What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos Discussion

Nuke

Staff member
Strangely enough, they first wore the new white jersey in 2008 - the Centenary Of Rugby League in Australia. The year all teams (including State Of Origin I think?) celebrated their histories by wearing heritage jerseys from their past or from their region's history (and not the modern idea of 'heritage' which are jerseys 'inspired by' jerseys past). The year everyone was all about celebrating the last hundred years ... and the Country RL jersey changed for the first time ever to something definitely NOT historical or heritage!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
57581456-city-captain-craig-gower-and-country-captain-gettyimages.jpg

Back in the day...

The CvC clash couldnt last too much longer (its a bit of a joke thesse day), but it would be a
shame to lose the Country brand...

Ive always though it was a shame we didnt ditch CvC in the 80s and just us the COuntry brand
for one of our 3 regional NSW teams (between Canberra/Illawarra/Newcastle, it really could
have worked for any of them).

Its probably too late for any of them to take it on, but i wonder if there is a way to keep it alive after CvC dies...

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^

Maybe the Panthers would take on the colours and have a badge on the sleeve or something...

- Gus is one of the few advocates for the clash, so he might be onside with "saving" the brand.
- Aside from their logo, they Panthers have no brand/establihed jersey and they are shockingly willing to change their colours, so changing to Maroon-Gold would not be a huge jump + giving them an establish/respected brand might convince them to stick with 1 jumper for a while.
- They pride themselves on being "not Sydney City" and they are pushing support in country areas, so it might be a valuable association for them.

Probably wont happen, but just a thought. I really do want to save that old Country brand....

Last edited:
The Country Origin jersey was changed to white so the traditional maroon and gold one could become the Country Firsts jersey. For several years they had the white Origin jersey, maroon Firsts and a yellow Country Seconds (Bulls) jumper. Seems reasonable except that for some reason they had the Firsts wear the white jersey last year too. So it now makes no sense.

Pommy

Coach
1462158564047.jpg

For some reason the shop isn't loading correctly so I can't find a better photo.
I will withhold judgement until I see a better view of it, but I don't know why they have gone for black? Its a home game so it should feature red and green predominantly, at least n my eyes. Last years was mostly white but we were away at Manly so I didn't mind so much.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
country 1st is a side picked from playera that play in the country. back in the late 80's early 90$s we used to have country vs city origin and also country 1st vs city 1st.

I believe either 1991 or 1992 was the last year the City Firsts included players in the NRL/NSWRL.

I remember Steve Roach played for the City Firsts one year, even though he could've played for Country Origin, up against the Country Firsts, which was pretty much Country based players.

After that the City Firsts (which I think changed to Sydney Metro), were players from the Metro Cup and Country firsts stayed the same.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
1462158564047.jpg

For some reason the shop isn't loading correctly so I can't find a better photo.
I will withhold judgement until I see a better view of it, but I don't know why they have gone for black? Its a home game so it should feature red and green predominantly, at least n my eyes. Last years was mostly white but we were away at Manly so I didn't mind so much.

Thats a really nice jersey. Problem is it could belong to anyone (i thought it was a panthers strip at first glance)...

A Red-Green stripe is all thats needed, maybe one on each sleeve. Done.

the beavers

Juniors
I guess I can understand if it's for indigenous round/week...a worthy cause.
But why does everything have to be a commemorative this special round that?
Why can't city country just be city country....
Does my head in really....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
City are sponsored by Kari Aboriginal Education, makes sense.

Latest posts