What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

mxlegend99

Referee
Just watched the Nabouli tries. Atleast 10 of those are tries that David Simmons and Josh Mansour would have next to no chance at scoring. Some absolutely freakish talent to run in to contest a kick without slowing down and coming away with the ball.

That's the reason he and James Roberts should be our wingers by the end of the season. James Roberts scored a try exactly like that against the Gold Coast. They will score 95% of the same tries that Mansour and Simmons would. But will also score many tries that they couldn't dream of. They have the pace to finish off all the opportunities Idris and Whare create. They have the speed and timing to contest kicks that most people wouldn't think possible to contest... which will be 10 times more valuable with Jamie Soward and his pinpoint kicking game.

I want Mansour to somehow play part in the team. The guy looks in ridiculous shape at the moment, and aside from a few games after his injury has been in our top 5 players every game he has played. He even scored some freakish tries at the end of the season to prove he can finish when the opportunities are there. But he certainly isn't quick enough to compete with Roberts and Nabouli on the wings. Idris and Whare have the centre spots locked up. So it's hard to see where Mansour could play for us. He runs hard enough to play in the forwards, and certainly looks more built then any of them. But with the talent we have there, you can't really afford to give him a run unless we have a huge injury toll.

Simmons I don't rate quiet as highly, but even if I did... how can you keep someone in the team ahead of players with the freakish talent and ability that Roberts and Nabouli possess? As mentioned earlier, we won't win a grand final by sticking with the solid players and not picking the best talents we have available.

mxlegend99

Referee
Some of his training pictures. The guy looks like he has bulked up a lot. Jamal Idris in his interview commented on the size of both Eto Nabouli and Josh Mansour.

Never considered him as a forward before this season, but given the talent in the backs. He might have to seriously consider playing in the second row. He looks a bit bigger then Lewis Brown in the pictures IMO. In his past couple of years he was arguably the hardest running player on the field aswell. So it's definitely not impossible for him to make the transition.

It's just a matter of whether he is able to match it with the ridiculous second row talent we have aswell. IMO he atleast has the strengths to match it with our other options in the second row, but he does not to match our wingers.

1010805_10152182518641085_652104411_n.jpg

1504998_10152115786346085_1880008696_n.jpg

1517481_10152115786656085_575331022_n.jpg

1468664_10152115785946085_720919678_n.jpg

1511259_10152115780121085_1192875259_n.jpg

franklin2323

Immortal
Atleast 10 of those are tries that David Simmons and Josh Mansour would have next to no chance at scoring.

I did a quick think in my head & got 10 where he was no where scored

No reason Mansour can't come off the bench. Peachey's speed & footwork. His power & offloading skill would be too much for a tiring prop to handle.

If he makes a break we have fast wingers too support an injury to a back he goes out there.

franklin2323

Immortal
Atleast 10 of those are tries that David Simmons and Josh Mansour would have next to no chance at scoring.

I did a quick think in my head & got 10 where he was no where scored

No reason Mansour can't come off the bench. Peachey's speed & footwork. His power & offloading skill would be too much for a tiring prop to handle.

If he makes a break we have fast wingers too support an injury to a back he goes out there.

maple_69

Bench
It's really going to depend on who we have at fullback as well as a few other factors I think. With Moylan likely to be starting, we'd want a Mansour in the back 3 for that firdt or second hit up takibg us over the advantage line to start the set. If it ends up being Naiqama that's not going to be a huge issue.
If Wallace tanks Moylan could move to the halves effecting our back 3 balance as well.

Mansour, Moylan and Simmons certainly deserve to start I think. I'm not yet convinced Roberts and Nabuli will be better options than Mansour but certainly should push Simmons out at some stage. Naiqama is my pick of the bunch though. He will be a star.

chrisD

Coach
He broke the line at least twice in the one play to score in one game. admittedly it was against Parra. He deserved his extension, what he does with it is up to him. I still think his contributions are under rated. Playing along side Whare boosted his stats, but he is still a very smart player in his own right. The combo with Whare was a 2 way street. As someone else stated if he had the physical prowess as someone like Nebuli he could be one of the best wingers to lace a boot.

What game against Parra? What year? All the tries for the whole season are up on the net and there's no play like you describe. He broke the line against parra from a scrum and scored. Simmon's ball running is not a regular threat to a defensive line despite the many make believe plays people feel the need to attribute him.

mxlegend99

Referee
Actually the try where he broke the line against Parra wasn't even scored by David Simmons. I was just watching the game last night. He ran straight through Reni Maitua and Ben Roberts, and was chased down by Hayne pretty quickly, but he got a ball away to Moylan who was matching him for pace quiet comfortably who passed to Segeyaro to score. It was a great effort by Simmons to bust through the line, but is also a great example of his lack of pace. Fortunately in this case we still scored the try.

Footage from my phone (came out with a bad flicker though):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rxnO-dM2q4

I remembered that linebreak and who he ran over, but didn't realise he was chased down and it was another player who scored. Not sure how I forgot that part, as my main memories of Moylan from that game are being perfectly positioned to get the ball away for a couple of tries.

David Simmons did finish the game off with a great try... Luke Walsh put in a perfect kick spotting that the Eels winger had come up and put in a kick that Simmons took on the full with no pressure.

soc123_au

Staff member
That is the one I was thinking of, I was wrong in that he didnt score the try. His lead up work was the main thing I remembered. I know long term he will be overtaken by the young guys & their athletisism, I just cant help feel that he is under appreciated as a footballer.

murraymob

Coach
anyone think Nathen Smith will see first grade this year .He is behind several first graders and at best level with some of the young kids coming through.Not sure even with injuries he will see first grade

Kilkenny

Coach
anyone think Nathen Smith will see first grade this year .He is behind several first graders and at best level with some of the young kids coming through.Not sure even with injuries he will see first grade

Unlikely. Nathan has been a terrific clubman in my opinion, but will only figure in reserve grade at this stage of his career.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah he is no chance IMO. Deadset average player when he rocked up to our club, but like Simmo he managed to turn into a decent player after being given more chances then deserved.

Kilkenny

Coach
The most obvious positions up for grabs are the 1, 2 & 5 along with two positions on the bench. If everyone fit and well the centres, halves and forward pack pretty much picks itself.

betcats

Referee
It will be interesting to see what happens with Seggy and Kingston. There was a little piece in the Tele about it and judging by Ivans quote it is still un in the air, also it kind of sounded like he would prefer not to have a hooker on the bench.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
Does anyone know which players we still have at the club that played nyc last year and are too old this season.
I know moss Jennings Campbell-Gillard and I think foster is still with the club.
Im really looking forward to seeing these boys rip in and push for first grade later in the season. I think moss is a big chance if Moylan doesn't improve.
Is there any more than these 4 not including Roberts as he already played first grade

franklin2323

Immortal
Does anyone know which players we still have at the club that played nyc last year and are too old this season.
I know moss Jennings Campbell-Gillard and I think foster is still with the club.
Im really looking forward to seeing these boys rip in and push for first grade later in the season. I think moss is a big chance if Moylan doesn't improve.
Is there any more than these 4 not including Roberts as he already played first grade

Moss
Jennings
Roberts
Foster
RCG
Ross

Blake, DWZ etc still eligible for NYC

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Moss and probably Moylan are behind Kevin Naiqama. IMO he's our first choice fullback for 2014.

chrisD

Coach
Or an extra Prop. Lets say Peachey is pencilled in for a bench spot. Hooker on the bench. if we want to play another backrower we play with a light bench
Peachey is a 2nd rower as of now. 2 props, a hooker 'utility' and a second rower is how every team without Farah and Smith play. Taylor will probably play about 70 minutes and Plum/McKendry can cover that 10 minutes.

franklin2323

Immortal
Peachey is a 2nd rower as of now. 2 props, a hooker 'utility' and a second rower is how every team without Farah and Smith play. Taylor will probably play about 70 minutes and Plum/McKendry can cover that 10 minutes.

Peachey's speed, Footwork and versatility means I think he will be off the bench. Peachey can cover that utility role.

Say we have this bench:

Peachey
Plum
McKendry
Robinson

Peachey can fill in backs, Hooker and 5/8th. Robinson centre. Brown centre. Taylor Centre and Hooker.

We signed all these Utilites for a reason

When Manu comes back though. Say Docker or Robinson are in for him and go well.

We either drop them or we drop the hooker. I took it as those Cleary was saying in those situations it may be one hooker only.