What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Trials

Squad for first trial of 2016: A mix of old and new

1. Jordan Rankin
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Nathan Milone
4. Michael Chee Kam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Tim Grant
9. Robbie Farah
10. Dallas Graham
11. Josh Aloiai
12. Kyle Lovett
13. Jesse Parahi
14. Justin Hunt
15. Jacob Liddle
16. Watson Heleta
17. Rod Griffin
18. Lamar Liolevave
19. Manaia Cherrington
20. Jack Littlejohn
21. Billy McConnachie
22. JJ Felise

macnaz

Staff member
If we keep watching Milone and Lovett they just might become first graders lol fmd seriously i know it is a trial but what are they expecting to find out about them thats not already known :(

Last edited:

Tigerted

Juniors
Exactly what I was thinking macnaz.It beggars belief that Milone & those of his ilk r able to play in the top grade.It really exemplifies the fact that the talent pool is so thin in the NRL when the Milones of this world get to play NRL as he did for us in '15.

When u include the NRL players @ our club that r not involved in the trial it really reinforces what a substandard squad we have.

The fact that we bought a prop who was unwanted by his previous 2 employers & a hooker in the twilight of his career in a position where we r well served & hence he is surplus to our needs plus the blatant stupidity of releasing our most machismo forward from final yr of contract to go strengthen the precious scum @ brookvale strongly emphasises what a braindead regressive & degenerate club we are!

Another very long winter beckons @ concord !

macnaz

Staff member
Its Hard to look at it any differently Ted. Its a miracle any merkin bothers to support this club, its just f**king torture year in year out!

Tiger05

First Grade
I honestly think we can have a good year. That squad has a fair few players missing.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Simona, Teddy, Woods, Lawrence and Sue are all shoe ins for starting FG spots so thats 5 key players not named. I'm interested to see how Keen Cham and Parahi go.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I liked the comment someone made on the Nines thread about Lovett and Milone.

If they combined play more than 10 games this season we are bottom of the table for sure...

Fair dinkum, how can these plodders be in the coaches plans after last season?

On the positive side, hopefully Parahi can do something.

betcats

Referee
I grew up down the road from Jesse. He is a talented guy, a couple of unfortunate knee injuries when he was 20/21 really held back his rugby career. Im not sure how he will go on the field but personality wise he is a great guy to have at he club, a real cleanskin and and hard worker if he plays FG I think he will become a leader amongst your young playing group.

Anyway Im keen to see how he goes, I always thought he would make a better league player than union, his maori heritage led him to rugby though.

Last edited:
My thinking is, does Taylor have to give Milone and Lovett a go because they are contracted? Does he see 'something in them' ha ha I'm joking there.

It is a trial and he had to give guys a run even against a Storm team that you'd hardly recognise. I went through the team list to see where some of these guys have come from. I wonder how many will get a run in the 2nd trial?

1. Jordan Rankin
[FONT=&quot] Age 24[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17 NRL games, debut round 22 2008 for Titans (as a 16 year old)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]47 SL games[/FONT]

2. David Nofoaluma

3. Nathan Milone
[FONT=&quot]Age 21 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 NRL games, debut round 13 2015[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Captain of Tigers NYC team in 2014[/FONT]

4. Michael Chee Kam
[FONT=&quot]Age 23[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5 NRL games, debut round 26 2014 for Manly[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NYC Team of the Year as a 2nd rower in 2012[/FONT]

5. Josh Addo-Carr
Age 20
[FONT=&quot]Addo-Carr has been a standout performer for the Cronulla Sharks Holden Cup side over the past two seasons, scoring a total of 28 tries in 44 games.[/FONT]

6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Tim Grant
9. Robbie Farah

10. Dallas Graham
[FONT=&quot]Age 21[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dallas was unfortunate to miss the majority of the 2015 season after undergoing shoulder surgery early in the year. Prior to that, the Kapiti Bears junior was a standout performer during his two seasons in Holden Cup — winning the Player's Player Award during the 2014 season.[/FONT]

11. Josh Aloiai
[FONT=&quot] Age 20[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After two seasons with the Parramatta Eels in both Under 20's and NSW Cup.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The talented backrower, who celebrates his 20th birthday today, is renowned for his bruising defence and strong carries[/FONT]
12. Kyle Lovett

13. Jesse Parahi
[FONT=&quot]Age 26[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regarded as a powerful and aggressive ball carrier, Jesse has been a regular fixture on the HSBC Sevens World Series circuit since making his debut in London in 2010
[/FONT]
14. Justin Hunt
[FONT=&quot]Age 27[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21 NRL games, debut 2012 for Souths[/FONT]

15. Jacob Liddle
[FONT=&quot]Age 19[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jacob had a stellar 2015 season for Wests Tigers, making the number nine Under 20s jersey his own with numerous standout performances.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With a strong footballing brain, the Wyong Roos junior has the ability to catch opposition defenders out from dummy-half with his great speed and vision.[/FONT]

16. Watson Heleta
[FONT=&quot]Age 20[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Watson’s favoured position is left centre, possessing great footwork and the acceleration to match
[/FONT]
17. Rod Griffin
[FONT=&quot]Age 29[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In 2015, Griffin did a pre-season with the Brisbane Broncos,[1] but failed to gain a contract. On 27 September, he played in the Jets' 2015 Queensland Cup Grand Final win over the Townsville Blackhawks.[18][19] On 4 October, he played in the Jets' 2015 NRL State Championship win over the Newcastle Knights, scoring a try and setting up a try for winger Marmin Barba.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In 2006, he moved down to Sydney, New South Wales to play in the Wests Tigers' junior grade
[/FONT]
18. Lamar Liolevave
[FONT=&quot]1 NRL games, debut round 4 2015 against Canterbury[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In 2014 and 2015, Liolevave played for the Wests Tigers' NYC team.[6] He was named the Tigers' NYC Coach's Player of the Year in 2014. In 2015 Liolevave moved on to the Tigers' New South Wales Cup team[/FONT]

19. Manaia Cherrington

20. Jack Littlejohn
[FONT=&quot]Age 24[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 NRL games for Manly[/FONT]

21. Billy McConnachie
[FONT=&quot]Age 25[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They call the ferocious prop ‘Madness’ for good reason.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 25-year-old has knocked out five players during the past two seasons while carrying the football for the Ipswich Jets in the Intrust Super Cup. Defenders’ heads hit his barrel chest and they see stars.[/FONT]

22. JJ Felise
[FONT=&quot]Born in Logan, Queensland, the hard-working prop forward made his way to Wests Tiger through the Keebra Park development system and has certainly made his mark.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]JJ topped the metres gained statistic for Wests Tigers’ NYC side in 2015 [/FONT]

Vic Mackey

Referee
I grew up down the road from Jesse. He is a talented guy, a couple of unfortunate knee injuries when he was 20/21 really held back his rugby career. Im not sure how he will go on the field but personality wise he is a great guy to have at he club, a real cleanskin and and hard worker if he plays FG I think he will become a leader amongst your young playing group.

Anyway Im keen to see how he goes, I always thought he would make a better league player than union, his maori heritage led him to rugby though.

Very interested to see how he goes. I can't imagine he has come over here with the intentions of playing nsw cup. 7s rugby is a full time profession and in the year it goes to the Olympics it would have been a huge decision for him, as he would have been a walk up start to the squad.

Unlike our last 7s convert Jarrod Saffy (who ended up being a good first grader) Jesse has a league background so that puts him in good stead. Certainly has the build and speed to be a success.

Surprised to him at lock but it probably makes sense. I'd imagine he long term plan is to have him on the edge. Early on you could see smart halves picking him off pretty easily in defence. In 7s you play man on man defence, you don't have a half coming at you with options either side and a fullback wrapping round behind. In the middle he'll have less decisions to make.

Hope he gets a run against the Sharks next week.

betcats

Referee
Very interested to see how he goes. I can't imagine he has come over here with the intentions of playing nsw cup. 7s rugby is a full time profession and in the year it goes to the Olympics it would have been a huge decision for him, as he would have been a walk up start to the squad.

Unlike our last 7s convert Jarrod Saffy (who ended up being a good first grader) Jesse has a league background so that puts him in good stead. Certainly has the build and speed to be a success.

Surprised to him at lock but it probably makes sense. I'd imagine he long term plan is to have him on the edge. Early on you could see smart halves picking him off pretty easily in defence. In 7s you play man on man defence, you don't have a half coming at you with options either side and a fullback wrapping round behind. In the middle he'll have less decisions to make.

Hope he gets a run against the Sharks next week.

Yeah on the edge is where I'd imagine he would be most effective and yep he played plenty of league through highschool. Our school had a pretty good league team with 3 or 4 guys from my year who went on to play NYC with various clubs(none kicked on) and Jesse always looked a class above those guys. Anyway I will be looking forward to seeing him get a run. Edge backrow or even centre is probably his best spots but he is the type of guy that coaches would love and try to fit in the team anywhere due to his attitude and leadership.

Last edited:

Tigerted

Juniors
Old time tiger great work re the summaries of the new recruits/fringe players involved in this weeks trial.

Thanks tigerted, what I was looking for, for myself really, was to see where these guys have come from. They don't all hit 1st grade at 18 or 19 years of age and become super stars, they don't all make it in the 1st year out of NYC. The guys that we had in NSW Cup haven't gone to make 1st grade careers or the past 2 or 3 years and the club had be seen at giving the NYC guys who are now over age a run otherwise who'd want to hang around. And we all know we have issues with dollars so for those reasons, I'm happy that; Milone (yes truly), Graham, Liddle, Heleta, Liolevave[FONT=&quot] and [/FONT]Felise are getting a run in the trial - maybe we won't see any of them again but they had to be given a run in the trials.

Of the other signings, it's the same thing, some have had their chance elsewhere and haven't really kicked on, maybe they will only play NSW Cup, some have backed themselves and left their previous clubs to give it a go. I hope some of them give it a go and more and push the likes of Lovett, Sironen, Nofoaluma, Simona etc and show those guys that they have to perform or otherwise they will be playing in NSW Cup. Case in point, look what I found and pasted regarding:

Aloiai - [FONT=&quot] is renowned for his bruising defence and strong carries[/FONT]
Parahi - is regarded a[FONT=&quot]s a powerful and aggressive ball carrier, [/FONT]
McConnachie - [FONT=&quot]They call the ferocious prop ‘Madness’ for good reason.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Anyone ever heard Lovett, Siro or Lawrence [FONT=&quot]spoken of the same way?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Tigerted

Juniors
That's certainly something to be optimistic about.

We need 2 to 3 of these new recruits to make a swift & successful transition to the NRL & the outcome will be huge for us.Fingers crossed !