What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Membership Discussion

Souths have deals with sponsors that mean if you buy a sponsors product you get free memberships etc. The juniors thing is true and they also have something with big league if you subscribe to it and tick you are a souths supporter you get a free membership.

Grant Mayer (tigers CEO) told this straight to me. Their numbers are incredibly inflated. As bad a 9k members are for the tigers he said everyone is paid for and generates revenue.

Everyone inflates numbers. The Broncos are hosting a dinner in Mackay (?) soon. Every ticket sold to that includes a non-ticketed membership.

yobbo84

Coach
If the vast majority of our memberships are freebies then how in the hell did we raise $3.9 million from membership last year? Or do Souths publicly lie about their membership totals and revenues on their Financial Reports too then?

FML there are some dribblers on here.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
If the vast majority of our memberships are freebies then how in the hell did we raise $3.9 million from membership last year?

Muggings?

ZhTwj09.jpg

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors
If the vast majority of our memberships are freebies then how in the hell did we raise $3.9 million from membership last year? Or do Souths publicly lie about their membership totals and revenues on their Financial Reports too then?

FML there are some dribblers on here.

Yeah it's an interesting question...was some of it from the Souths Cares charity?

Serious question.

Galeforce

Bench
Just reporting what was told to me by the tigers CEO at the anz members dinner 2 weeks ago

lol , the Tigers CEO , hmm.

did he make this statement after he apologised for Tigers funding mess that requires extra financial support from NRL? lol

If that is the best discussion point you can get from Tigers CEO re NRL , lol

Vic Mackey

Referee

did he make this statement after he apologised for Tigers funding mess that requires extra financial support from NRL? lol

No, he made the statement after I told him of my experience dealing with the membership department and why I believe we have the fewest (or second fewest) members in the NRL. I actually praised souths and the dogs and their match day experience how they would make you want to become a member.

He agreed with me and said we have a long way to go but some clubs (and he mentioned souths and the dragons by name) perhaps twist the numbers to look better then they are.

He said it, if you would like to take the issue with him PM me and I'll send his email address.

Danish

Referee
Simple question , however you have been around this forum ong enough to know the answer to that . I am assuming you bother to read , because the same simple question has been asked by many , a lot of those asking , are the simple haters , who just want to keep finding argument points , so that they do not have to concede that Souths are doing a better job than their own clubs.

Anyhow , a simple response that assumes you are a simple knowledge seeker and not a hating , scumbag troll , drunk , toothless , shit for brain dope.

1) Souths have many members all over Sydney , who might not make it to ANZ Stadium but will watch on TV , or attend an away game when close
2) Souths have many members outside of Sydney , who do not make it to games in Sydney but might make games played in perth or Cairns or other team home games ( e.g. Titans) or watch on TV
3) souths have members overseas
4) Souths have members , who are also ANZ Stadium members , therefore they only get non ticketed memberships
5) Non ticketed membership is good for the game and supports Sponsorship interest. TV viewers is also the main source of income for NRL not attendance.
6) Souths membership drive has resulted in huge increase in merchandise sales and both of these contribute to Souths financial performance.
7) Souths have a high % of free to air night games ( thursday/friday/monday) i.e. they have TV appeal and this does have an effect on crowd........lots of family stay away from ANZ on night games which require travel across sydney peak hour.
However most of these points and more have been stated many times and only repeat dopes ignore them.

Why do you think that any of those points apply only to Souths? What stops a club like the Bulldogs or Broncos from being affected by such things?

yobbo84

Coach
Why do you think that any of those points apply only to Souths? What stops a club like the Bulldogs or Broncos from being affected by such things?

Souths have managed to get thousands of the average, non-attending, tv watching type supporters to sign on as a member for $100 for the return of a keyring and some bumper stickers. It's a phenomenal effort by the club and supporters.

juro

Bench

He also made similar comments to all members present at a Wests Tigers members event prior to the start of the season. Doubt he would do so unless there was some fact behind his comments.

Galeforce

Bench
He also made similar comments to all members present at a Wests Tigers members event prior to the start of the season. Doubt he would do so unless there was some fact behind his comments.

If he believes they are true then

a) why does he not take the issue to NRL , they also print the Souths and all other club numbers

b) if NRL believes him , and yet believes having high reported member numbers is good for the game , then why doesn't he get off and do something with his club?

either way , he appears the problem , if he believes what he is stating. Inaction on both counts.

Danish

Referee
Does souths have an annual report that membership revenue can be checked against? That would be the easiest way to confirm if they are padding the numbers.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If he believes they are true then

a) why does he not take the issue to NRL , they also print the Souths and all other club numbers

b) if NRL believes him , and yet believes having high reported member numbers is good for the game , then why doesn't he get off and do something with his club?

either way , he appears the problem , if he believes what he is stating. Inaction on both counts.

He probably doesn't think it is a big issue and if he did being it up with the NRL I would be embarrassed for him as surely the club has enough fcking issues for him to spend his time on other then worrying about other Sydney clubs fudging member numbers.

He merely brought it up when I mentioned souths and the dogs pushing memberships at their home games very well and how I don't think we do it nearly as good. He said that whilst he agreed with me every one of the 8791 or whatever it was, members that the tigers advertise are financial members. Memberships that get given away in the way other clubs do aren't counted onto this total. He said he does it this way as he wants the membership department accountable. It's no good saying how amazing we are with 12k members if a quarter of them aren't contributing anything to the club.

He wasn't criticizing other clubs, just saying to make sure you compare apples with apples. He agreed with me that the membership department aren't doing the job to their best ability however without directly saying it said 'it's hard to get good people with the budget we have.'

I can understand why other clubs do it. Higher member numbers lead to higher sponsorships. More email addresses for them to sell off to spammers etc.

Danish

Referee
You mean the one released in February that was independently audited by KPMG, that states they had 30,563 members in 2014 and membership revenues of $3.9m?

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/content...ents/SSFC_Accounts_2014_Annual_Report_Web.pdf

So about $125 per member, meaning heavily leaning towards non-ticketed memberships. Still not a bad income. I couldn't find that annual report in my searching, all I found was a link stating it has been released but required a members login to access.

Now the next step would be finding out how many of those memberships are subsidised "Souths Cares" memberships given away by the charity wing of souths, and how many come from the subsidised junior memberships, although that info is honestly not going to be available.

It is cute that you needed to toss in that the annual report is "independently" audited as being some sort of stamp of infallibility though. Auditors sign off on whatever they are given in my experience providing their bills are paid on time. I trust the word of Souths far more than I do that of KPMG.

yobbo84

Coach
So about $125 per member, meaning heavily leaning towards non-ticketed memberships. Still not a bad income. I couldn't find that annual report in my searching, all I found was a link stating it has been released but required a members login to access.

Now the next step would be finding out how many of those memberships are subsidised "Souths Cares" memberships given away by the charity wing of souths, and how many come from the subsidised junior memberships, although that info is honestly not going to be available.

It is cute that you needed to toss in that the annual report is "independently" audited as being some sort of stamp of infallibility though. Auditors sign off on whatever they are given in my experience providing their bills are paid on time. I trust the word of Souths far more than I do that of KPMG.

Souths Cares give away memberships that are bought and paid for by other SSFC members - the "Bunny Buddy" program. It was introduced as a way for the more fortunate members to be able to allow those less fortunate to attend football matches. In terms of tallying numbers it's no different to a family member buying their child/neice/nephew/whatever a membership. Plus it's a great cause.

The Junior League Supporter Membership is $55, not $5 as you previously stated.

http://membership.rabbitohs.com.au/packages/junior-league-supporter-membership/

Danish

Referee
We actually don't have to worry about Souths Cares padding the numbers with paid memberships.

According to their 2013 annual report they only gave away $95K to community programs out of close to $900k worth of money collected anyway, so even if every cent were spent on memberships that would account for under 1000 memberships.

They did manage to pay out $300k in wages, $45K in player appearances, and $30K in sponsorship though...