What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 TV ratings

insert.pause

First Grade
Interesting to note that it was down on last year's corresponding fixture in both markets 756k Total ,508k Sydney, 248k Brisbane, but it is up in market share as the 9th most watched show last night in contrast with last year which was 12th most watched. I think you can probably put the Brisbane ratings down to the performance of the Broncos, I think it probably would have bleed ratings towards the end.

Perth Tiger

Bench
On the Perth figure. With the time difference the coverage starts at 4.30pm on a workday. This isn't helped when foxtel have a nice conveniant rplay at 7pm.

In the words of Tim Sheens, it is not a excuse but it is a reason.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Most people in Perth are still at work at 4 30 pm, if you live in the outer suburbs it is at least an hour to get home by road if your lucky,the game got a mention on 6pr but was howled down by Basil Zemplas an ex WAFL player,who also works for CH7 once DST finishes in the East number should grow.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Usual fan wank?

I was calling out perth's reds ridiculous comment

And i'm not a hardcore league fan, i'm a sports fan. Big difference mate. I follow almost all codes, so kbye

Sunday game live on Ch9 in WA could easily draw 75-100k with greater exposure for the NRL. At the moment the game is buried, no media, no profile, no promotion. Yet we still get 150k for SOO and GF. As I said Friday games will always be hard due to time difference. Most WA NRL fans have Fox and watch the game on that after years of terrible treatment by Ch9. Do they do a city breakdown for Foxsports viewing figures? I watched last nights game on the Fox replay as I suspect most of WA fans would have done.

DC_fan

Coach
Interesting to note that it was down on last year's corresponding fixture in both markets 756k Total ,508k Sydney, 248k Brisbane, but it is up in market share as the 9th most watched show last night in contrast with last year which was 12th most watched. I think you can probably put the Brisbane ratings down to the performance of the Broncos, I think it probably would have bleed ratings towards the end.

I think you will find TV viewing numbers are dropping across the board each year. The fact that you can have less viewers then last year, but have a higher placing supports this.

If you can live with high position numbers that's fine. But if you are reliant on viewing numbers then you may have a problem.

As I have said else where the next TV deal maybe the games last big one. Not because less people are watching league, but more that less people in general will be watching TV. As an entertainment format TV is dying.

insert.pause

First Grade
I think you will find TV viewing numbers are dropping across the board each year. The fact that you can have less viewers then last year, but have a higher placing supports this.

If you can live with high position numbers that's fine. But if you are reliant on viewing numbers then you may have a problem.

As I have said else where the next TV deal maybe the games last big one. Not because less people are watching league, but more that less people in general will be watching TV. As an entertainment format TV is dying.

I have said that repeatedly throughout these threads, but TV isn't dying, audiences are becoming more fragmented. You only have to look at the record ratings for RL last year to see that FTA is unrivalled for aggregating large audiences.

user_nat

Coach
Brisbane figures are pretty woeful when last years all Sydney game actually rated better on delay (I think?).

applesauce

Bench
I am a Broncos fan I am sick of Friday night Broncos already (yes I know it was a Thursday).

CH9 are killing the golden goose and by over saturating their coverage with Broncos they are forcing other fans to distain FNF and even rusted on members (myself) to resent the same shit every week.

Wish we had some Saturdays/Sundays mixed in and could watch some other teams on FNF.

In every other sport a big timeslot has a big game, doesn't matter who is playing. CH9 are conditioning people to ONLY watch QLD or NSW teams; or stop watching because it is essentially the same game week in week out.

elbusto

Coach
I am a Broncos fan I am sick of Friday night Broncos already (yes I know it was a Thursday).

CH9 are killing the golden goose and by over saturating their coverage with Broncos they are forcing other fans to distain FNF and even rusted on members (myself) to resent the same shit every week.

Wish we had some Saturdays/Sundays mixed in and could watch some other teams on FNF.

In every other sport a big game is a big game, doesn't matter who is playing. CH9 are conditioning people to ONLY watch QLD or NSW teams; or stop watching essentially the same game week in week out.
So watching one night of Thursday night footy has killed your appetite for Friday night footy?

DC_fan

Coach
I have said that repeatedly throughout these threads, but TV isn't dying, audiences are becoming more fragmented. You only have to look at the record ratings for RL last year to see that FTA is unrivalled for aggregating large audiences.

TV in general is dying. The number of people watching it is down on what it once was.

typicalfan

Coach
Will be interesting to see the Bulldogs v Eels ratings. Parra does have its dormant fans, especially if they announce Foran signing during the week.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They need to mix up the clubs more on fta. Bulldogs, eels, Broncos two weeks running at start of season.
Is there any stats on drop offs of sydney audience when certain clubs are shown or is it pretty consistent viewing regardless of clubs on show?

insert.pause

First Grade
They need to mix up the clubs more on fta. Bulldogs, eels, Broncos two weeks running at start of season.
Is there any stats on drop offs of sydney audience when certain clubs are shown or is it pretty consistent viewing regardless of clubs on show?

The big clubs rate higher, hence why nine want them on FTA.

Last nights game was basically the same total ratings as the corresponding fixture last year.

DC_fan

Coach
Melbourne numbers avg 70k is positive, brisbane unsurprisingly down with the delayed coverage, syd I think is a bit soft.

I have to agree with your comments. Its the first weekend of the season and I thought the numbers would be a little higher. Would be interesting to compare numbers to round one of last season and also 2013.

Johnny88

Juniors
Do you get the feeling many fans snub ch 9 and refuse to watch it? Personally I recorded the replay on Fox at 10pm watching in it in HD.

Diesel

Referee
9 will think the Brisbane viewers were down because the Broncos didn't play on friday, reality is everyone but 9 knows that delayed coverage doesn't work anymore

Johnny88

Juniors
9 will think the Brisbane viewers were down because the Broncos didn't play on friday, reality is everyone but 9 knows that delayed coverage doesn't work anymore
Exactly right no surprise Sunday footy is live on 9 this season the ratings fell dramatically in the last 2 seasons.