What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

mxlegend99

Referee
It's pretty amazing how people are jumping on former rep players as terrible signings. They could end up playing poorly for us and a waste of money, but they could also be bargain buys that perform the job that Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould signed them to do.

Realistically not every signing will perform as we hope they will. But having recruitment consisting of:

Brent Kite - 10 Origins, 14 Tests, 4 Grand Finals (for 2 wins and a CC medal)
Jamie Soward - 3 Origins, 1 GF (and a win)
Peter Wallace - 4 Origins, 4 tests for Scotland,
Kevin Naiqama - 7 tests for Fiji
Tyrone Peachey
Elijah Taylor - Current NZ rep
Shaun Spence
Will Smith
Leilani Latu

Don't know anything about those last 3 players. But the rest are all better signings then we were signing before Gus came onboard. Especially when you add them to the 2013 recruits. In 2013 the only dud signing was Wes Naiqama, and he probably helped us sign Kevin. In which case every 2013 signing was worthwhile.

I'm not certain that Wallace or even Soward will be great signings or even good ones. But they certainly have that potential there, and I think that Ivan Cleary targetting these specific players means that they can offer the team something.

Jeez these Wallace discussions are getting repetitive. Do we have anything else to talk about in the off season?

I haven't got enough posts yet so I can't post a link, but there was a good Eto Nabuli story on the telegraph website yesterday talking up his chances of debuting next year for us.
Its under the Penrith section.

MrAnonymous

Bench
How do you know Wallace is a terrible signing when he hasn't even played a f**king game for us yet ?

Last edited:
Soward will be kicking 95% of the time and Walsh had the worst passing game in the comp but Wallace is a good defender so no matter what he's an upgrade

mxlegend99

Referee
How many shit players have signed for Storm and looked quality due to having a good team around them and a coach giving them a simple job that he knows he can get them performing well. Ivan Cleary proved this year he can get players doing just that.

soc123_au

Staff member
Kerrie Ann would make a decent replacement for Mose. A full off season to drop a few KGs & she would provide some impact off the bench.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Based on the best information available. His consistent shitness for the Broncos carried over to his shitness in the WC.

Based on the best information available, Ivan Cleary is a better judge of a fooballer then you are.so I think ill back his judgement over yours.

meek

Juniors
Based on the best information available. His consistent shitness for the Broncos carried over to his shitness in the WC.

spot on - these clowns that think he's a good player - give yourselves an uppercut

geez - please give some examples of his brilliance in the last 2years or so

BTW there is a reason theres so much discussion - some of us are very worried by this signing -
But as a panthers supporter I hope I m wrong and Ivan turns him into a gun

Tone83

Juniors
I just hope he manages to stay out of the way. My philosophy on the game in general is the halves don't have to be stars, as long as they are humble and know they aren't stars and can just feed the stars, it's probably good to save money on them.

My concern is that soward and wallace might be dumb enough to think they're stars on this team, over play their hands and ruin the team. Hope not. I really like the look of the pennies otherwise and want to follow them this year.

Yes I'm a fair weather fan, at the start of a season I look at the teams and decide I like some and then I support them. Would never be loyal to a club, they have to deserve my support by making good moves and good decisions and piecing together a quality side, anything less is tantamount to a slap in the face. I like this panthers side, but yeah sowie and wallace are concerns.

maple_69

Bench
He's not ideal but these guys will be our best halves pairing since 05 (Campbell was a liability in 06). That's 8 years of mediocrity. I'd love Johnson but I think they've improved the halves so am not going to complain. My hope is if Wallace doesn't turn out well, they have the guts to drop him for John.

Randy81

Juniors
Still going on about Wallace? Ffs we finally have options in key positions (foster moylan john wallace soward etc etc) Those in the best form will emerge for selection under a competitive environment.

We have a good squad with quality prop rotation, exciting backrowers, lightning quick/ emerging backs and arguably some of the best impact with peachey and Segeyaro.

Cheer up Ffs.

Tone83

Juniors
Still going on about Wallace? Ffs we finally have options in key positions (foster moylan john wallace soward etc etc) Those in the best form will emerge for selection under a competitive environment.

We have a good squad with quality prop rotation, exciting backrowers, lightning quick/ emerging backs and arguably some of the best impact with peachey and Segeyaro.

Cheer up Ffs.
I agree with you, I mean wallace and soward are shit but panthers fans still have more to be excited about than they have for a long long long time. I'd be very surprised if this team didn't do well. Too many weapons across the park, I see them just overwhelming opposition with points. This is a new look panthers, and immediately a contender, for the minor premiership anyway.