What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 rinse and repeat?

It be only fitting that another QLD team goes back-to back if the Cowboys go all the way. Realistically, they make finals again the quality is there still but a narrow loss to the eventual premiers probably would occur. The GF hangover is real after seeing what happen to Souths this year, just hope it's not as bad as that.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I expect both sides to back up in the 4 for sure, however a probable slight loss of desire will tell on the Cowboys, whilst I am not sure the Bronco's will back up mentally next year to win the big one.

JJ

Immortal
To be honest, you were going okay until SJ was injured.
The injection of RTS can't be underestimated. His best years are still ahead of him. He could be anything. And Isaac Luke will add a fair bit.

One year it will click.

I just question the coach.

We weren't if you look at who we'd beaten - and who'd beaten us - we had a good draw, and did what we usually do, gain some ground around origin time.

The spine is potentially very good (Luke is a grubby f**k though, and in our environment might regress), but coach, centres very questionable...

We should be top 8, I'm not picking top 4 yet... we need a strong start, and a strong finish, we've seldom managed either

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Neither side are losing key players like the Roosters and Souths did after their wins

Both will probably be Top 4 again next year, so anything is possible...

broncs will be there.
warriors will be top 4 if they play to their potential, but i have them making a last minute run to sneak into the 8 and being a bit of a bogey finals team for others and possibly making gf or prelims from there

Benny77

Juniors
Hastings is capable of replacing Maloney. Who ever gets thrown at the back just has to do a solid job. I fear if it goes to Mitchell or Ferguson we will get some really inconsistent play, some of it will be brilliant but at other times it could be mistake ridden.

Having Nikorima will save Friend. It may waste a sub or two but he is an attacking spark that could be really beneficial for us.

I don't think we'll be as good as the last three seasons but I'd have us definitely in the top 8 and an outside chance for the top 4.

I agree with this. We are losing two really good players but people have to remember that we had without doubt the best roster in the comp and were 1st after regular season 3 years in a row. For this reason, I don't think losing two good players will drop us from most wins in regular season to out of the top 8.

We won't be missing Maloney at all by halfway through the season because Hastings will have filled in very nicely.

The interchange reduction actually suits us and the Broncos the best I think. Our young forwards play massive minutes compared to other forward pack.

The only worry is FB and that will be what prevents us from being right up there again. It will bring us back to the pack but I think we will be 4th or 5th as our roster is still better than most and we will also finally not be the benchmark for all other teams which will really help, especially come finals time.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The Roosters will be top four next year, unless they're struck with a major injury crisis.

The culture of the club as much as the individuals in it contribute to three minor premierships in a row. The coach is clearly outstanding. It's still a squad that stands up as a top four side. Maloney is a loss but Hastings is capable of filling the void and Pearce is still a quality club halve. The pack remains the same as far as I'm aware (?) and whilst RTS is a massive loss, whoever gets to play there is going to have a rollicking pack to play on the back of. Might get a sense of how much of RTS' work this year has owed thanks to what's happened in front of him and the overall club environment when he goes to the Warriors....

I'd lock in the Broncos and Roosters for top four next year. I'd go Broncos easily for the minor prem, they'll be hurt and hungry. Then you can toss a coin with the Dogs, Storm and Cows as to who stays injury free and gets a bit of luck along the way. The Warriors are a smokey but I wouldn't put a stray 20c piece on it.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Joe Burgess will win the Dally M and lead the Roosters to premiership glory. He'll score 40 tries as well

DiegoNT

First Grade
Ask this question this time last year and the majority would of picked 1 of Roosters, panthers, bulldogs or rabbitohs to at least be in the GF

rabbitohs95

Bench
I think the demographic of the 8 will change considerably.

This offseason especially we see the higher ranked teams lose big names while the lower ones gain a lot.

You only have to look at it yourself...

Roosters lose Maloney and RTS
Broncos lose Hodges
Rabbitohs lose Issac Luke
Bulldogs lose Pritchard and Hodkinson
Sea Eagles lose Foran

Meanwhile

Warriors gain Luke and RTS
Eels gain Scott, Gordon and Foran
Raiders gain Sezer
Knights gain Hodkinson
Sharks gain Maloney

Not to mention some teams signing a plethora of players and losing a lot too like Penrith and the Gold Coast.

It's gonna be another crazy year in 2016 and I can't wait.

nick87

Coach
Every year I think "boy, hard not to see these teams back here again next year" and every year they aren't
It's more likely one of these teams won't even make the 8 than it is both will be in a rematch

Warriors loom large

isaiah

Bench
Yeah definitely. Just play it next week to save time. We can spend next season drinking and cavorting.

Forget the whole idea of 26 rounds, I just want to see Broncos v Cowboys every week from March to October. Battle of attrition, first to 15 wins triumphs, the rest are dead rubbers.

BranVan3000

Coach
Premiers curse is real.

Cowboys will party too hard and enjoy their victory too much. The hunger won't be there next year

It is known

ram raid

Bench
It always seems that way from the myopic stand point of the present. It might happen, but it's doubtful.

broncos should come back better and make the gf
lots of teams can challenge them for the other spot
atm broncos v warriors if warriors don't finish top 4 because a week off for them would kill their momentum they always get from bottom half of 8

Iafeta

Referee
For those claiming the Warriors to go up, woe be tide. The last 4 years have been the definition of rinse and repeat, start slow, go on a mid season run, die off completely end of year. Its been the same every year. The club is ridiculously soft and unprofessional. Yes, SJ got injured this year, but what are the excuses 2k12-14?

History suggests teams don't go back to back. You need a lot of luck injury wise and salary cap management is critical. Salary cap wise both those teams seem to have done well. But they both will be facing extra rep selection issues I'd suspect, which may bring injuries. Souffs are on the slide. Roosters I think have lost some critical combinations. Sharks I think will rise, Sezer to Canberra is a really good pick up... but aside from that I don't see massive top 8 changes. The Tigers list is still poor, as is Parra's (Beau Scott is not the answer and Foran can't do it on his own), the Knights if anything look worse, the Warriors still are soft...

Iafeta

Referee
broncos should come back better and make the gf
lots of teams can challenge them for the other spot
atm broncos v warriors if warriors don't finish top 4 because a week off for them would kill their momentum they always get from bottom half of 8

2002 - minor premiers, got to the GF in straight sets. I think its still a lot easier for all teams including the Warriors to be top 4, particularly with the advantages now.

Latest posts