What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 rinse and repeat?

Charlie124

First Grade
I dont even care to be honest. We just won our first comp in history, if you asked me a few days ago what id pay to see that happen id gladly accept the next three wooden spoons (not that i believe that would happen). This was the most important and rewarding 83 minutes of the last 20 years.

blaza88z

Coach
so many things need to go right for a team to figure in a GF each year, the obvious thing being a bit of luck with injuries

we lost McGuire this year who at the time was a monumental loss but Adam Blair stepped up and that has us looking even better for next season but what's to say we will have a good run again, I would bank on us being able to repeat the quality footy we played if we don't suffer any significant injuries but that's an uncontrollable if and it's the same for a lot of teams really

Cronulla look good though and we all know they haven't won a comp, so who knows.. they might get a free ride

Based of this season, I would have confidently said the Bulldogs had we not let Hodkinson go.

But TBH this years performances won't mean shit next year. Players will develop, some will go to shit, teams will start working better etc.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So much comes down to injuries. The Cowboys had a tremendous run with injuries and that proved the difference because they have an absolutely killer line up.

It's the best spine in the comp and you give them all that time together on the field to thrive and develop combos - especially behind a fully fit world class forward pack - and they were always going to be hard to stop.

Compare that to the Roosters who had their heart ripped out in the space of 5 minutes of disastrous luck against the Broncos in rnd 24. And even the Dogs who were heating up only to lose Hokko which destroyed them.

Point being, as usual there will be 3-4 elite teams fighting it out, and it just may be the two with most of their key players available that once again make the GF.

some11

Referee
I dont even care to be honest. We just won our first comp in history, if you asked me a few days ago what id pay to see that happen id gladly accept the next three wooden spoons (not that i believe that would happen). This was the most important and rewarding 83 minutes of the last 20 years.

This is the No Winners Club, get out :lol:

Injuries are the single biggest factor, getting McGuire back should hopefully enable us to back up with another top two finish.

Cows will probably drop a few games during the regular season and save their energy to go on a run a few weeks out from the finals.

BranVan3000

Coach
The past few years haven't thrown up many surprises on who has made the GF. Lately it's either a team that has been in that finals mix for a few years or a team that has made some really high profile signings - usually with the coach

I get the feeling the Dogs are due. But maybe their window is closing. Sharks would be another who have been in that discussion for awhile and should have the pieces and experience to win finals games

Warriors have recruited well but lack a classy coach. Same for Eels

Souths and Roosters both have weakened rosters. But historically seen to find the replacements needed

Brisbane will have Grand Finallist hangover and probably will win one in 2017

Feel like Storms window has closed they are in a transition period away from the big 3 who will be a bit of a disruptive influence being in and out of the squad with injury

Cowboys won't have the same hunger. Not a bad thing they will enjoy their Premiership and its incredibly hard to get up and go again. I imagine even more so when living in a bubble like Townsville. Premierships are 25% luck with injuries (which can be improved with very dedicated training and preparation), 25% skill and 50% hunger and desire

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
The 2 guys that left set up most of our tries and line breaks this year. Them being gone is going to be a huge problem, especially as it will also see Ferguson moved out of the centres where he was regularly dangerous.

The reduced interchange is also going to be a problem for Jake Friend as he has proven to not be an 80 minute player the last quarter of the season so having to waste 2 subs and a bench spot a game giving him a rest will cause an issue to our forward rotation.

We had our premiership window from '13-'15. Hopefully another one opens up soon

I actually think you'll see rotated dummy halves being a big factor next year. I think the team that has the best two man rotation will go a long way to winning it. There are very few genuine 80 minute hookers in the game and the ones that are 80 minute players aren't exactly the types to be exposing tiring forward packs

Valheru

Coach
If the roosters don’t make the top 4 next year it will be a failure and not making the 8 will be an epic failure. We still have a gun side littered with rep players including a forward pack good enough to keep us within touching distance in any game.

The biggest thing we will miss from Maloney is his goal kicking. Hastings was excellent this year and should thrive after his first pre-season as a starting half. RTS is obviously a massive loss and is irreplaceable; however, it is not as if we have no options. We are told Latrell Mitchell could be anything so we will see how that goes. I would expect fergo could do a serviceable job as well.

The key for the roosters is to start the season well so that they don’t need to be at the top of their game for 10 straight weeks to finish the season just to make the top 4. In 2013 they did just that and were able to lift in the finals as opposed to showing their hand in 2014/15 and getting walloped when it mattered.

Edwahu

Bench
Roosters will likely win the minor premiership again. They still have the forwards to beat all the lesser teams into submission and if they win half their games against the top sides its probably enough. It's hard to see them going all the way though.

My main question mark would be on Fergo at fullback, he was woeful the few times he played there for Canberra.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Provided we don't have another horror injury toll I'll be conservative and remain optimistic for a Warriors top 8 finish but nothing more.

Hopefully a good off season will allow us to develop some combinations and a settled line up will give us an idea of what this team/coach is actually capable of.

Outside backs remain my biggest concern, especially on defense. Too many times this season we'd aim up in the middle only for a quick spread to relieve the pressure far too easily. Once on the goal line.....ugh.

blaza88z

Coach
If the roosters don?t make the top 4 next year it will be a failure and not making the 8 will be an epic failure. We still have a gun side littered with rep players including a forward pack good enough to keep us within touching distance in any game.

The biggest thing we will miss from Maloney is his goal kicking. Hastings was excellent this year and should thrive after his first pre-season as a starting half. RTS is obviously a massive loss and is irreplaceable; however, it is not as if we have no options. We are told Latrell Mitchell could be anything so we will see how that goes. I would expect fergo could do a serviceable job as well.

The key for the roosters is to start the season well so that they don?t need to be at the top of their game for 10 straight weeks to finish the season just to make the top 4. In 2013 they did just that and were able to lift in the finals as opposed to showing their hand in 2014/15 and getting walloped when it mattered.

that's an identical line to the one in my signature :lol:

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Definitely not

The greatest strength of our game is how hard it is to even make a GF let alone win one.

Broncos were under the radar a bit this year as no one expected them to be this good. They will have a target on their back now like South's this year and us the year before.

Same for the Cowboys although it will be even worse given that they won it all.

Teams will be gunning for both of them.

will be interested to see how we go I'm thinking 3-5 depending on injuries. Hargraves turned out to be a killer blow for us as it would be for any team losing the leader of their pack.

obviously RTS could be anything and losing him will no doubt hurt as well. as other have said will be interesting to see how he goes at a club with a weaker culture although he does seem like a pretty disciplined kid. Slot Hastings into 7 Pearce at 6 and find a goal kicker. the kids short kicking game looks to be very good seems a much more instinctive player than Pearce as well.

Personally, as a Roosters fan, I'm expecting some slippage next year. Hastings in general play will admirably fill the vacancy left by Maloney but his goal kicking is not on par with Jimmy's.

Also Latrell Mitchell is not ready for first grade yet. He has oodles of talent but he does make some bad mistakes at times. With the plan being to blood him on the win, and use Ferguson at fullback in 2016, I think the team will see some slippage in attack.

The Sharks are a team I expect to see improvement from. In pressure situations, like their 2015 round 26 game, Maloney will be willing to stand up to guys like Gallen, tell him to rack off, so the backs can use the ball.

The Warriors? Have the talent on the park but I have concerns about whether they have the right coaching staff to get the best out of it.

Last edited:
obviously RTS could be anything and losing him will no doubt hurt as well. as other have said will be interesting to see how he goes at a club with a weaker culture although he does seem like a pretty disciplined kid. Slot Hastings into 7 Pearce at 6 and find a goal kicker. the kids short kicking game looks to be very good seems a much more instinctive player than Pearce as well.

Hastings is the most proficient goal kicker at the club with Maloney leaving. I dare say he'll be doing that job in 2016. I dare say Pearce will be at 7 and Hastings at 6 based on what Robinson has said earlier in the year.

MarkC

Juniors
To put it in perspective this time last year some were predicting Souths may go back-to-back, that happens every year regardless.
Souths started 2015 well, and we all know how that finished.
But you would have to say injuries and suspensions played a big part.

Both the Cowboys and Broncos look like they will be contenders next year, but they both have different hurdles to overcome.

The Cowboys will be defending premiers and everyone will want to beat them, some of their key players (Thurston & Scott) will be a year older.

For the Broncos I think it is mainly just the mental hangover from losing a close GF, it isn't always easy to bounce back.

If the Broncos can win the comp next year that will confirm Bennett as the greatest coach of all time. If anyone can bring the team back stronger next year, he is probably the coach to do it.

But IMO the mental hangover is a big mountain to climb, like all journeys a good start is essential.

The one big plus the Broncos have is Milford who is a sensational player and still looks to have improvement in him.

Sime_11

Juniors
Broncos good chance to make the GF again unfortunately, cant see the cows going back to back, they'll have a target on their heads as defend prems next year.

Warriors, Canterbury & Panthers to be the dark horses next year if they get a good run with Injuries.

wouldn't surprise me if Milford or Hunt got Dally M or Clive Churchill next year.

Snappy

Coach
I have a left nut as collateral if you want to have a bet on the Warriors making the GF. I'm pretty sure I won't have to part with it.

Wrong. You have already lost lefty in a bet.

The post below is from before the 2015 season.

Of all the delusional things I've heard, 'Hodges has one more good season in him' rates right up there from you.

I would bet my left testicle Hodges plays less than a dozen games next year. And I am really fond of my testicles, the left one in particular.

Danish

Referee
If the roosters don?t make the top 4 next year it will be a failure and not making the 8 will be an epic failure. We still have a gun side littered with rep players including a forward pack good enough to keep us within touching distance in any game.

The key for the roosters is to start the season well so that they don?t need to be at the top of their game for 10 straight weeks to finish the season just to make the top 4. In 2013 they did just that and were able to lift in the finals as opposed to showing their hand in 2014/15 and getting walloped when it mattered.

Maloney and RTS were responsible for 21 tries (3rd and 4th in the team), 35 try assists (1st and 3rd), 33 linebreak assists (1st and 2nd), and 28 linebreaks (2nd and 4th) for our squad.

To put that in perspective, we made a total of 124 linebreaks and scored 111 tries this year. So these 2 guys alone had a hand in more than half of all tries scored, and just under half of all linebreaks.

Their loss is going to be simply massive for our side

Latest posts