What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 team

Radical Rat

Juniors
I dont have a problem with SIrro in the 2nd row,these days the second rowers are positioned out wide on both the left and right edges.Sirro and Patto could provide some much needed size.Lock forwards are being used in tight almost like a third prop.Using BMM or Sue again provides size that can assist the props with our go forward.Starting props for me would be Woods and Blair,at no time would i move Blair to the back row as he will only go missing...again.Keith,Ava,Tupau,can also help cover the middle.Fulton and Halutau could be very handy from the bench whilst Braith should just retire IMO.

This is exactly how I think the forward pack should operate.

The only difference I would make is I would have Galloway and Blair starting. I'd bring Woods off the bench about the 20-25 minute mark and in most scenarios play him the rest of the game (ala James Graham). He would be devastating against a tiring oppostion forward pack. He'd be offloading all over the place, it would be nice to finally have some second phase play. Not to mention Tedesco supporting him up the middle for the little pop offload.

That just leaves Galloway to do what he does best and just leg drive up the field in the opening stanza.

Blair just needs to concentrate on his workrate and keep his quick play the balls happening.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I said earlier this year I really think Galloway needs to come off the bench. I don't mean his form doesn't deserve he start I just think he is so prone to injury we need to use him differently.

The game is now a 17 man team effort and players shouldn't see the bench as a punishment or they are not good enough to start. Each player has a specific role to play and at specific times during a game.

I think Galloway should be used in the second half of each half when the other teams first choice forwards are starting to knock up. He can make good yards and is effective but he could be much more so against second string opposition. The less 'hard' work he does could be beneficial to him so far as injuries and the team must be better if he plays more games.

James Graham at the Dogs could be a starting prop in any other team but Hassler uses him this way and he is most effective. I would tend to start with Blair or perhaps Taupau to blunt other players and then bring big red on.

Just my thoughts.....:D

gronkathon

First Grade
Halatau & Sironen should be hard pressed to make the side IF Patterson shows any decent form. Fulton would be our bench player. The emergence of Sue and BMM in lock rotation appeals to me

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why people don't like Siro in the back row. He was actually scoring tries and bending the line. Yes his defense isn't quite there yet but it will be with time. I would keep him in back row, maybe on the bench as he can also fill in as a half if there are any injuries

People like him there.

It's just that we need a capable enough five-eighth for just the 2014 season, as Moses will most likely be in that role for 2015. By playing Sironen at Five-Eighth for just this year, he can work on his defence technique and have it right for a smooth transition into the back row for 2015.

We also noticed this year that his body was struggling at the back end of the season, so a season at five eighth will improve his endurance and harden his body more, again further preparing him for a shift to the back row.

Sironen, Moses and Brooks all need to be developed slowly, carefully and correctly as they are going to be very valuable players for us in the next phase of the clubs history, ie - the next decade.

Radical Rat

Juniors
People like him there.

It's just that we need a capable enough five-eighth for just the 2014 season, as Moses will most likely be in that role for 2015. By playing Sironen at Five-Eighth for just this year, he can work on his defence technique and have it right for a smooth transition into the back row for 2015.

We also noticed this year that his body was struggling at the back end of the season, so a season at five eighth will improve his endurance and harden his body more, again further preparing him for a shift to the back row.

Sironen, Moses and Brooks all need to be developed slowly, carefully and correctly as they are going to be very valuable players for us in the next phase of the clubs history, ie - the next decade.

I know Siro has had a few injuries. Apologies if this has been covered but is he doing a full off-season? If he is getting a decent off season in he could be ready to start the year an absolute monster. If that's the case I'm keen for him to start in the back row. I'd like to give Austin first crack at 5/8.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought he had a niggling leg or groin injury he was getting sorted out

super_coach

First Grade
Halatau & Sironen should be hard pressed to make the side IF Patterson shows any decent form. Fulton would be our bench player. The emergence of Sue and BMM in lock rotation appeals to me

If fit Siro will be in the 17, he is seen as our future and with Manly rumored to be after him and his brother and we know Bozo Fulton has a close association with the Siro family. So Iam sure the club will do everything not to get him offside

I was switching channels maybe 15 minutes ago and heard Blocker say to Alan Jones that the Tigers have some really good kids coming through - he mentioned Siro will be left second rower this year.

So, I guess no more discussion or thoughts (from me) about playing at 6. He will be in the 2nd row.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Halatau's hands are worse than ... anybody's.

I will never forget his game at Campbelltown against the Cowboys in Round 25, 2004.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Re: everyone discussing Siro at 5/8.

I agree that it is a very hard decision. He is a quality 5/8 but he still needs the experience in the back row and he may as well get it now. Also, Austin and Anasta have a better kicking game and can both kick goals if Richards get injured (God forbid).
I think when Potter shifted him to back row last year he made it very clear that he wants Siro in the back row.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We know Siro will be in the back row.

It just makes sense to have him at 6 purely to improve his defence & help him form a good combination running off Brooks, which will be pivotal to his development as a backrower.

patzz_

Juniors
Not much mention of Martin Tapau? I think he is a good solid player. Will fit in well in the prop rotation IMO. Thoughts?

macnaz

Staff member
Not much mention of Martin Tapau? I think he is a good solid player. Will fit in well in the prop rotation IMO. Thoughts?

Yeah I forgot about him. .. we will need him to fill in for Galloways mandatory 12+ weeks out.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yeah I forgot about him. .. we will need him to fill in for Galloways mandatory 12+ weeks out.

Tupau will go very well for us. He runs hard and hits hard with a bit of mongrel in him. I could see him coming off the bench and slamming through the middle.

We need more players like him

For those who missed it:

THE Wests Tigers have revealed they are set to unleash an ambush of youngsters into the NRL come next season.

Following a disappointing year for new coach Mick Potter, riddled with drama of player unrest, question marks over his future and injury - the Tigers finally have a reason to smile.

With depth a major concern in 2013, the Tigers recruited some much needed size to their pack in Dene Halatau and Martin Taupau, while a host of up and coming stars are on the cusp of making the step up from the Holden Cup.

Exciting halfback Luke Brooks made his first grade debut last season and is just one of many in a rich nursery set to be let out of the den according to former Holden Cup coach turned assistant Todd Payten.

"Everyone has spoken about Brooks and (Mitchell) Moses - Brooksy has had his debut and is expected to be there at the start of the year," Payten said.

"Moses is a very talented five eighth, can possibly play fullback but he is a bit sly at the moment coming off of a broken leg so we're going to be pretty cautious with him to begin with.

"We have a very talented hooker (Manaia) Cherrington - obviously behind Robbie Farah and has another year in 20s - he's very talented and has to put some meat on his bones.

"Outside of that there are plenty more who will give it a shake at some point throughout the year".

Cherrington was a member of the Balmain Tigers SG Ball premiership-winning squad in 2012 as was Moses who was named the SG Ball Player of the Year that season.

Along with the hooker and half, Keebra Park product Delouise Hoeter (utility) and Kurtis Rowe (fullback) are also pushing their claims.

In his new role, Payten takes control of the club's engine room and, aside from the outside backs, Payten has earmarked a number of forwards to also make the step up next year.

Backrower Kyle Lovett captained the 20s team in 2013 and is described by Payten as a "first grader with a future", while lock Andy Fiagatusa "will make the grade in the future".

Payten believes a shot at first grade is sure to present itself to a host of players before the season is over.

"(You'll see some debutants) from the Origin period onwards with injury and form and other factors weighing into it. They're certainly capable," he said.

"They have some pretty good people in front of them but given the opportunity they will hold their own."

While much is made of Canberra's juniors, having developed some big name players including Aaron Woods, Curtis Sironen, James Tedesco and Tim Simona, the Tigers nursery is booming.

"Were absolutely a development club," Payten said.

"Many years ago Tim Sheens put in a development program which flows back through SG Ball and even 13- and 14-year-olds and gives them a pathway to reach the NRL level … it's something we have definitely planned for and sunk a lot of resources into."

- See more at: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...y-fn2mcuj6-1226774320816#sthash.P7kwEbJE.dpuf

Latest posts