What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 season - draw release

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Might not even be at Brookie if Manly don't sign a deal :lol:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
For the last five years, the AFL Fixture has always been out on either 29, 30 or 31 October from what I can see. So you could almost pinpoint that being it again next year.

From what I understand the clubs had the draw on Monday and everything was set for Tuesday release - then a telephone hookup was cancelled and it appears some clubs were unhappy with a couple of things. It's possible someone missed an unacceptably short turnaround like happened 2 years ago.

Reeks of an amateur operation year in year out

Pommy

Coach
I doubt they are leaks, they seem more like teasers....

They have done this previously, and to great effect; they claimed a weeks work of front pages during last years summer when they had no right to any coverage.

If this is a deliberate campaign, then they are doing a great job (all you lot are talking about it). But, yes, if they are still putting it together then this all is amateur (unlikely though, itd be impossible to leak games if the draw wasnt finished. A single change would have dramatic knock on effects that would see many of these "leaks" changed)

This is exactly what is happening. Clubs and the NRL are releasing 'select' dates. No way these dates have been fixed without picking all the other games as well.
At work people in the lunch room have been talking everyday about the latest dates. Release them all in one go and it is forgotten about from the following day until March.

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL is racing against the clock to finalise its 2016 draw after coming across several teething problems.

The biggest concern is over the prevalence of short turnarounds, which became a hot issue at the end of last season.

The Australian spoke to officials at two clubs yesterday which were still waiting to receive any indication of their schedule for next season, while several other clubs have already been provided details, verbally or otherwise, of their home games for next season.

The chief executives of all 16 clubs were scheduled to hold a telephone conference on Tuesday before the draw was made public but that was cancelled when the NRL became aware of several issues that needed to be resolved.

The Australian was told yesterday that the problems were largely “rats and mice” issues that could all be fixed, but several clubs were believed to be unhappy at aspects of their schedules which include forcing teams to travel interstate on short turnarounds between matches.

The NRL came under fire from Melbourne Storm after a tough end to the 2015 regular season saw them forced to play three games in nine days just before the start of the finals series.

The issue later threatened to derail the Dally M Awards, with a group of elite players led by North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston threatening to boycott the event unless the NRL took steps to eliminate five-day turnarounds.

The NRL has said it hopes to abolish five-day turnarounds when it regains full control of the draw when the next broadcast deal starts in 2018 but it is hamstrung until then with broadcast partners Channel Nine and Fox Sports having the final say over scheduling.

Several other issues are complicating matters, including which team plays Parramatta in Darwin, while some clubs are unhappy with the opponents they have drawn for games they are taking away from their home grounds to interstate venues.

Each time the NRL accedes to a request and tries to accommodate it in the draw, it then has to go back to either Nine or Fox to receive approval.

The NRL is still hoping the problems can be resolved in time to announce the draw tomorrow but that is unlikely considering it still needs to organise a telephone hook-up with the clubs to confirm they are all satisfied.

Even if the draw is held over until next week, the NRL is still ahead of last year when the draw was not released until December 15.

“We have been talking directly with clubs to finalise their specific venue and stadia allocations,’’ a NRL spokesman said yesterday.

“All clubs will be provided with their full home-and-away allocations prior to public release. The schedule is currently being finalised and we still have a few moving parts that we need to land.’’

In other news, a host of Canberra officials including coach Ricky Stuart and chief executive Don Furner will today depart for a fact-finding mission to the United States, which will include a tour of Jarryd Hayne’s new NFL base, the San Francisco 49ers.

It is believed it is the first time the Raiders have embarked on a mission to the US since former coach Tim Sheens went in the early 1990s.

Sheens brought back many ideas including training at a different ground and to treat Canberra Stadium as sacrosanct — a concept many clubs still use today. It is uncertain whether Stuart — who coached Hayne at Parramatta as well as with the NSW State of Origin and Australian teams — will be able to catch up with Hayne after he was dumped to the 49ers’ practice squad.

The Raiders also plan to visit two other NFL franchises, a Major League Soccer club and two universities.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...623124371?sv=a0ddb38879d829b95fc6fd881287a630

Valheru

Coach
This is exactly what is happening. Clubs and the NRL are releasing 'select' dates. No way these dates have been fixed without picking all the other games as well.
At work people in the lunch room have been talking everyday about the latest dates. Release them all in one go and it is forgotten about from the following day until March.

You actually believe this is a plan by the NRL? Let me tell you it's not, they are just inept.

I don't care what the issues are, from 5 day turn arounds to travel, it is not unique to the NRL. Every other major sport competition in the world can announce a release date well in advance.

The NRzl are just amateurs.

big hit!

Bench
I am waiting for the draw before buying a membership

I'm already pissed off that we only get 10 home games and the Gosford one isn't included in the membership price

On top of that, I have real problems getting to Saturday and Sunday afternoon games because of family commitments. Plus I also flat out refuse to attend a Monday or Thursday fixture as I don't agree with midweek scheduling and I won't support it

I prefer Friday and Saturday night games over any other time slots
I can deal with two or three Saturday or Sunday arvo games over the season, but last year they were the bulk of our pre round 20 games. If we get the same I will have to decide if I only buy a 4 game pass instead of a fully ticketed one.

that's a real shame because I reckon that the NRL needs to go back to having a schedule predominantly made up of day (preferably sunday) games, or more than there are now. make Sunday 'football' day and certainty will help drive crowd numbers IMO. there are jujst too many time slots and opportunities for fans to op out of attending games, especially having a schedule made of predominantly of night games and scheduling weeknight games in winter.

1 x fri 2000
1 x sat 1715
2 x sat 1900
1 x sun 1245
2 x sun 1430
1 x sun 1615

Diesel

Referee
Would the networks be willing to pay more for games played at the same time? Probably not. If 9 can get back to back arvo games on Sunday that will help to get a wider audience. NRL really needs to utilise the time zone difference of WA & NZ where you can potentially have 3 Sunday afternoon games live. Alternate a 2pm kick off in NZ and a 4pm kick off in WA to compliment the 2 & 4pm KO on the east coast and also keep the 3 (or 3:30) KO on Saturday

Lambretta

First Grade
that's a real shame because I reckon that the NRL needs to go back to having a schedule predominantly made up of day (preferably sunday) games, or more than there are now. make Sunday 'football' day and certainty will help drive crowd numbers IMO. there are jujst too many time slots and opportunities for fans to op out of attending games, especially having a schedule made of predominantly of night games and scheduling weeknight games in winter.

1 x fri 2000
1 x sat 1715
2 x sat 1900
1 x sun 1245
2 x sun 1430
1 x sun 1615

I have a family and my wife and my daughters are just not interested in Rugby League on any level whatsoever, therefore my Rugby League watching consists of my boys nights out with my oldest mates

This is now the only time I see them to be honest

Therefore I prefer to go to games on a Friday or Saturday evening / night as it has the least impact on my family life and it's the best time to have a few beers and a catch up

With scheduling the 5.30 Saturday slot (which is my favourite time slot as you can have a beer after the game and still get home before 1am) is reserved for games that rate the lowest - generally teams that are battling for the wooden spoon. As a Roosters fan, we haven't had many of those in the past three years.

So day games don't suit everyone. In fact when we did have predominantly day games the crowds were much lower and TV didn't rate as a factor at all.

The great thing about day games is there are fewer of them, so when your team does get one the fans come out en-masse.

Sydney siders are whores for "special events". They will only get off their self important arses to attend if it's not run of the mill. Look at Anzac Day for example. Would the Roosters v St George get that crowd on any other day of the year?

Day games rate better because they are rare. Give teams them every week and the crowds will be worse than night games and no one will be watching on TV either.

My preferred schedule would be

Friday 7.30pm x 2 (but broadcast the second game as if live without all the stoppages for adverts)
Saturday 5.30pm
Saturday 7.30pm x 2
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 4pm x 2

5 of the eight games are in evening slots - nothing goes past 9pm making it more family friendly and you get three Sunday afternoon games

With time zone differences, multiple channels and different teams in different states all games can be shown live in the markets that really matter

Incorrect

Coach
I have a family and my wife and my daughters are just not interested in Rugby League on any level whatsoever, therefore my Rugby League watching consists of my boys nights out with my oldest mates

This is now the only time I see them to be honest

Therefore I prefer to go to games on a Friday or Saturday evening / night as it has the least impact on my family life and it's the best time to have a few beers and a catch up

With scheduling the 5.30 Saturday slot (which is my favourite time slot as you can have a beer after the game and still get home before 1am) is reserved for games that rate the lowest - generally teams that are battling for the wooden spoon. As a Roosters fan, we haven't had many of those in the past three years.

So day games don't suit everyone. In fact when we did have predominantly day games the crowds were much lower and TV didn't rate as a factor at all.

The great thing about day games is there are fewer of them, so when your team does get one the fans come out en-masse.

Sydney siders are whores for "special events". They will only get off their self important arses to attend if it's not run of the mill. Look at Anzac Day for example. Would the Roosters v St George get that crowd on any other day of the year?

Day games rate better because they are rare. Give teams them every week and the crowds will be worse than night games and no one will be watching on TV either.

My preferred schedule would be

Friday 7.30pm x 2 (but broadcast the second game as if live without all the stoppages for adverts)
Saturday 5.30pm
Saturday 7.30pm x 2
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 4pm x 2

5 of the eight games are in evening slots - nothing goes past 9pm making it more family friendly and you get three Sunday afternoon games

With time zone differences, multiple channels and different teams in different states all games can be shown live in the markets that really matter

I like Saturday and Sunday arvo footy... what I don't like is teams getting a disproportionate amount of one or the other, or more MNF games than other teams etc Whilst the TV networks still have the say in the scheduling until 2018 there will likely be an imbalance on that front. And maybe it will still be the case when the NRL regain sceduling control, who knows...

For your case Lambretta, the Saturday 3pm is probably a good thing to keep in the schedule as that seems to be the slot given to what I think both 9 and Fox consider the least attractive ratings game like you have described the 5:30 game... Off the top of my head in 2015, the Eels, Titans, Raiders and Knights all featured heavily in the 3pm Saturday games... If that trend continues, which I'm guessing 9 and Fox hope it does, then the Saturday 5:30pm slot starts seeing some better games, maybe more Roosters games for you!

I like Thursday night footy and only 1 Friday night game... I like the Saturday triple header starting at 3pm. I don't like Monday night footy, so I would schedule 3 games on Sundays with either the first game at midday from NZ , then in to 2pm and finally 4pm, or if the 3 games are in NSW/QLD. 2pm in to 4pm and finally 6:30pm... crowds for the Sunday 6:30pm game would be patchy I reckon, but no worse than Monday night crowds...

EDIT - I should clarify by saying in the Eels case when they played their Saturday arvo games this year, they were against out of towners in the Titans and the Warriors at home and one against the Sharks in Round 25 which was scheduled at the end of Round 16 when both were going like busted's... They rate well on TV when playing other Sydney teams etc...

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Fox Sports News are saying 18 Thursday games for 2016 i.e. when there is a full round.

Maybe this is what has delayed the release of the draw... I'm guessing clubs scheduled for Thursday nights would be wanting to make sure they play no later than Saturday or even Friday, the previous round to avoid a short turnaround.... then again, you figure the brains at NRL HQ would have taken that into consideration long ago...

Lambretta

First Grade
Having Thursday and Monday games screws with the scheduling far too much and there are appalling crowds.

Having them creates too many issues we just don't need

All games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday please UNLESS you have a public holiday

Monday games are fine on public holidays providing they are day games
Thursday night games are fine if the following day is a public holiday (Easter)

Other than that - leave them the hell alone

Lambretta

First Grade
I like Saturday and Sunday arvo footy... what I don't like is teams getting a disproportionate amount of one or the other, or more MNF games than other teams etc Whilst the TV networks still have the say in the scheduling until 2018 there will likely be an imbalance on that front. And maybe it will still be the case when the NRL regain sceduling control, who knows...

For your case Lambretta, the Saturday 3pm is probably a good thing to keep in the schedule as that seems to be the slot given to what I think both 9 and Fox consider the least attractive ratings game like you have described the 5:30 game... Off the top of my head in 2015, the Eels, Titans, Raiders and Knights all featured heavily in the 3pm Saturday games... If that trend continues, which I'm guessing 9 and Fox hope it does, then the Saturday 5:30pm slot starts seeing some better games, maybe more Roosters games for you!

I like Thursday night footy and only 1 Friday night game... I like the Saturday triple header starting at 3pm. I don't like Monday night footy, so I would schedule 4 games on Sundays with either the first game at midday from NZ , then in to 2pm and finally 4pm, or if the 3 games are in NSW/QLD. 2pm in to 4pm and finally 6:30pm... crowds for the Sunday 6:30pm game would be patchy I reckon, but no worse than Monday night crowds...

EDIT - I should clarify by saying in the Eels case when they played their Saturday arvo games this year, they were against out of towners in the Titans and the Warriors at home and one against the Sharks in Round 25 which was scheduled at the end of Round 16 when both were going like busted's... They rate well on TV when playing other Sydney teams etc...

I agree on the disproportionate amount of games that one team gets on specific TV time slots

Friday Night Football should be a double header - but spread the love
Melbourne, Canberra, Penrith, New Zealand etc should get at least one home Friday Night game each season

You can still schedule Brisbane, Titans or the Cowboys on Friday nights out of town to keep the QLD TV crowd happy.

In fact having the Cowboys play away games on a Friday and making it the FNF game in venues such as Canberra etc would assist in cutting down on the number of FNF games given to Brisbane and fit in well with turn arounds for the Cowboys as for logistical reasons for their fans many travel great distances and they prefer home games on a Saturday. It also guarantees free to air exposure for clubs that don't usually receive it

Everyone's a winner

Pommy

Coach
Having Thursday and Monday games screws with the scheduling far too much and there are appalling crowds.

All games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday please UNLESS you have a public holiday

But TV pays the bills so thats never going to happen.

Timmah

Staff member

Never gonna happen. TV demands a 4-night schedule each round.

RE: your ideal schedule before I also can't agree. There is no ideal scenario that involves concurrent Friday night games where one is shown on delay. Not acceptable in the live sport era.