What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

insert.pause

First Grade
Like I said, the majority of day games draw just as shitty crowds in Sydney as night games so don't go whinging when we have five nights a week from next TV deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seemed like 3/4 of the crowd was from rovers and they made great noise. Glad they got to wembley should be a cracking game and atmosphere.

I went in 2012 for leeds v wire. A great day, only had a couple in the ground but cannot remember what brand never mind if it was full strength. I don't think there is a bad seat in the ground and it holds atmosphere superbly, oh and the roof is built to cover the seating. Aussie architects take note

How many do you think rovers will take to wembley?

Yeh can't wait to visit the new Wembley. I'll miss seeing the twin towers of old but heard the new stadium is awesome. Probably around 30k. If only Hull FC could have actually got something right so we could have had a all Hull final again!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I was at the game today and was disappointed with the small crowd that showed up on such a beautiful day. But as I said earlier in this thread the western rail line was closed this weekend for track work and no doubt influenced a lot of people not to come. Souths have plenty of fans living in the western suburbs of Sydney.

The game itself could be the problem.

Personally i think the product has some small issues but nothing that should drive people away imo. But, the print and tv news media are driving this constant negativity around the sport so it would not surprise me if people who consume that form of media, pay attention to it and don't attend or watch regardless of how good any game is

Like I said, the majority of day games draw just as shitty crowds in Sydney as night games so don't go whinging when we have five nights a week from next TV deal.

I fear thats what will happen tbh. The ultimate slap in the face to the folks that do go week in week out would be 1 x thursday, 2 x friday and monday night.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yeh can't wait to visit the new Wembley. I'll miss seeing the twin towers of old but heard the new stadium is awesome. Probably around 30k. If only Hull FC could have actually got something right so we could have had a all Hull final again!

Maybe the largest final crowd for some time then if thats the case as the rhinos fans always travel in huge numbers plus the usual busloads of neutrals. 85k maybe?

Personally i think the product has some small issues but nothing that should drive people away imo. But, the print and tv news media are driving this constant negativity around the sport so it would not surprise me if people who consume that form of media, pay attention to it and don't attend or watch regardless of how good any game is

Therein lays the problem.

I can't give tickets away at the moment - well, I did to a Newcastle supporter last week, who was really grateful, even after the drubbing - and trying to get people to games is really really hard.

Even if they don't read it in the DT, the radio and TV is so so bloody negative.

Despite some excellent entertainment on offer. Watching a lot of other games as a neutral, I love it. And price is BS. You can get discounted, cheap tickets all weekend. Ahh... I dunno.

And it is sad going to Souths games and not seeing bigger crowds.

Canard

Immortal
Can we put to bed this absurd Gouldism of conferences which would see Sydney teams play each other several times a year?

There clearly isn't enough demand for this based on the match ups that happen now, and over saturating match ups isn't going to solve Sydney crowds.

Valheru

Coach
On the flipside, the Roosters are in a rich vein of form and should be dragging in 20k+ every week. Especially against local opposition.

The bolded part is only legitimate if said local opposition fans actually turn up. I’m not one to bag dogs crowds, they have done a wonderful job in the last 10 years building a crowd culture and they are always one of the better attending away supporters at the SFS.

This time though, they didn’t turn up to anywhere near their usual number.

morley101

Juniors
I know lots of parents will still not take their kids to Bulldogs games.
Reputation takes a long time to go away.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Reputation take a long time to go away.

Its a shame that they are so bad in Sydney.

In Brisbane, I've noticed lots of the Bulldogs fans are chubby kiwis/islanders that love a good time and nicer banter.

DC_fan

Coach
I would love to see a breakdown on Souths Memberships as per package.

I would like to see a breakdown of all the teams membership packages. While memberships numbers for some clubs, especially my team Souths looks good, how many of them are season ticket holders.

mave

Coach
Reputation takes a long time to go away.

This.

I go to the Brookie home games against them, but you won't catch me near ANZ at a Doggies game again with my family.
It's just not worth the risk with the kids.

DC_fan

Coach
Therein lays the problem.

I can't give tickets away at the moment - well, I did to a Newcastle supporter last week, who was really grateful, even after the drubbing - and trying to get people to games is really really hard.

Even if they don't read it in the DT, the radio and TV is so so bloody negative.

Despite some excellent entertainment on offer. Watching a lot of other games as a neutral, I love it. And price is BS. You can get discounted, cheap tickets all weekend. Ahh... I dunno.

And it is sad going to Souths games and not seeing bigger crowds.

Yes the negativity does not help but I believe the problem of poor crowds is caused by more then that.

Here is a good article by Phil Rothefield

ALMOST 150,000 NRL fans have gone missing since the end of last season.

Crowds are down by more than six per cent with the lowest average attendances since 2004.

This is despite the fact we are enjoying the closest scoreboard margins for years and a thrilling battle between 13 of the 16 clubs that could still make the semi-finals.

No one knows why. Food costs, ticket prices, expensive beer, Origin killing the premiership for eight weeks, traffic jams, parking hassles, the ban on shoulder charges, the no-punch edict, footy too predictable, scheduling, frustration over referees, not enough afternoon time slots, etc, etc. It?s probably a combination of all those reasons.

Personally I think it?s more to do with the saturation television coverage on Channel 9 and Fox Sports.

Think about Friday afternoon 5pm. You?re about to knock off for the weekend. You?re a casual NRL fan, not a member.

It?s decision time. Do you grab the family and head out to Allianz to watch the Roosters v the Bulldogs in what should be ? and what was ? an absolute crackerjack game of footy.

You start to think ? $25 to park, $20 in petrol, $100 for tickets to get the family in, $70 for dinner and that?s without even having a beer. Grand total around $250.

It?s also a cold night. You won?t get home until around 11pm. Tomorrow is a busy day with an early start, kids sport and the usual chores.

Bugger it. You look at the far cheaper and more comfortable option. You buy a six-pack and order four pizzas. All up about $60.

You?re in the warmth of your own home. Channel 9 or the Fox Sports coverage gives you better information than you get at the ground anyway (although I love the big screens at Allianz).

The networks have 30-odd cameras covering every angle, every moment, every incident, on the field and in the dressing sheds. (And yes, you can even mute Gus).

You set the second TV on GEM and watch the Ashes. I did on Friday night. There are no queues to get to the bathroom or the fridge. No traffic jams.

The problem is you can?t ask the networks to pay between $1.5 and $2 billion for the rights if they don?t get a significant input into the scheduling.

908347-08cba40a-38e5-11e5-bb93-5d026adb0dd0.jpg

How NRL crowds have slipped since last season. Source: News Corp Australia

Still, what rugby league needs is more special events to get us off the couch and back to the venues.

Like the Roosters-Dragons Anzac Day game at Allianz Stadium. It?s my favourite event of the season. More special than Origin and the finals.

The one day of the year if you have a choice of going to the footy or watching from home, you go. Because it?s an event.

Like the Back to Belmore matches that sold out. Or Good Friday and Easter Monday blockbusters at ANZ Stadium.

Why can?t we take one game every year back to Lidcombe Oval? Just one game.

Make it the Wests Tigers against old rivals Manly. It would sell out because it would be special. Take Monday night games to big regional centres. It would go off.

Use the Sydney Cricket Ground for afternoon games, not Friday or Saturday night. Make ticket prices $5 like the old days to fill the ground.

What concerns me is the NRL don?t know how to deal with this crowd crisis. Losing 150,000 fans (at an average ticket price of $30) is $4.5 million.

Commission chairman John Grant is pushing to spend $1 billion of taxpayers? money on a new 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park, where the current venue gets the lowest crowds of any stadium in the country.
What does he want ? 52,000 empty seats on a Friday night instead of 30,000? It?s stupid. Share the money around and improve all our venues, Allianz included.

The Swans played at the SCG on Saturday afternoon and got almost 40,000. It was special because of the Adam Goodes story.

That one AFL game got almost double what the two Sydney NRL Friday night games attracted.

Why did we even think of using Leichhardt Oval on a Friday night when the attendance would have doubled if it was played on Sunday afternoon. The NRL administration needs to think smarter.

Your columnist offered NRL CEO Dave Smiththe opportunity to discuss and comment on the crowd crisis. He declined.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...back-to-the-game/story-fnj45km6-1227467172427

What were the eyeballs watching / ratings of NRL compared to AFL on Friday night, the whole weekend?

And it's not like AFL isn't getting some shitter crowds then they are used to.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Tbh that is the most sensible rothfield article i have ever read. It is unfortunate that we are caught in a situation where reducing the nigjt games will likely reduce the games overall income but i feel it has to happen. Cost as he said is another major factor and i know it is for me currently.

I think smith should be answering questions on this subject as i beleive crowds are the true reflection of a sports health as it shows the numbers who are willing to sacrifice time and money for their club and ultimately the code.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If they stop playing at terrible venues they might get an increase in crowds. There needs to be more games at the SFS for instance. West Tigers should not be near ANZ. The fans at that club have been screwed like nothing before, why would they go to a game when they are being forced out of their real home.

That isn't even considering the lack of effort the NRL makes on match day experience. There is absolutely nothing that they do. If you do nothing fans won't turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts