What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
This article comes up every year. It's like clockwork (like most RL articles tbh).

While I agree that ticket prices are generally too high for the demand we have - Why do these hypothetical families never consider cutting down on some of the costs?
Maybe the parents should forgo the couple of wines and beers each and pack some sandwiches. $220 gets down to $150 pretty easily lol.

The article is basically a free ad for Foxtel

That said - they should aim to price standard season NRL games close to other equivalent forms of entertainment and see if it has an effect on crowds.
2 hrs for a family at the cinema or bowling alley costs closer to $80 for family tickets than $120.
Piss off $60 premium tiered seating for regular season games, aside from reserved seats for season members.
Flog GA memberships for $100 for the season.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Slothfield on the case of cost of attending a game. You might pay $220 for a once a year event but not every other week. Price is certainly a factor in our low crowd numbers.

You wake up on a beautiful Sydney Sunday and decide to take the family to the football.
A family pass to Brookvale Oval sets you back $121.99. No seats and nothing undercover. Just entry.
Throw in petrol and parking. $40 worth of food. A couple of beers, two glasses of wine and some soft drink or water.
It becomes a $220 day. There goes the grocery money.
Unlike the old days we now have options. Channel Nine shows four free to air games.
Or for $70 a month you get 32 live NRL games every month on Fox Sports
That works out at $2.20 per game — for the whole family.
No parking, no petrol. A comfortable lounge. Cheaper beer. Better food. And you stay warm.
It’s making the choice easy.
The NRL used to have an advertising slogan: “It’s never the same unless you’re there at the game.”
Not anymore. Not when you’re sitting in a 75 per cent empty stadium.Not when a working class game is charging you $220 for a day out with the family.
It’s the real reason why crowds have dropped almost 10 per cent in the last five years.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/4ebcc53d87486114def1328ab8b96caa
While I agree prices are up, the lead image in his story was a disingenuous headline grab. Photo of an empty ANZ in 2017 put against a photo of a full SCG in 1968 to somehow tell us the olden days were better.

Problem being the average back then was a good 3,000 lower than it is today. Granted that's not good growth by any means, but false glorification of bygone eras is shitful in the least.

Timmah

Staff member
You would think the clubs are already planning for life after Grant and what that might look like though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This article comes up every year. It's like clockwork (like most RL articles tbh).

While I agree that ticket prices are generally too high for the demand we have - Why do these hypothetical families never consider cutting down on some of the costs?
Maybe the parents should forgo the couple of wines and beers each and pack some sandwiches. $220 gets down to $150 pretty easily lol.

The article is basically a free ad for Foxtel

That said - they should aim to price standard season NRL games close to other equivalent forms of entertainment and see if it has an effect on crowds.
2 hrs for a family at the cinema or bowling alley costs closer to $80 for family tickets than $120.
Piss off $60 premium tiered seating for regular season games, aside from reserved seats for season members.
Flog GA memberships for $100 for the season.

Event Cinemas do family tickets on weekends for $6 per person. Agreed re food and drink but kids like a little treat at the footy so I think you can add in around $20 for a drink and some chips as a standard expectation. $140 to stand on a grass hill is still way too much to expect families to pay on a regular basis.

Should be adults $25 Kids $5 at every game any seat except the real premium seats around the halfway line. Especially in stadiums with far more capacity than demand.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm interested in where the costings came from. Just looked up GA pricing for Saints v Titans on Saturday, standing on the hill at Kogarah and a family of four can get in for $50 (plus Ticketek's archaic handling fee).

As for "a family pass sets you back 121.99 at Brookvale", I just looked it up and a family pass ('just entry, no seats or Grandstand) comes in at $78.15 for their R26 home game v Penrith.

Why doesn't anybody check Rothfield's completely inaccurate rubbish before it gets printed?

Clifferd

Coach
Kids 16 and under free for regular season NRL games. Or if charged, no more than $10.

Adults $20-25

Family (2 kids 2 adults) $50

Don't think food and drink prices will change really so adjust to suit your circumstances. Bring your own god damn food/drink

Clifferd

Coach
I'm interested in where the costings came from. Just looked up GA pricing for Saints v Titans on Saturday, standing on the hill at Kogarah and a family of four can get in for $50 (plus Ticketek's archaic handling fee).

As for "a family pass sets you back 121.99 at Brookvale", I just looked it up and a family pass ('just entry, no seats or Grandstand) comes in at $78.15 for their R26 home game v Penrith.

Why doesn't anybody check Rothfield's completely inaccurate rubbish before it gets printed?

How he hasn't been sued for constantly bringing the game into disrepute is beyond me

Teddyboy

First Grade
While I agree prices are up, the lead image in his story was a disingenuous headline grab. Photo of an empty ANZ in 2017 put against a photo of a full SCG in 1968 to somehow tell us the olden days were better.

Problem being the average back then was a good 3,000 lower than it is today. Granted that's not good growth by any means, but false glorification of bygone eras is shitful in the least.
Olden days were good as you had big crowds for GB Lions alongside a healthy club competitions in Sydney, Newcastle, Illawarra and Brisbane.

Timmah

Staff member
Except the average was still lower than it was today - despite only 1-2 games a week on TV if that, and rarely if ever lilve

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I don't think the prices are too bad ..

Often family Tix are $50 that's pretty damn good

And with so many members who don't go to games it's not hard either to bludge a freebee ticket off someone either

Perth Red

Post Whore
Except the average was still lower than it was today - despite only 1-2 games a week on TV if that, and rarely if ever lilve

Avg in 1968 was 12,800 compared to around 14.5k for Sydney clubs now. What is the population difference of Sydney between 1968 and now? I suspect significantly more as a % than crowd growth. Add in size and state of grounds back in 1968 and its hard to say much has improved.

mave

Coach

You keep banging on about this rubbish article from yesterday comparing 1968 to now.

Does the comparison also allow for clubs like Newcastle, Broncos, Cowboys etc massively increasing average figures ?
Or was it a Sydney based comparison?

Latest posts