What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 T20 World Cup in India

TheParraboy

Staff member
Oman beat Ireland in a qualifier :oops:

Upcoming games

Tues March 15 - NZ v India
Thur March 16 - Poms v WI
Fri March 18 - NZ v Aust (8.30pm AEST)
Fri March 18 - Poms v South Africa

Sat March 19 - India v Pakistan

vvvrulz

Coach
International T20 imo is literally the only T20 worth watching.
I do wish they wouldn't call these 'world cups' though, it's a better quality circus but it's still a circus.

I mean results like the recent Oman one, Zimbabwe beating Australia, Netherlands beating England, West Indies actually winning the damn thing.... it's just the same old lottery.

Black Caps could be smokies for this one.
I might be physically ill if I have to endure India winning it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I do wish they wouldn't call these 'world cups' though.

Yeah - I don't like this either.

I am a big Kumar Sangakarra fan, both as a player and as a personality, and I was watching his documentary thing about the history of the T20 WC - and listening to him refer to it as World Cups (in a combined sense with the ODI World Cup) - I still disagreed intently. If he cannot sell it to me, I doubt anyone can.

Cricket already has a World Cup, every 4 years since 1975.

These things every two years, in a condensed format, it is a T20 World Championship, T20 ICC Championship, but it is not a Cricket World Cup.

Next thing teams will try and add their cups together across formats and talk about their combined number of World Cups won.

Last edited:
Yeah - I don't like this either.

I am a big Kumar Sangakarra fan, both as a player and as a personality, and I was watching his documentary thing about the history of the T20 WC - and listening to him refer to it as World Cups (in a combined sense with the ODI World Cup) - I still disagreed intently. If he cannot sell it to me, I doubt anyone can.

Cricket already has a World Cup, every 4 years since 1975.

These things every two years, in a condensed format, it is a T20 World Championship, T20 ICC Championship, but it is not a Cricket World Cup.

Next thing teams will try and add their cups together across formats and talk about their combined number of World Cups won.

I thought India had already, I was sure there were 3 stars under or over the BCCI crest on their ODI shirts - 2 ODI World Cups and 1 T20 World Cup.

vvvrulz

Coach
Indian fans love to point out their superiority over Australia by gloating about their T20 cup, which Oz hasn't won yet. Adds to the Dhoni love too despite him doing *nothing* in that 07 win.

They'll blunt all bowlers now by delivering abysmal batting wickets, so Rohit can go on about how he spanked the 'ordinary' Amir. Desperate for their party to be spoiled, even the Poms or Aussies can have it!

Hutty1986

Immortal
Haze with a hat-trick tonight. Windies need 27 from 21, this awful Tye nuffy getting destroyed as usual

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I thought India had already, I was sure there were 3 stars under or over the BCCI crest on their ODI shirts - 2 ODI World Cups and 1 T20 World Cup.

Well I am not surprised seeing some Indian fans also gave us the first to "100 international hundreds". I have no issue with India winning this current tournament. I really enjoy watching them bat. I even enjoy watching spinners like Yuvraj Singh bowl. I really enjoy watching him dominate in cricket. Some players, even if from neutral countries, people find themselves supporting. I definitely want Kohli to score big against Australia again in the next few weeks.

But I find putting India's 2007 T20 World Cup, or 2016 if they do so win again, just completely and utterly disrespectful to their miraculous 1983 World Cup winning effort against a West Indian team for the ages. It is also still nevertheless disrespectful to their 2011 home triumph and Yuvraj's efforts to send Tendulkar out (and possibly Dhoni too in retrospect in the future) with yet another tick against their careers.

Cricket fans around the world place the original Cricket World Cup (ODI) on a pedestal. Now I accept that nothing in cricket is bigger than an India and Pakistan series. It is the ultimate contest for fan passions to be raised and players to be under pressure. That is far more of a contest than any mere cricket game. It is an extension of politics and a long and recent history of war.

And I can also accept that the Ashes is a big deal for English and Australian cricket fans with many neutral fans taking more than a passing interest.

But for South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka: an authentic World Cup is the ultimate. Everyone wants to win test series away in India and Australia, but at the end of the day, the real World Cup is a huge event even for the test purists. Suddenly JAMODI is gone and it is the World Cup! All the best fit bowlers (and arguably Philander) bowling. All the top teams fighting for every edge of of maximum talent in their teams on the field. Nothing taken for granted.

But even if by some Martin Guptill, Colin Munro and Corey Anderson miracle, NZ wins this T20 tournament, there is no way that I would think that NZ has finally won a true and authentic Cricket World Cup. It is just too disrespectful to the longer format, held over more high quality matches (for the last 20+ years anyway - it was short in the 70's), over a longer period of every four years.

I have fervent interest in the 50 over World Cup. I rate it highly and I hope that NZ finally wins one in my lifetime. But a T20 WC win, would rate no higher or more special than NZ's Champions Trophy win. It'd be really good and enjoyable. But the hunger and desire to see NZ win a real World Cup would remain.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I couldnt care less about this hit and giggle shit, but our attack is oh so bad

Patto is not quite fit. Starc is out injured.

Hazelwood is ace. Watto will not surpise me if he comes trumps yet again.

The spinning options are not ideal, but Lyon was smashed by India repeatedly at home. So whatyagonna do? Boyce or Zampa; eitherway it was a gamble really.

Agar is a talented guy, but he to me is a much downgraded version of Maxwell as a cricketer at the moment. But in saying that, I really rate Maxwell. My favourite Australian, non-fast bowler, player to watch. (Hazelwood and Pattinson just blow me away for their test quality bowling - would love 'em to play for my team if you get my meaning - Starc's swinging yorkers are great in pyjama stuff too, no doubt - may even be better than Malinga's yorker bowling these days).

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I couldnt care less about this hit and giggle shit, but our attack is oh so bad

We had WI 6/72 off 12 overs.

I thought oh good 90 off 8 overs we will win this warm up match comfortably.

30mins later and we've lost. Our bowling attack must have imploded again:roll:

chigurh

I look forward to the Australian matches, and India vs Pakistan, and the finals, but just for the entertainment factor alone and with very little invested in the result.

Until a commentator mentioned it the other day I had completely forgotten Australia had made (and lost) a World T20 Final against England.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't think I could care less about this tournament if I tried.

Bazal

Post Whore
The associate games were cool, especially Afghanistan. I think my interest will wane now that they're pretty much all gone. Then again it's nice to have sport to watch during the week

TheParraboy

Staff member
India v Pakistan this Saturday is like Parramatta v Canterbury in the NRL this Friday..

Pakistan Eels double for mine :cool:

Latest posts