What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 TV ratings

docbrown

Coach
The fumbleball fans' butt hurt is hilarious. Meanwhile:

http://mumbrella.com.au/who-won-the-social-media-battle-between-afl-and-nrl-322519

Who won the social media battle between AFL and NRL?
claire waddington isentiaWith the AFL and NRL grand finals taking place over the weekend Claire Waddington looks at which code won the battle for social media attention.
Like many great rivalries – Coke or Pepsi, Uber or taxis, Netflix or Stan – shifts in popular opinion muddy the debate, but according to media intelligence agency, Isentia, there was a clear winner in the longstanding AFL or NRL tug-of-war over the weekend.

Among the 400,000 social media mentions measured from Friday to Sunday, AFL fans peaked at 92,000 mentions on Saturday night, with Bill Shorten and Malcolm Turnbull both chiming in on Twitter and Instagram.
Malcolm Turnbull instagram
Come Sunday, 69,000 #NRLGF tweets were orbiting cyberspace with Twittersphere analysing everything from Barnsey’s knee-high leather boots to Ben Hunt’s moments of horror. Just like the game, the winner of the online coverage went into extra time.

Cue a golden field goal from Jonathon Thurston, followed by an intimate moment with his family on the sideline – and social media erupted. The NRL emerged the clear winner with over 106,000 mentions.

Obviously for the AFL there's going to be a skew towards WA & VIC while the NRL would skew towards QLD. The NRL did well to pull those number given the AFL's greater running length & breaks (more time for social media multitasking). AFL 1819 to NRL 1959.

AFL map:
AFL-map-468x362.jpg

NRL map:
NRL-map-468x371.jpg

I remember last year they tried to use the afl peak audience vs the nrl average audience
Never under estimate how low the aFL will go to try and look as though it won the ratings war.
The fact of the matter is that the Anglo-Irish game got its arse kicked again.
The imported game from England and Ireland is really lower than a snakes belly.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Of course we are winners our game is rarely over in the first 20 mins, unlike the afl. AFL fans then start pointing at our (unfinished) TV deal which shows how desperate they are.

docbrown

Coach
The usual fumbleball TV ratings response tactics are:

1. The AFL GF is in a Saturday afternoon slot --- (apparently we're all too busy watching the SBS weather pattern, going to Bunnings for a snag and buying 99 cent baked beans at Aldi to be able to tune in for the AFL's once-a-year event - eh I'll catch it next year...).

2. NRL is on Sunday Night prime time --- (the fact that it's up against REAL prime time TV competition & people aren't physically forced to watch it is irrelevant - I don't like NRL but because it's on Sunday at 7:15pm I'll watch this thing I hate so much because... I don't know, whatever, SHUT UP!).

3. But AFL goes for 3 hours --- (so apparently X viewers multiplied by Y hours equals Forfybillion AFL fans - The Wookie has an excel spreadsheet that proves this is 110% true).

4. People in regional areas don't matter --- (because networks don't make money there despite regional NSW & QLD being massive advertising markets - only Oztam ratings mean anything because some other AFL fan said so so it must be real).

5. Viewers in NZ don't matter --- (because NZ don't have a fumbleside - but NZ has 300000000000000 fumbleball players even if only 9000 of them watched their grand final).

6. State of Origin doesn't beat the AFL GF either --- (because AFL doesn't have it any more so it’s not apples and some other fruit - plus it only rates because Rugby League is a 2 state sport even if that 2 state series out rates fumbleball nationally...).

7. 40 people watched the AFL GF on one TV at my house --- (but everyone watches the NRL GF alone in the dark on a TV connected to 50 Oztam meters) – because no rugby league fan has ever watched the grand final at a pub, live site or family gathering ever

8. AFL fans don’t watch the AFL GF because it’s usually a blow out --- which somehow is also meant to explain why it is such a thrilling sport to watch

9. AFL is better to watch at the ground so people don’t watch it on TV --- even though the vast majority of supporters never bothered to/know they never had a chance to get tickets to the grand final…

10. The Crowds --- because... Crowds is TV derp! Shut up! - see also Memberships are also somehow TV

11. When all else fails, revise the AFL ratings --- this just in… mysterious update: turns out there were 1.7 million people watching it on Kevin Sheedy’s TV. Suck it NRL!

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
7. 40 people watched the AFL GF on one TV at my house --- (but everyone watches the NRL GF alone in the dark on a TV connected to 50 Oztam meters) – because no rugby league fan has ever watched the grand final at a pub, live site or family gathering ever

http://www.oztam.com.au/TheRatingsProcess.aspx

All household residents and any guests register their presence using a remote control. The panel members do not need to do anything else for OzTAM to capture their viewing.

No doubt in my mind that fumbleball is dying a slow and painful death, and as far as I'm concerned it can't happen quick enough.
Its really a game of 19th century Anglo Saxon Australia, not 21st century multicultural Australia. It has no place in modern Australia.
Expect a lot of continuing BS statements coming out of vicky kicky house over the next few years as vicky kicky house tries to hide the obvious.
The sooner this embarrassment of sport departs the Australian sporting landscape the better.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Thiis Sunday night guarantees a big rating is pure crap. On Saturday afternoon there is nothing else on except a Francis the talking mule movie but on Sunday night there was a major stoush in my house when certain people wanted to watch the new Dr Who.
In any case the time difference between the GFs has been around for at least 10 years and for most of those AFL won. RLs continuing ascendancy is proof that AFL is having a slow miserable death

Warriors Fever

Juniors
It's funny when rugby fans start weighing in with the australia v England, claiming a significant match in a once every four year event between two big populations a major win for union.

juro

Bench
Well, as a parent of young children, I can see the negative of having the grand final at night time. This year was the first one where my kids were allowed to stay up past their bedtime to watch. If it was an afternoon event, they would have been watching every year.

magpie4ever

First Grade
No doubt in my mind that fumbleball is dying a slow and painful death, and as far as I'm concerned it can't happen quick enough.
Its really a game of 19th century Anglo Saxon Australia, not 21st century multicultural Australia. It has no place in modern Australia.
Expect a lot of continuing BS statements coming out of vicky kicky house over the next few years as vicky kicky house tries to hide the obvious.
The sooner this embarrassment of sport departs the Australian sporting landscape the better.

Now I'm no AFL fan, but WTF.

I think there are as many Mediterranean_Decendants playing AFL as League.

So what is your point and what background are you from, you seem to have a hatred for us Anglos?

Nerd

Bench

1. The AFL GF is in a Saturday afternoon slot --- (apparently we're all too busy watching the SBS weather pattern, going to Bunnings for a snag and buying 99 cent baked beans at Aldi to be able to tune in for the AFL's once-a-year event - eh I'll catch it next year...).

2. NRL is on Sunday Night prime time --- (the fact that it's up against REAL prime time TV competition & people aren't physically forced to watch it is irrelevant - I don't like NRL but because it's on Sunday at 7:15pm I'll watch this thing I hate so much because... I don't know, whatever, SHUT UP!).

3. But AFL goes for 3 hours --- (so apparently X viewers multiplied by Y hours equals Forfybillion AFL fans - The Wookie has an excel spreadsheet that proves this is 110% true).

4. People in regional areas don't matter --- (because networks don't make money there despite regional NSW & QLD being massive advertising markets - only Oztam ratings mean anything because some other AFL fan said so so it must be real).

5. Viewers in NZ don't matter --- (because NZ don't have a fumbleside - but NZ has 300000000000000 fumbleball players even if only 9000 of them watched their grand final).

6. State of Origin doesn't beat the AFL GF either --- (because AFL doesn't have it any more so it?s not apples and some other fruit - plus it only rates because Rugby League is a 2 state sport even if that 2 state series out rates fumbleball nationally...).

7. 40 people watched the AFL GF on one TV at my house --- (but everyone watches the NRL GF alone in the dark on a TV connected to 50 Oztam meters) ? because no rugby league fan has ever watched the grand final at a pub, live site or family gathering ever

8. AFL fans don?t watch the AFL GF because it?s usually a blow out --- which somehow is also meant to explain why it is such a thrilling sport to watch

9. AFL is better to watch at the ground so people don?t watch it on TV --- even though the vast majority of supporters never bothered to/know they never had a chance to get tickets to the grand final?

10. The Crowds --- because... Crowds is TV derp! Shut up! - see also Memberships are also somehow TV

11. When all else fails, revise the AFL ratings --- this just in? mysterious update: turns out there were 1.7 million people watching it on Kevin Sheedy?s TV. Suck it NRL!
You've summed up their usual responses beautifully.

Now I'm no AFL fan, but WTF.

I think there are as many Mediterranean_Decendants playing AFL as League.

So what is your point and what background are you from, you seem to have a hatred for us Anglos?
No i have no hatred for you Anglo's, in fact i lived and worked in the UK for a while. My hatred is directed towards fumbleball and the people who run it and their constant BS statements.
Yes i call fumbelball the Anglo-Irish game and that's because it is.
Despite the continuing waffle that comes out of vicky kicky house about it being Australia's game its not. It just BS coming out of fumbelball house.
If you don't know already the first laws of fumbleball were written down by a man who went to Rugby school in England and played Rugby and Cricket at that school.
Before he went to England he had already seen a game being played in Victoria of a fusion between 19th century Rugby and Gaelic football, and its was between English and Irish gold miners.
Guess what, fumbelball is played on a cricket oval with a Rugby shaped ball. Its about Australian in origin as pasta

DiegoNT

First Grade

6. State of Origin doesn't beat the AFL GF either --- (because AFL doesn't have it any more so it?s not apples and some other fruit - plus it only rates because Rugby League is a 2 state sport even if that 2 state series out rates fumbleball nationally...).

7. 40 people watched the AFL GF on one TV at my house --- (but everyone watches the NRL GF alone in the dark on a TV connected to 50 Oztam meters) ? because no rugby league fan has ever watched the grand final at a pub, live site or family gathering ever

8. AFL fans don?t watch the AFL GF because it?s usually a blow out --- which somehow is also meant to explain why it is such a thrilling sport to watch

9. AFL is better to watch at the ground so people don?t watch it on TV --- even though the vast majority of supporters never bothered to/know they never had a chance to get tickets to the grand final?

11. When all else fails, revise the AFL ratings --- this just in? mysterious update: turns out there were 1.7 million people watching it on Kevin Sheedy?s TV. Suck it NRL!

Someone needs to post this on bigpoofy!!

magpie4ever

First Grade
No i have no hatred for you Anglo's, in fact i lived and worked in the UK for a while. My hatred is directed towards fumbleball and the people who run it and their constant BS statements.
Yes i call fumbelball the Anglo-Irish game and that's because it is.
Despite the continuing waffle that comes out of vicky kicky house about it being Australia's game its not. It just BS coming out of fumbelball house.
If you don't know already the first laws of fumbleball were written down by a man who went to Rugby school in England and played Rugby and Cricket at that school.
Before he went to England he had already seen a game being played in Victoria of a fusion between 19th century Rugby and Gaelic football, and its was between English and Irish gold miners.
Guess what, fumbelball is played on a cricket oval with a Rugby shaped ball. Its about Australian in origin as pasta

We all (well mostl of us) know the history of AFL and the history od soccer and rugby union, and guess what they all came out (official rules etc) came out of the anglo society. And further, guess what rugby league sprung from rugby. They are all anglo in origin.

So what is your point, as said there are as many new australians playing AFL as league and union?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't get rational with him, he hates AFL and isn't going to put a coherent argument together lol. he's as bad as the irrational League hating AFL fans. The fact he thinks they are going to disappear despite just signing a $2.5billion tv deal says it all.

What's more of a concern is their push as "Australia's game" and the long term public perception that creates. I've seen RL in England fall into a small niche sport totally dominated by soccer which got its act together in the 90's and became the EPL juggernaut and has just swamped the sports scene across the UK, including in league heartlands. Anyone who thinks AFL hasn't got the same long term plans in Australia is kidding themselves.

elbusto

Coach
Don't get rational with him, he hates AFL and isn't going to put a coherent argument together lol. he's as bad as the irrational League hating AFL fans. The fact he thinks they are going to disappear despite just signing a $2.5billion tv deal says it all.

What's more of a concern is their push as "Australia's game" and the long term public perception that creates. I've seen RL in England fall into a small niche sport totally dominated by soccer which got its act together in the 90's and became the EPL juggernaut and has just swamped the sports scene across the UK, including in league heartlands. Anyone who thinks AFL hasn't got the same long term plans in Australia is kidding themselves.
you can freaking talk. The local afl fear monger! Put a team in perth or were doomed! Pot kettle mate

Last edited: