What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 season - draw release

Another season has finished up for the year. Now onto the next season. When does the draw come out?

Will it come out in early December like last season, or in late October like the previous seasons?

Any certainties of some games already in place? Like the ANZAC Day games, Easter games, Queens Birthday etc?

rabbitohs95

Bench
Hoping it comes out ASAP

For Souths this will happen most likely;

- Round 1 and 26 vs Roosters to kick off the season (as it should be) but I wouldn't mind seeing Broncos vs Cowboys

- Round 5 vs Bulldogs Good Friday and again in Rounds 23-25

- The only game against Cronulla to be at Remondis on a terrible Monday night in June

- Dragons at the SCG around Round 20 on a Saturday night, the other game on a Monday at ANZ

- First Bye Round as late as possible, with the other one coming 2 weeks later

- Playing the Broncos at Suncorp

- Not playing the Warriors in Auckland

Think that's about it.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Yeah hopefully we don't wait another 8 weeks for next years draw to come out. Easter will be round 3 in 2016 not rnd 5 ( late March ) I'd doubt they'll play the GF rematch in rnd 1... so no Broncos V Cowboys til probably rnd 5 or so. Broncos to probably still start the season at home though.. against Manly or someone I'd say roosters v bunnies at SFS in rnd 1 some other lock ins . Dogs V Bunnies on Good Friday ...... maybe Broncos V Parramatta at Suncorp that night ? Cows V Storm at 1300 smiles on Easter Sat night Tigers Parra on easter Monday ANZAC day .... Roosters Dragons at SFS & Storm V Warriors at AAMI Dragons V Dogs on Queens Birthday Monday . some nice traditions growing in our schedule

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I'm kinda hoping the Souths V Warriors "tradition" at Perth has a break this season (sorry WA Warriors fans)!

Has already been announced that Warriors will be playing in Christchurch against the Panthers at some point, so I guess no Wellington game (which is sad for me, even though this year's game against Dragons was dismal in all respects - weather, player performance, scoreline).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Another season has finished up for the year. Now onto the next season. When does the draw come out?

Will it come out in early December like last season, or in late October like the previous seasons?

Any certainties of some games already in place? Like the ANZAC Day games, Easter games, Queens Birthday etc?

It's been late Nov/early Dec for a few years now... and judging from what I've seen mentioned so far nothing in that is likely to change.

Roll on end 2017 when the NRL takes control of the schedule.

MarkC

Juniors
Hoping it comes out ASAP

Bulldogs vs Souths Good Friday this year was a disaster for both teams.

It it will probably never happen again, but I would think about changing the schedule.

Hopefully the Stormcats won't f**k over any rival fans who've booked flights to their game by selling their game to NZ after the fixture is released.

It'd be nice to see the NRL stand by their bullshit "Fan First" fantasy and see that that utter bullshit didn't happen again.

That was Bush League.

Bush League!!!

Timmah

Staff member
Bulldogs vs Souths Good Friday this year was a disaster for both teams.

It it will probably never happen again, but I would think about changing the schedule.
Bulldogs v Souths will never not be played on the Easter weekend, simple as that.
Hopefully the Stormcats won't f**k over any rival fans who've booked flights to their game by selling their game to NZ after the fixture is released.

It'd be nice to see the NRL stand by their bullshit "Fan First" fantasy and see that that utter bullshit didn't happen again.

That was Bush League.

Bush League!!!

Storm definitely arsed that up. Most clubs say the amount of home games they'll hold at their primary venue - Storm said 12 then opted to move one which was a dick move.

They'll learn from it... I don't think they'll even move a game in 2016.

Bman26

Juniors
Storm to play Warriors on Anzac day again as it should be.

Not having to play Melbourne, Townsville, Melbourne, Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland if possible (didn't happen this year but it's always a worry)

Not having back to back 5 day turnarounds.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It's been late Nov/early Dec for a few years now... and judging from what I've seen mentioned so far nothing in that is likely to change.

Roll on end 2017 when the NRL takes control of the schedule.

I think it'll depend on when the tv deal is finalised & if the changes are brought forward. i.e. - Thursday nights, 1 Friday game, no MNF etc.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hoping it comes out ASAP

For Souths this will happen most likely;

- Round 1 and 26 vs Roosters to kick off the season (as it should be) but I wouldn't mind seeing Broncos vs Cowboys

- The only game against Cronulla to be at Remondis on a terrible Monday night in June

- Dragons at the SCG around Round 20 on a Saturday night, the other game on a Monday at ANZ

- First Bye Round as late as possible, with the other one coming 2 weeks later

- Playing the Broncos at Suncorp

- Not playing the Warriors in Auckland

Think that's about it.

Great post.

That's my thoughts too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm kinda hoping the Souths V Warriors "tradition" at Perth has a break this season (sorry WA Warriors fans)!

Has already been announced that Warriors will be playing in Christchurch against the Panthers at some point, so I guess no Wellington game (which is sad for me, even though this year's game against Dragons was dismal in all respects - weather, player performance, scoreline).

Souths will be playing Warriors in Perth next year I reckon.

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL will launch the 2016 season with a Thursday night spectacular in Townsville to cash in on the phenomenal popularity of Johnathan Thurston’s Cowboys.

Channel Nine will broadcast a live 8pm coverage of the recently crowned NRL premiers against one of the top-rating Sydney clubs, probably either the Parramatta Eels or the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The opening round kick-off has been scheduled for Thursday March 3 with games going all the way through to the Monday night Fox Sports match.

Nine is keen to cash in on Kieran Foran’s multi-million dollar signing at Parramatta and a first-up assignment against Thurston and Michael Morgan to attract the big ratings in NSW and QLD.

There is enormous interest in the Eels for 2016 with Foran and Origin enforcer Beau Scott on deck to try to lift the club into finals contention.

Scott came under fire in his last appearance in Townsville for the Newcastle Knights when he took Thurston out and smashed the champion playmaker with a highly questionable late tackle.

The Cowboys captured the imagination of footy fans the length of the eastern seaboard with their memorable victory over the Broncos in what has been described as the greatest grand final ever.

Channel Nine and Fox Sports still retain full control of the NRL draw until the new broadcasting deal comes into play in 2018 when the governing body will determine its own schedule.

NRL executive staff have been meeting regularly with Nine and Fox Sports since the grand final to with the aim of finalising the schedule much earlier than last year when frustrated fans were kept waiting until almost Christmas.

This year the aim is to try to match rivals the AFL, who always produce a draw by early to mid November even with the two extra teams and complicated broadcasting commitments.

Not all Cowboys fans will be happy about the Thursday night kick-off.

The game will be played in daylight saving time in NSW, meaning a 7pm local kick-off for members and supporters who regularly travel for three hours or more from North Queensland outposts.

Also the average temperature in March in Townsville is 31 degrees which will make it difficult for the players.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ht-in-townsville/story-e6frf3rc-1227576183521

Latest posts