What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

mxlegend99

Referee
Eels. But it was Ben Roberts he ran through IIRC. Also did well against Storm. But Slater didn't show up in that game. Simmo made a break and Slater didn't chase at all. Would have saved a try for sure if he did.

chrisD

Coach
Eels. But it was Ben Roberts he ran through IIRC. Also did well against Storm. But Slater didn't show up in that game. Simmo made a break and Slater didn't chase at all. Would have saved a try for sure if he did.

Storm was an intercept or else it didn't make the highlight reel and all tries do. So he had one for the season.

Kilkenny

Coach
I seem to recall Simmons making his share of line breaks in 2013. He was very consistent and bar one relatively poor game was terrific for us. As for Nabouli I saw him at least half a dozen times for the Wolves and was terrific under the high ball in both attach and defence. He has no handling issues. His biggest issue is his positional play in defence and his reading of the game in defence that is where he may be found out in the top grade. Having said that I'm sure the coaching staff have been working overtime to address these issues. Will definitely debut at some stage in 2014.

franklin2323

Immortal
Moylan/Mansour/Simmons will start the year as our back 3. Hard to argue with that...

Like Kilkenny I rate Nabuli, Naiqama's had a few years in NSW Cup. Moss by the end could be ready. All 3 offer speed and great under the high ball.

It will be a mistake if atleast 1 or 2 of Moylan/Mansour/Simmons aren't gone by years end,

Kilkenny

Coach
The tragic injury to James Roberts certainly opens the door for the likes of Nabuli and George Jennings for a wing spot.

Kilkenny

Coach
Moylan/Mansour/Simmons will start the year as our back 3. Hard to argue with that...

Like Kilkenny I rate Nabuli, Naiqama's had a few years in NSW Cup. Moss by the end could be ready. All 3 offer speed and great under the high ball.

It will be a mistake if atleast 1 or 2 of Moylan/Mansour/Simmons aren't gone by years end,

I think the key to the backline is who Ivan goes with in the number one.

I think the fact they resigned Moss to a three year deal gives a pointer into how high they rate him and he could be a dark horse for round one.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see a Moss, Nabuli & Naigama line up against the Knights in Round 1. Power and pace there. At the same time I am hearing Mansour is training the house down and in great shape.

From the coaches perspective it is a great position to be in and we haven't seen depth like we have now for a long, long time even allowing for the disappointing injuries to a few.

Kilkenny

Coach
We clearly have the depth to cover injuries in almost all positions with the exception of the key 6 & 7.

The key to 2014 is Soward & Wallace staying fit and healthy. You can argue Isaac John is a capable back up, but he is no world beater and we will have problems is either Soward or Wallace sustains significant injury during the course of the season.

Soward & Wallace offer us direction and potentially the best defensive and offensive kicking game in the comp. We largely don't need much else from either although Soward at his best is an attacking weapon given his pace in a bit of space.

mxlegend99

Referee
Soward is the only half we need to stay fit.

Wallace gets injured. John comes in. Possibly as an upgrade.

Both are injured, we have Matt Moylan and Daniel Foster. Both could do a similar job also, and possibly even be an upgrade on Wallace (depending on his form). They're all injured... we can then look at Tyrone Peachey.

I can see any being a capable halves pairing with Soward. But if Sowie is injured, and it's Wallace partnering one of them... :sarcasm:

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the key to the backline is who Ivan goes with in the number one.

Moss would be my fullback though needs to start the year in NSW Cup.

Naiqama as an option but can do the same things on the wing. Moss is as fast. As safe under the high ball. His support play is outstanding that can't be used off the wing.

Moylan should be training as a half with a look to moving him there. I think him & Soward could be a great combo.

maple_69

Bench
Moss doesn't have a big window to prove himself either. DWZ should be ready some time next year and with Idris, Whare and Roberts it's unlikely he'd shift to centre. Moss should be giving it his all this off season.

Shame about Roberts given he would have starred in the Nines especially.

Puntastic

Juniors
Cleary likes certainty, safety and security. Simmons isn't the most dynamic winger in the game (and he isn't the athlete our other wingers are), but he does his job, and he does it well. He's competent. He's low risk, and while he's potentially low reward (compared to the explosive 'potential' of Roberts, Nabuli, Naiqama, Jennings) he leaves nothing uncertain, and that's something to be desired in a team as liquid as ours. He also provides consistency that the others lack.

Simmons was one of the three leading try scorers in 2014 because of the brilliance of Whare, and I don't think many question this, but that's not to dismiss his impeccable positioning either, nor the rapport that the two have developed. When the time comes, Whare putting Roberts/Nabuli into holes will be an even more dangerous combination, but I suspect Cleary will be inclined to stick with familiarity for the immediate future. Simmons is also a relatively calm, collected diffuser of bombs, and arguably a better defender than others after his position.

I've always liked Josh Mansour. He mightn't score as many tries as other wingers, but he makes an astonishing number of meters, breaks tackles, and really gives our forwards some respite. You cant win games if you cant get into their half. I'm glad to hear he's training the house down; he's a good player to have. It's a shame that sooner than later we'll have to choose who stays and who goes.

Copperhead

Juniors
Cleary likes certainty, safety and security. Simmons isn't the most dynamic winger in the game (and he isn't the athlete our other wingers are), but he does his job, and he does it well. He's competent. He's low risk, and while he's potentially low reward (compared to the explosive 'potential' of Roberts, Nabuli, Naiqama, Jennings) he leaves nothing uncertain, and that's something to be desired in a team as liquid as ours. He also provides consistency that the others lack.

Simmons was one of the three leading try scorers in 2014 because of the brilliance of Whare, and I don't think many question this, but that's not to dismiss his impeccable positioning either, nor the rapport that the two have developed. When the time comes, Whare putting Roberts/Nabuli into holes will be an even more dangerous combination, but I suspect Cleary will be inclined to stick with familiarity for the immediate future. Simmons is also a relatively calm, collected diffuser of bombs, and arguably a better defender than others after his position.

That's all true. He also has another asset not spoken about much....durability.
For all Roberts undoubted ability, he can't play more than a few games in a row without another extended spell injured. Simmons adds stability. It mightn't be flashy, but it's important.

franklin2323

Immortal
Safe and reliable players will do the job against 75% of sides. To be top 4 or premiers you need the freakiest talent in the side.

Do we want to be happy with just making the 8? If so we keep the safe players if not we inject others a player at a time.

Atleast 10 of Nabuli's tries he was no one in the frame when the kick was put in. Roberts scored a similar try v GC. Moss similar a break is made no one anywhere to be seen. Out of no where Moss pops up.

The same can't be said for our regular back 3. Dallen at 18 is a year or 2 from being an option. Even longer if he goes on the mission.

soc123_au

Staff member
When and against who did Simmons break the line of his own accord?

He broke the line at least twice in the one play to score in one game. admittedly it was against Parra. He deserved his extension, what he does with it is up to him. I still think his contributions are under rated. Playing along side Whare boosted his stats, but he is still a very smart player in his own right. The combo with Whare was a 2 way street. As someone else stated if he had the physical prowess as someone like Nebuli he could be one of the best wingers to lace a boot.

franklin2323

Immortal
Just a slight exaggeration.

I see Mansour as a great interchange backrower. he's far too slow given we have 2 huge centres for the hard stuff. Limits the need to play him for the hard stuff & give up so much speed to opposition wingers

2/3 he scored against Wenty at Centrebet he was 10m behind the opposite winger. Against Monty's at Centrebet did the same atleast once maybe twice. Sharks at Centrebet the same. Against Manly at Windsor he had was on the sideline. 10m out & ran the angle caught it and scored next to the posts.

That stuff you can't train.

Latest posts