hooker I think we are fine with Segs, Kingston, Foster , Moseley and if needed Brown or Taylor. Wallace and/or Soward injured brings in John and possibly a look at Moylan in the halves.

Front row we go from international quality to promising depth in Sam Anderson to reserve grade quality.

maple_69

Bench
We could afford injuries at fullback, wing, centre, half (not Soward), second row, lock.
Soward and Segs are the only guys that would halt us.
Then again as much as we want the young guys in the team, 10-12 injuries like this year isn't going to be great for them or us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Lets look at depth players in positions we look short in:

John, Moylan, Peachey, Foster can all play halves. Brown, Taylor hooker. That's not using Capewell/Humble.

Docker, Manu, Latimore, Anderson, RCG all can play prop.

Naiqama, Moss, DWZ, Roberts, Mansour all can play fb.

hindy111

Post Whore
Simmons not in your starting team? lol after year he had- One of the better wingers in the comp last year.

shiznit

Coach
Reckon Dean Whare is gonna come back from this world cup as a deadset superstar....

I know he's always been a really good footballer but he's deadset going to a new level in the UK...

His test will be Australia... But him and RTS have the makings of a killer right edge for the kiwis for a long time...

Yeah previous management wouldn't have went after a player like Whare, Gus for all is faults (being a rubbish biased annoying commentater) knows what he's doing and this signing proves it

hardbaby

Coach
Yeah previous management wouldn't have went after a player like Whare, Gus for all is faults (being a rubbish biased annoying commentater) knows what he's doing and this signing proves it

True. Gould has really got this club moving upwards and forwards and you have to respect that. The makings of a fantastic side. Mind you, he also signed Wallace and Soward. Why on earth would he mould such a strong side then blow it in the halves? Two of the four most important positions and he settled for bog average.

Tone83

Juniors
Yes it does seem strangely bone-headed from gus to sign those two losers. But I respect his other moves so much I wonder if maybe he knows something I don't? Wallace and Soward did each have one decent season. Maybe gus believes you judge a player on their best day, rather than their worst, and then focus on trying to make sure they have more good days by looking after them a certain way. I don't know, this is admittedly massive mental gymnastics because they're both so friggin awful I can't even believe it. But I do also respect gus' judgement. He's got some great pieces elsewhere, I'm very excited about panthers in 2014 and beyond.

We chased Thurston and Carney with everything we had but it didn't come off. We needed to get rid of Luke Walsh at all costs and Soward was the best available player. Wallace. ..........well im happy to trust Ivan and Gus

Big Mick

Referee

TBH I was pumping Whare up when he was still in Jersey Flegg at the Dragons. I loved watching him play going through the grades. But I also knew the previous management would never go after a guy like that...he wasn't on the scrape pile and cheap or young and cheap.

I knew he'd be wasted essentially at the Sea Eagles.

Great that he is finally here.

I also however championed Bryan Norrie....and that we did sign. While not a superstar...he was a solid Craig Stapleton like contributor. But I was WAAAAAAY off the expectation I had for him. I thought he'd be a very good player.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
I do not trust the Wallace signing, I believe he is and will be shit, his signing and letting Evans go makes me very angry, we will see if I'm wrong.

Doomednow

Bench
Jeez these Wallace discussions are getting repetitive. Do we have anything else to talk about in the off season?