What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 team

Tigers Tale

Juniors
So how do people see the team shaping for next year? I was having a quick look at the 2014 players and for the first time in a long time there is some genuine competition for every position across the field.

The big question I have is do we go for all out size in the pack or do we show loyalty to smaller guys like Fulton and to a lesser extent Halatau? I think we can put a fairly big pack on the field in 2014 so does Fulton, as good as he is, hold his spot? My initial views are we go for size.

With the depth we have some players are going to miss out. I can see we will have some real speed in the back in 2014 so again, places will be hard to get. Simona is out for a while so who will play in the centres?

I think 5/8 is the biggest question mark. Our spine will no doubt include Farah, Brooks and Tedesco. So who do you see at 5/8 and why? My initial thoughts are Austin, he can kick goals, has size and he seems to have a good footy brain. I think he can develop with this team in 2014.

As I say, there are some good players who are going to be on the fringe and that always frightens me as they can get picked off by other teams when they get frustrated not being in the top team.

Any thoughts? Might be a good topic of conversation/argument leading up to Christmas.....:roll:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm in two minds as I have the team I hope we can field vs. what we will end up fielding due to injury. My list (with explanation at the bottom):

1. Tedesco
2. Nufo
3. Leilu
4. Lawrence
5. Richards
6. Austin
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Blair
11. Fulton
12. Patterson
13. Sue

14. Tupau
15. Ava/Buchanen (depending on form)
16. Halutau
17. BMM

Players I predict to be injured for rd 1:
- Simona
- Galloway
- Moltzen
- Sironen
I hope to God I am wrong but I want to be realistic. All the above players are currently injured so if we just assume that they will still be recovering or need more time to be 100% then we can work from here. Plus, our side will be boosted as they return.

I know people have concerns with Halutau and Fulton in the starting 17 at the same time due to their size but both players are very good, experienced defenders. Halutau's dummy half running game will also provide those extra meters when combined with Farah.

As for Anasta, he definitely adds a lot of value but I really like the prospect of Austin getting the starting spot. He's young, hungry and has huge potential to develop his game.

Also, with Nufo on the wing. I really don't know why people want Nufo in the centres...he is such an excellent winger (amazing under the highball and one of the best acrobatic finishers I've seen in a long time) and he prefers the right side wing whereas all our wingers play left side.

Thoughts?

Tiger05

First Grade
I think Simona has to be the first centre chosen based on his form last year. I figure he might be out injured but I've tried to pick our best team assuming no injuries.

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Lawrence
4. Simona
5. Richards
6. Sironen
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Fulton
12. Patterson
13. Sue

14. Blair
15. Ava
16. BMM
17. Halutau

I have gone with Sirro at 6. He could be a great player and I figure he can play a role like Sutton but he may be a better player.

I think we need to play basically 3 props at all times. Sue and BMM to me fill that 3rd prop like player great. Fulton & Patterson can get subbed with Halatau who should fill that impact bench player well.

I find it really hard to pick between Koro and Richards on the wing.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Moltzen, Koro, Blair, Anasta and the new recruits next year.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
While i think Tiger05's squad is close to the smartest side we should pick, i dare say Sironen will be in the back row, if past comments by Potter are anything to go by.

Ideally, Moltzen at 6 next to Brooks would be our best option, but i dare say we'll see Anasta there because he's old, sorry, 'experienced'

Seems to be the only way he gets picked.

I saw no point in signing Halatau or Richards, we already have enough backs & we have Fulton to fill the mobile back rower utility gig (and Anasta to a dramatically lesser extent)

macnaz

Staff member
Im Happy to go with either Sirro, Austin or even Moltzen at 6 but dont believe Anasta should be there. He had plenty of opportunities this year and he was very poor. Regardless who we pick I just hope they can settle into the position very quickly to avoid another season of musical halves for 90% of year.
Why is Galloway injured ?? Silly question I guess as he always is but I recal why he wont be available to start.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I saw no point in signing Halatau or Richards, we already have enough backs & we have Fulton to fill the mobile back rower utility gig (and Anasta to a dramatically lesser extent)

Really? Richards may be our best buy. While he doesn't have the attacking flair of Korobete his defense is excellent and is very good under the highball. His goalkicking is phenomenal and will mean the difference between winning and losing.

Halatau's utility value will be more than helpful but I can understand why people would rather we have bought a big mean back rower. I've always been a fan of this bloke so perhaps my judgement is bias. He will really come in handy around origin, largely due to Luani not being an 80 minute hooker.

But:
Anasta says he has hit the ground running in pre-season training with a Wests Tigers

`I went to play for Greece against Hungary and I have come back from that probably in one of the best shapes I have been in pre-season because of that experience playing over the break,'' Anasta said at Tigers' training on Thursday.

Anasta said he is hoping to partner promising young halfback Luke Brooks in the halves

But the best news is:
He said he will likely make a retirement call several months into the season
- See more at: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...y-fn2mcuj6-1226770459765#sthash.STfJBvVu.dpuf

Players I predict to be injured for rd 1:
Didn't BMM break his leg in the RLWC ?

Hasn't Brooks got some stress fractures from his junior days playing cricket or some lame excuse = most likely they went too far in his weights program?

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Last I heard the BMM injury wasn't a break or if it was it was very minor. I think he should be OK for the start of season.

Brooks, well I hope this isn't a long term problem...I worry when a kid is laid up with a back injury. Our whole team build up is based on this kid coming good, he is the one driving this team. If he is out for too long we are farked.

I think Simona and his shoulder injury will also take some time to heal. I hope he is back not too far into the season. His confidence will be down but if he can find the form he had this year I'll be happy.

Geez when you think about it we have to have a better run in 2014 with injuries than what we had this year....it just killed our season, our luck has to change!!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
From the Pre-Season update from Potter on the Wests Tigers website it looks like the only real concerns (in terms of unknown if they will be ready for Rd 1) is Galloway and Simona.

Everyone else is expected to resume full training soon....good news!

I really want to see what kind of size Siro puts on in the off season

I agree with Tiger05 regarding Siro - I wonder if it's the 'club' saying you are a back rower.

I wonder if he has a preference? Because he can certainly be a fantastic 6 along side Brooks behind a good pack of forwards.

Just a quick look at height and size from 3 other players who I thought were tall:

Siro: 195cm 102kg

There's certainly not much difference between Siro and Sutton in size.

Sutton: 190cm 105kg

Haynes (well he has played there) 189cm 100 kg

Campese 184cm 102kg

And the difference between Siro and Austin besides the fact that Siro is a 1st grader, is: Austin 187cm 98kg

Moltzen 185cm 91kg

Anasta 185cm 98kg

I'd start with Siro:thumn

super_coach

First Grade
I agree with Tiger05 regarding Siro - I wonder if it's the 'club' saying you are a back rower.

I wonder if he has a preference? Because he can certainly be a fantastic 6 along side Brooks behind a good pack of forwards.

Just a quick look at height and size from 3 other players who I thought were tall:

Siro: 195cm 102kg

There's certainly not much difference between Siro and Sutton in size.

Sutton: 190cm 105kg

Haynes (well he has played there) 189cm 100 kg

Campese 184cm 102kg

And the difference between Siro and Austin besides the fact that Siro is a 1st grader, is: Austin 187cm 98kg

Moltzen 185cm 91kg

Anasta 185cm 98kg

I'd start with Siro:thumn

Siro had some real defensive deficiencies when playing in the backrow late in season 2013.It will improve with experience but we cant afford to have a player in the forwards that is suspect in defense. He was carrying groin and shoulder problems so that might have been the reason

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am probably contradicting myself here when I refer to size in my earlier post.

I know we compare Siro to Sutton but that isn't such a good comparison because of all the top 8 teams this year I would suggest Sutton has the worst footballing brain. His size is an advantage but that is all. I actually think Siro is too big and too slow to be 5/8. I mentioned Austin earlier, if he is 185 and 98kg, that is still six foot and just on 16 stone in the old language, that is big enough if he has the brains to go with it.....maybe.

I think Siro is in no mans land at the moment, too big for 5/8 and too small for the back row. It really is up to him where his future lies but I don't think Potter sees him as a 5/8 either. Hit the weights and practice tackling (defensive positional play) is my suggestion.

Tiger05

First Grade

I think Halatau can give Farah a break even if Farah stays on the field. Having Halatau jump into dummy half may be of some benefit. In saying that that we don't need more small backrowers. One in Fulton is to me more than enough.

I see no point in Richards signing. He might go well but I think Koro could go great as well.

I dont have a problem with SIrro in the 2nd row,these days the second rowers are positioned out wide on both the left and right edges.Sirro and Patto could provide some much needed size.Lock forwards are being used in tight almost like a third prop.Using BMM or Sue again provides size that can assist the props with our go forward.Starting props for me would be Woods and Blair,at no time would i move Blair to the back row as he will only go missing...again.Keith,Ava,Tupau,can also help cover the middle.Fulton and Halutau could be very handy from the bench whilst Braith should just retire IMO.

One thing that no one has mentioned is goal kicking besides Richards.

I hope that instead of doing extra weight sessions, the backs and I mean all of them, do heaps of sprint work, heaps of goal kicking practice, heaps of 40/20 practice, heaps of grubber and banana kick practice and heaps of catching bombs (especially Moltzen) practice.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't know why people don't like Siro in the back row. He was actually scoring tries and bending the line. Yes his defense isn't quite there yet but it will be with time. I would keep him in back row, maybe on the bench as he can also fill in as a half if there are any injuries

macnaz

Staff member
From the Pre-Season update from Potter on the Wests Tigers website it looks like the only real concerns (in terms of unknown if they will be ready for Rd 1) is Galloway and Simona.

Everyone else is expected to resume full training soon....good news!

I really want to see what kind of size Siro puts on in the off season

So whats the injury with Galloway this time ?