What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Team

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jimmy has his work cut out holding his spot and if we are fair dinkum, so does Aku

He is 28yo and coming back from injury with 2 young guns impressing big time. Stone has some tough calls to make

Joker's Wild

Coach
Close to the line is where we need damaging forwards. How many times have you seen our back rowers crash over the line from close range this year? I can count them on one hand.

I dont think its our forwards causing this issue. Line defences are tough these days and the good sides make space for their guys to run into via decoy runners and halves creating doubt. Id wager we are near the bottom of the comp when it comes to applying these sorts of plays close to the line. The few times we have it has yielded results

perverse

Referee
They're only tough calls if you're mates with the players. The decisions seem somewhat obvious, almost forced, to me. Sione has to be there, Chanel only a bit behind him.

Whoever impresses the most in the off season should be getting the spots for mine. Previous history all has to go out the window and Stone needs to make it clear to everyone that they're on a fresh slate. Reputations mean nothing, and every spot is up for grabs. We need the maximum out of every player next year, and it's going to be a year of pretty significant change to the team.

Rod

Bench
Jimmy has been a great clubman but I would probably stick with Aku over him unfortunately, and it would be premature to get rid of both.

The Mata'utias are certainly a priority, don't get me wrong they are full of potential and could be anything but in fairness to Aku the way we've been playing in the last few weeks in terms of tries and quality ball Uate would most likely have fared just as well as the brothers did.

Stone's choices regarding Aku and McManus will be a huge indication of whether he has learnt anything since his last tenure or whether he is the same soft cut and paste coach we saw last time. All indications are Aku is a big chance of going to Canberra. It will all depend on what Sione and Chanel indicate their preference is. They are in a massive demand. Allegedly all but four clubs have enquired about them. We have our work cut out for us. Losing Sione would be too much to cop.

Last edited:
The thing with Fitzgibbon is that he has a lot of room to fill out. He is just over 100kg but is 191cm tall. He should be starting a bulking cycle to try and get up to around the 110kg mark or even more. Not sure what anyone else thinks, but if he could bulk up past 110kg he could fill in one of our prop positions.

Frederick

Staff member
Just because Midley hasn't heard anything doesn't mean the raiders haven't been talking to aku's manager

From the Luker

@shadyscott do you think knights will re-sign @mase21 ? Any news on signing of new front rowers for the knights ?

The Lurker: Mase will 100% NOT be staying at Knights? and also will NOT be going to Dragons. Maybe Panthers? Knights a chance for Russell Packer
http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...-lurker---thursday/1pyu5o24hipqn1i00n2k2k69d0

That will piss off that new Facebook group re-sign willie mason. They even have a radio interview coming up trying to get more people to sign the petition.

Spot On

Coach
Clydesdale can kick very well from dummy half, and he's put a few really nice ones in for us from our own end in FG. Also remember that he's also only just been allowed to play more minutes so Bennett may have also been telling him not to kick much while he's easing in.

And nobody touted him the next Cam Smith from what I've seen. The only comparisons I've seen is people commenting that he's the same type of hooker skill set wise and that's not saying at all that his skills are anywhere as developed as Smith's (and of course they wouldn't be anyway given Smith has 10+ years on him).

FFS, I think you're writing him off far too early. Hooker is a f**king hard position to come into. Probably the most physically demanding and he's holding his own and doesn't look out of place. He's still easing in. Give him a chance to find his feet before you write him off.

You've misinterpreted everything I've written.

Read my post above where I've wrapped him.

Also, and this is Bennett I'm referring to, it's not to big an ask for a hooker who apparently has a natural kicking game to put a couple kicks in from week to week.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
For you noname:

I'm definitely not comparing him with Smith. Just commenting on things I read in here a while back. I like the kid and think he did very well for us this year esp. defensively. Also looked as though he played with a bit of a niggly knee. The kid is tough and had a few good moments in attack. However, it would have been nice to see him get a few kicks away this season. There was plenty of opportunity for him to play that way without the added pressure of an extra duty. It is something that Stone has to incorporate into this team. It's a must.

Nealo 12

First Grade
From the Luker

@shadyscott do you think knights will re-sign @mase21 ? Any news on signing of new front rowers for the knights ?

The Lurker: Mase will 100% NOT be staying at Knights? and also will NOT be going to Dragons. Maybe Panthers? Knights a chance for Russell Packer
http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...-lurker---thursday/1pyu5o24hipqn1i00n2k2k69d0

If we have adopted a no dickhead policy at the Panthers then he is defiantly a no go after hearing the crap that came out of his mouth during the Dragons game .

aqua_duck

Coach
The thing with Fitzgibbon is that he has a lot of room to fill out. He is just over 100kg but is 191cm tall. He should be starting a bulking cycle to try and get up to around the 110kg mark or even more. Not sure what anyone else thinks, but if he could bulk up past 110kg he could fill in one of our prop positions.

I don't see Fitzgibbon as a prop, he's not a hard flat runner like say Rochow or the Sims boys, he's abit in the Aidan Guerra mould, he spins, wriggles and is quite awkward to tackle on the fringes. They tried to play him as a middle forward in NYC but have reverted back to playing him on the fringes where he's most effective.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
You've misinterpreted everything I've written.

Read my post above where I've wrapped him.

Also, and this is Bennett I'm referring to, it's not to big an ask for a hooker who apparently has a natural kicking game to put a couple kicks in from week to week.

For you noname:

I apologise if I missed your following post wrapping him, but my comments were in relation to your original post on the matter...the one I quoted - this one:

I never watched Clydesdale play in the jnrs but I thought he was being touted as a bit of a Cam Smith clone by some. Well, he aint no Smith Clone atm and he doesn't kick from dummy half. Something people were saying he did very well and something this team has needed desperately for years. I sure hope he develops this under Stone ASAP.

I also never said I thought you were comparing him to Smith. Your post suggested to me that you didn't rate Clydesdale and didn't think he could kick and as a result you found it ridiculous people had been touting him as he next Smith. I was just pointing out that from where I stand I've never seen anyone tout him as the next Smith, but rather say his skill set as a hooker is in the same mold when describing him to people that may not have seen him play lower grades.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I apologise if I missed your following post wrapping him, but my comments were in relation to your original post on the matter...the one I quoted - this one:

I also never said I thought you were comparing him to Smith. Your post suggested to me that you didn't rate Clydesdale and didn't think he could kick and as a result you found it ridiculous people had been touting him as he next Smith. I was just pointing out that from where I stand I've never seen anyone tout him as the next Smith, but rather say his skill set as a hooker is in the same mold when describing him to people that may not have seen him play lower grades.

No worries. Let's hope Stone utilises him a little more out of dummy half next season, especially in the kicking department. It's not a big ask for him to kick once ot twice a game if he has this ability. Gives us another dimsension in attack.

Haffa

Has Mamo slid down the pecking order that he's not worth throwing into the mix? He impressed me enough to think with a bit of bulk he could hold down a wing or FB.

Tom155

Coach
Has Mamo slid down the pecking order that he's not worth throwing into the mix? He impressed me enough to think with a bit of bulk he could hold down a wing or FB.
has had a back injury, hopefully it's not too serious

Last edited:

Latest posts