What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

mxlegend99

Referee
Simmo and Kingston will both be there if fit . But they aren't in our 17 best players. They won't let us down when/if needed, but we have genuine attacking freaks in their positions. If they are part of our team mid-season and someone like K. Naiqama, Segeyaro, Nabouli, Roberts etc. is missing out on gametime. Cleary is deadset kidding himself.

I guarantee if we had all of our players off contract, Simmo and Kingston would be 2 of the last to be signed.

hindy111

Post Whore
Simmons was one of the best wingers in the NRL last year.
He starts! Nabuoli Roberts and Naigama have potential for first grade but simmons gets first chance!
Gee penrith have some depth thou

franklin2323

Immortal
No way Simmons isn't starting in Week 1

Yep. Simmons, Kingston, Wallace & Kite will all start the year in the starting side. Even with them in the side we look a top 8 side.

Aside from Simmons the rest don't stack up to other options. Kite while not terrible him starting plays McKendry or Grant on the bench.

If injuries occur & they aren't playing. The question will be has the coach got big enough balls to keep them in NSW Cup. That's the difference between top 4 & say 6th or so.

maple_69

Bench
I'd like to see midway through the year
Moylan, Naiqama, Whare, Idris, Nabuli, Soward, Wallace, Plum, Segeyaro, Grant, Brown, Manu, Taylor, Kite, Mckendry and whichever two of Cartwright, VTK, Docker, Peachey or Robinson deserves the spot.

Defebsively that side is going to be very strong, especially if they show the same attitude as 2013. Moylan and Naiqama are safe at the back and I'm confident Nabuli will improve given his progress last year. Docker, Plum, Whare and Manu offer big hits and intimidation.
In attack Naiqama and Nabuli will offer great targets for Sowards kicks as will Idris. Wallace can attack the right with Manu and Idris on his hip. He won't need to do too much. Moylan can chip in given we may need something extra playmaking wise and fulfil a Darius Boyd role.
I wonder who will play on the left for us. Idris and Whare were both right side last year. I remember Whare on the left a bit for Manly though so figured he may be able to adapt better. Naiqama, Nabuli, Roberts and Mansour all left side wingers to.

Tone83

Juniors
Given the Idris signing, and thinking more about the players we have. My revised team for what I'd like to see at full strength, based on expected performances.

1. Kevin Naiqama
2. James Roberts (LW)
3. Jamal Idris (LC)
4. Dean Whare (RC)
5. Josh Mansour (RW)
6. Jamie Soward
7. Peter Wallace
8. Brent Kite
9. James Segeyaro
10. Tim Grant
11. Sika Manu (RSR)
12. Matt Robinson (LSR)
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Lewis Brown
15. Nigel Plum
16. Sam McKendry
17. Adam Docker / Tyrone Peachey / Bryce Cartright / Anthony Cherrington / Vaipuna Tia Kilifi

Would love to see Nabouli, Jennings and DWZ get a run in the backs at some point.
Would love to see Moylan, Foster and John given a crack at the halfback and/or utility spots.
Wouldn't want to be the coach deciding between which second rowers get picked and who plays reserve grade. Might even be worth going for a rotation policy... there's too many quality options and we might not have even seen the best ones in a Panthers jersey yet.

This team should push for the top 4. If Wallace fails at halfback, which is probably a 50/50 chance at the moment. I'd look at Isaac John as his first choice replacement. I'd also give Moylan and Foster a chance (from the bench) to show what they offer. Honestly I'd probably even try and work it so they get that chance regardless of how Wallace performs. It would be pretty hard not to look great behind that forward pack, feeding the ball to those centres. :lol:
Your team is pretty much spot on but I'd have peachey at 14 all day every day. Perfect spark player.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well that was a full strength team, and we won't likely see that side until mid-season with Sika Manu injured and missing half the year. Him out pretty much guarantees Peachey a spot, and by mid-season we will know who is worth keeping out of Docker, Robinson and Peachey... and which should go for Manu when he is fit and firing.

Even then... we will most likely have injuries that determine those things for us and it wouldn't be often we would have all of those available to select at once.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd like to see midway through the year
Moylan, Naiqama, Whare, Idris, Nabuli, Soward, Wallace, Plum, Segeyaro, Grant, Brown, Manu, Taylor, Kite, Mckendry and whichever two of Cartwright, VTK, Docker, Peachey or Robinson deserves the spot.

Defebsively that side is going to be very strong, especially if they show the same attitude as 2013. Moylan and Naiqama are safe at the back and I'm confident Nabuli will improve given his progress last year. Docker, Plum, Whare and Manu offer big hits and intimidation.
In attack Naiqama and Nabuli will offer great targets for Sowards kicks as will Idris. Wallace can attack the right with Manu and Idris on his hip. He won't need to do too much. Moylan can chip in given we may need something extra playmaking wise and fulfil a Darius Boyd role.
I wonder who will play on the left for us. Idris and Whare were both right side last year. I remember Whare on the left a bit for Manly though so figured he may be able to adapt better. Naiqama, Nabuli, Roberts and Mansour all left side wingers to.

Simmons/Whare had a great combination on the right. I would keep that while Simmons is in the team.

Big Mick

Referee
I think I can create 3 teams with our depth:

NRL:
1. Kevin Naiqama
2. Josh Mansour
3. Jamaal Idris
4. Dean Whare
5. James Roberts
6. Jamie Soward
7. Peter Wallace
8. Brent Kite
9. James Segeyaro
10. Tim Grant
11. Lewis Brown
12. Sika Manu
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Tyrone Peachey
15. Sam McKendry
16. Nigel Plum
17. Matt Robinson

Reserve Grade:
1. Keiran Moss
2. Etu Nabuli
3. Waqa Blake
4. George Jennings
5. David Simmons
6. Matt Moylan
7. Issac John
8. Jeremy Latimore
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
11. Anthony Cherrington
12. Bryce Cartwright
13. Adam Docker

14. Daniel Foster
15. Sam Anderson
16. Vaipuna Tia-Kilifi
17. Nathan Smith

Further Depth:
1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Wes Naiqama
3. Will Smith
4. Tom Eisenhuth
5. Jared Wilson
6. Tom Humble
7. Luke Capewell
8. Chris Smith
9. Kierran Moseley
10. Andy Saunders
11. Sean Spence
12. Ryan Simpkins
13. Ethan Cook

14. Blake South
15. Mitchell Clark
16. Iain Riccardi
17. Issah Yeo

In other words....you better be on your game...because if you are not there is someone there ready and waiting to take your spot.

Panther Pete

Juniors
You certainly highlight the depth we now have Mick and I am particularly excited about some of our backs either in contention for first grade this year or in future. I still have some concerns about the halves, I am just hoping a fresh start will spark them and the fact they are playing behind a pretty decent forward pack!!

Doomednow

Bench
No way can we hang on to that sort of depth. Anyone with talent will be looking elsewhere in no time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Alot of those depth players will be gone by seasons end.

Smith, Kingston, W.Naiqama, Capewell, Humble & Eisenhuth off contract won't be re-signed.

Rumour has been for a while Jennings is off to Roosters until he re-signs it's a chance.

Mansour off-contract season's end no guarantee he will make the team so may go. DWZ may go to do missionery work for 2 years after contract.

A few still have a year or so to run in NYC could be like Satini & fall away in the last year of NYC.

age.s

First Grade
I actually think McKendry is better off the bench. He's not an 80 minute player anyway and his impact is stronger when he comes on after 20 minutes or so IMO.

Big Mick

Referee
Alot of those depth players will be gone by seasons end.

Smith, Kingston, W.Naiqama, Capewell, Humble & Eisenhuth off contract won't be re-signed.

Rumour has been for a while Jennings is off to Roosters until he re-signs it's a chance.

Mansour off-contract season's end no guarantee he will make the team so may go. DWZ may go to do missionery work for 2 years after contract.

A few still have a year or so to run in NYC could be like Satini & fall away in the last year of NYC.

Agreed.

I don't like the chances of Mansour being re-signed since we have Nabuli, Roberts, Moylan, Jennings, Blake, DWZ all waiting in the wings.

I think Simmons may even go after this year potentially.

I think Plum may go after 2014 as well

So we have significant depth this year but a lot of guys will go at year's end as you say and be replaced by younger, local players which can only be a good thing.

chrisD

Coach
I do think it's Gould's plan that Simmons and Mansour won't be starting by the end of the season.

betcats

Referee
I do think it's Gould's plan that Simmons and Mansour won't be starting by the end of the season.

Hmm I agree. Simmons and to a lesser extent Mansour earned the right last season to start 2014 as our wingers but there is too much talent coming through. Simmons probably wont ever have a season as good as last year and while Mansour can certainly improve on a good year i think the potential of Nabuli, Roberts, Naqiama, Jennings is too high not to give them a shot.

DWZ also might be ready this season. It will be very interesting too see how we manage all these guys, I am slightly nervous.

Madrooster

Juniors
I'd have Mansour in a heartbeat! Those young guys look like stars in 20's and NSW Cup but NRL they all have long way to get to Mansour.