What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Team

perverse

Referee
You see, what I dont get is these "3rd party deals" are supposed to have no link to the club yet the club seems to be able to bring them to the table when they negotiate with a player. How the f**k does that work?

Its suss as all hell
Definitely, it's crooked as f**k, and has been for years. Darius' reaction to not receiving his third party payments has raised some eyebrows from me, too. He was likely promised that money by the club, even though they couldn't make that promise by the letter of the law.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Definitely, it's crooked as f**k, and has been for years. Darius' reaction to not receiving his third party payments has raised some eyebrows from me, too. He was likely promised that money by the club, even though they couldn't make that promise by the letter of the law.

Based on their modus operandi at the time he was signed I reckon more likely by HSG for his contract. Fine distinction but it does reflect to me that the club has even less onus to meet his losses where his 3rd party payments were concerned.

Like many here, I've got to wonder why Gidley was in the process of negotiating an exit package (reportedly of $250K) when Boyd stated he wasn't going to be at the club next year. To me that is a clear statement of intent that he was using his get out clause in his contract to relieve the Knights of his final year.

The only thing I can think that might be complicating this was a legal consideration re Boyd's state of mind when he made this statement and that impacting on whether his comments are binding? I would also assume as the NRL are the current 'owners' of the Knights, that Gidley would have been operating under instruction to put a package together.

Regardless, I don't see a future for him in first grade at the Knights in 2015 and hope this is sorted out as economically as it can be for the Knights.

Third parties are a massive leg up for clubs with heavy commercial input. This is why the next franchise has to be a Brisbane one. The Broncs have obscene levels of advantage given to them. Friday nights at home to keep Gyngell happy. Commercial interests all over the place. We are easily the most disadvantaged with third parties. I mean where does it come from? The reason we all know why we need the NRL let Koukash do his thing. He will attract sponsorship due to him being an internationally well known racing identity. No brainier. He would be our bling so to speak.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Willie Mason, Adam Cuthbertson, Travis Waddell and Timana Tahu will be joined by Josh Mantellato, Matt Minto, Michael Dobson and Anthony Quinn to be officially farewelled following Sunday’s match at Hunter Stadium.

This was in the article with the team for Sunday's game. Are we to assume from this that the likes of Houston, Fa'alogo, Hilder, etc. are staying or hasn't the club made up it's mind yet?

Spot On

Coach
Third parties are a massive leg up for clubs with heavy commercial input. This is why the next franchise has to be a Brisbane one. The Broncs have obscene levels of advantage given to them. Friday nights at home to keep Gyngell happy. Commercial interests all over the place. We are easily the most disadvantaged with third parties. I mean where does it come from? The reason we all know why we need the NRL let Koukash do his thing. He will attract sponsorship due to him being an internationally well known racing identity. No brainier. He would be our bling so to speak.

Just posted the following in the NRL forum. Not sure how accurate it all is but it's taken from the NRL website.

What players can earn outside the salary cap:

$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player's intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.
$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Unlimited - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved.

How does the Salary Cap Auditor monitor the Salary Cap?
All NRL player contracts must be lodged with the Salary Cap Auditor. These contracts are reviewed and each player's remuneration is included in the Salary Cap.

In addition, the CEO and Chairman of each club must provide a statutory declaration to the NRL at the beginning and end of each season in support of the club's Salary Cap calculation.

The Salary Cap Auditor monitors each club's Salary Cap position throughout the year based on the information provided by clubs. In addition, the Salary Cap Auditor may perform investigations into the remuneration of players if discrepancies arise. These investigations usually involve the club and its associated entities and cover all payments made and agreements entered into that may result in benefits being provided to players.

The Salary Cap Auditor also continually monitors media reports and makes enquiries in an effort to uncover any information that may have Salary Cap implications.

When clubs have been found to either breach the Salary Cap or have made undisclosed payments to a player, then the club is issued with a breach notice.

Third Party Agreements
Third party agreements are payments made by companies directly to players. There is no restriction on the amount a player can earn through third party agreements where he is being paid for his own intellectual property, without the need to employ club logos or names and where the company involved is neither a club sponsor nor are they acting on behalf of a club to secure the player's services. An example of this is a player promoting a brand or product, for example, Billy Slater and Australian Bananas.
Many players have third party agreements that are outside the salary cap. Individual players registered third party agreements totalling in excess of $10 million in 2013.

All third party agreements must be registered and approved beforehand. This is to ensure that they do not become a way for clubs or players to use sponsors or third parties to undermine the salary cap and also for the game to ensure the protection of club and game intellectual property. There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

Interestingly, only $10million worth of third party agreements were registered in 2013. That's really not a lot per club if divided by 16.

Spot On

Coach
What does the NRL deem a staisfactory wage paid from the cap for a player like a Cam Smith or Billy Slater???? I mean, their club or new club if they were to sign elsewhere, can't tell the NRL that they would get just 100K of the cap per season because the other 900K per year is going to be made up of third party deals can they????? Or can they????

I mean, if Can Smith is on 1 million atm then how much is from the Mlb cap and how much from 3rd party agreements??

I read somewhere Milford is on 450K under the cap next year so you'd have to assume there's another 500K from 3rd party to get him to walk away from the massive deal Canberra offered???

Well it can get a lot worse for us. There is no guarantee on the Mata Utias and you can thank Mary MacGregor if we keep them by blocking pete's move to the Dogs. I have little doubt that Des will be after the signatures of the brothers due to their Bankstown origins and their obvious ability. We may have to make Sione our marquee if we want to keep him. I can easily see him being on 500 k a season. It makes me sick the thought we could lose arguably the most talented juniors we have ever produced. It would be nice of Bennett stepped in and made the deals happen. Yeah right!

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Don't care if they're the best ever or not, atm they're better than anything we've got. Surely we cannot f**k this up.

Swarzey

Bench
Of course we won't know if they're our best every juniors until they get some experience under their belt, but the way they're going, they potentially very well could be and they're certainly the most exciting juniors in a long time.

If this club somehow, someway f**ks this up, then everyone should get the f**king sack.

Yosh

Coach
If we do lose them, I'll probably stop watching for a while... I love the team but I need to actually start enjoying my weekends...

Knight Vision

First Grade
Oh no

No less than a dozen clubs have expressed interest in the Mata'utia brothers, despite the fact they are all contracted until the end of next year. Newcastle trio Sione, Chanel and Pat and St George Illawarra's Peter are among the hottest properties in the game.
"The interest in them has been unbelievable," said Chris Haddad, their agent.

Swarzey

Bench
It's been reported pretty much since the Warriors game, even earlier maybe, that they've gained a lot of interest from other clubs and it shouldn't be a surprise given their first class performances. However, these boys have come through our system, they're Newcastle through and through, we'll always be their first choice regardless of what other clubs can offer. It does help that we have plenty of cap space to use.

It's not yet panic stations, they'll test their value on the market which all players at some point do, even Mullen did it before he resigned this year. Unless the club is that f**king stupid, they'll be here for years to come.

Spot On

Coach
Put it this way, if we had someone like Phol Gould running the joint we would have announced weeks ago that the boys were signed up and secure here for a while yet.

Be prepared for anything.

Noname36

First Grade
I wouldn't be panicking just yet. Managers always say things like that. I think they'll stay, but you can bet they'll drain us of everything we have...which is really annoying given the only must keep out of them is Sione.

Latest posts