What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Team

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Not giving up on this year and I know it's a long way off, but I am getting pretty excited about how our team could be shaping up next year with some of the prospects we have coming through. Hopefully we get a few decent buys from outside the club, too.

I'd be happy with something like this:

1. Boyd/Mamo - Boyd may go if Wayne does. He'd be a big loss but Mamo is an exciting talent
2. Uate
3. Gagai
4. Leilua
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Roberts
8. Snowden
9. Clydsdale
10. Grant?/quality bought prop
11. Scott
12. Tapine
13. T Sims

14. Gidley - will be in the 17 no doubt.
15. K Sims
16. Tetevano
17. Rochow

Uate, McManus and Gagai will need to improve a lot by then if they want to hold their spots. I can see Mamo (if Boyd stays) and/or Sione forcing their way in otherwise.

I am hoping Rochow is just in a form slump and can turn it around soon. He looks one dimensional when he's not going well, but I see some class about him that he can be a good fit for the 17 at least. He is pretty quick and can hit a hole when he's on.

We probably need to buy two props next year with Mason likely retiring (said that this year on NRL 360 I think it was). Hopefully Tetevano can up his impact for next year, otherwise we definitely need 2 more props.

I am a huge fan of Tapine. He is a tackle- breaking machine in the Holden Cup and looked the goods in the Goannas trial against seniors. Also performed well in his few games of NSW Cup last year. I think he should be blooded into FG this year and possibly get the starting gig next year. A starting backrow of Scott, Tapine and T Sims has a lot of attacking potential, IMO.

Fitzgibbon, Petterson-Robati and Pondekas - all damaging and athletic backrowers who look like really good prospects in Holden Cup. One of them could be blooded in next year, but maybe a few years away from being regulars.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Tapine is a beast, really is the prototypical athletic modern day backrower, in fact our entire Holden cup forward pack are potential 1st graders

Won't even speculate on our squad for next season. I feel people may be surprised what we end up with. As for Bennett and Boyd leaving it has to be argued that neither has even suggested they want out yet. I have been informed by a family member of his that Kurt is very keen on a ESL finish to his career and A few clubs there may move on him this year given he only has 2 years in him tops in my view.

Spot On

Coach
Tapine is a beast, really is the prototypical athletic modern day backrower, in fact our entire Holden cup forward pack are potential 1st graders

Can I say it's about time we have some good young blokes coming through the system. In years gone by I've heard a few names that have never made it through - the big fella now at the Drag's Josh Ailaomai, Ethan Cook used to get huge wraps in this forum, the Mata'utai boys, Dane Cordner, Chris Marlborough etc.

aqua_duck

Coach
To be fair Roopy use to overrate a lot of our juniors, I personally never rated Marlborough, Dane Cordner, or Chanel Mata'utia. Pete Mata'utia was a bloke who I think suffered from not having a set position and unfortunately never had that growth spurt, Ethan Cook I personally am still wondering why he never made it. Josh Ailaomai is someone who obviously has a lot of ability but I think lacks discipline and maturity.
Also got to remember we've never had a good NYC team, so I guess it was a case of picking the best of a bad crop, this years team is unbeaten, and are honestly annihilating teams. Also we've seen blokes like Tapine, Mamo and Mata'utia train with the full time squad and play trials.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I'm also not a fan of Pat Mata'utia. I think he's built more like a backrower and isn't really mobile or quick enough to play centre.

Really hope Sione kicks on. Looks promising so far.

K-Man

Bench
Can I say it's about time we have some good young blokes coming through the system. In years gone by I've heard a few names that have never made it through - the big fella now at the Drag's Josh Ailaomai, Ethan Cook used to get huge wraps in this forum, the Mata'utai boys, Dane Cordner, Chris Marlborough etc.

I'm surprised Cook hasn't kicked on to play first grade. He may not be big but he seemed to have everything else going for him. There are halves with less ball-playing creativity and forwards with less mobility playing ahead of him at just about every club in the NRL.

He'd be about Anasta build I would've thought, and with a better pass on him that's for sure.

I suppose defensively is the area I'm not so sure about, maybe that has held him back.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm also not a fan of Pat Mata'utia. I think he's built more like a backrower and isn't really mobile or quick enough to play centre.

Really hope Sione kicks on. Looks promising so far.

Pat is a bloke who's had some bad luck with injuries the past 2 years which really set him back, really hope they try to convert him into a edge forward because that's where his future lies IMO, he's built like a tank and does have some decent skill. Sione is a bloke who's been destined for a long time, has pretty much every single junior rep jersey in his wardrobe, was tearing up Harold Mats as a 14 year old and hasn't looked back since, captained the Australian schoolboys team last year despite being one of the youngest players in the team. This year in NYC he's looked a class above despite playing against guys 2-3 years older

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm surprised Cook hasn't kicked on to play first grade. He may not be big but he seemed to have everything else going for him. There are halves with less ball-playing creativity and forwards with less mobility playing ahead of him at just about every club in the NRL.

He'd be about Anasta build I would've thought, and with a better pass on him that's for sure.

I suppose defensively is the area I'm not so sure about, maybe that has held him back.

I personally saw abit of Glenn Stewart in him. It's funny I remember a few years back Hunter sports high had quite a good arrive alive cup team, Pete Mata'utia, Ethan Cook, Jake Finn, Khalifa Fai Fai Loa, Josh Ailaomoi, Zane Tets, etc. None of those guys have really kicked on, there were 2 blokes in that team who weren't really being talked about as much are the 2 who have really made it, Josh Jackson and Tyrone Roberts.

Yosh

Coach
1. Gagai
2. Mamo
3. Sione Mata'uatai
4. Joey Leluia
5. McManus

6. Mullen
7. Roberts

8. Snowden
9. Karmichael Hunt
12. Scott
13. Tariq Sims

14. Cyldesdale
15. Korbin Sims
16. Cuthbertson

I'm just leaving the rest empty... Don't know who to put there...

With Boyd, Kidley and Aku gone, we could really sign some great great forwards.

I would love to see Yosh play Super Coach. It would be like watching Tinkler throwing money at
Assets that had zero capital growth. Hunt at hooker. Like playing Johnsy on the wing.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
I like that back line that Yosh has named.

That pack though...

Snowden
Clydesdale
K. Sims
Scott
Tapine
T. Sims

Cuthbertson
Rochow
Vaivai
J. Taylor

If we fail to sign anyone other than Tariq, I reckon that pack is probably our best option. Plenty of youth too, so should be able to keep up with the pace of the modern game

Latest posts