What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Brutus

Referee
If Parra happen to play the Sharks in week 2 of the finals at ANZ Stadium then the NRL must do everything in its power to ensure the stadium is comfortably more than half full.
Reach for the stars Toddy and co.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
15k is bad

You would have thought both teams could have generated 10k fans each

Plus 5k members and casuals

Mid 90's games always got high 20s low 30s

So many casual fans used to go.. Newcastle v norths got 34k .. norths home ground avergage was like 9k

Those days are over

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not the NRLs fault supposed fans can't be arsed showing up

it is when they put a final on in an area already over run with ALF fans
ANZ could have been used
the 5K Manly fans who would have stayed at home would have been replaced by 10K extra penrith fans

Cockosh

Juniors
Give me a break.

Yes the panthers eagles sharks have as shitter or worse fan base then u guys.

But if the tigers/bunnies/dragons came second and had a prelim at either add or anz against the broncos they would easily outdraw you guys crowd on Friday.
I never argued that we have more fans. Read it again. We played tigers in 2010 at Allianz in corresponding game. There was 33000 there.
Sharks played souffs in elimination final at Allianz in 2015 and 27000 showed up.
Saints played manly at kogarah in qualifying final and got 15000. Where all these extra fans you speak of. Our crowds are what they are. They aren't much worse than others as I said. By the way ilast night wasn't a prelim. Our last home prelim against knights in 2013 had 37000.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The moment you try to avoid a clash with afl in Sydney .. nrl might as well play in summer
rubbish
they do all they can to avoid games on at the same time all year
this was slightly different , but it may as well of been put on at the same time

sydney NRL fans don't need anymore excuses to sit on their fat lazy arses

papabear

Juniors
I never argued that we have more fans. Read it again. We played tigers in 2010 at Allianz in corresponding game. There was 33000 there.
Sharks played souffs in elimination final at Allianz in 2015 and 27000 showed up.
Saints played manly at kogarah in qualifying final and got 15000. Where all these extra fans you speak of. Our crowds are what they are. They aren't much worse than others as I said. By the way ilast night wasn't a prelim. Our last home prelim against knights in 2013 had 37000.
you argued that you are no worse then anyone bar eels and the dogs.

which isnt true, again if any of souths / tigers / saints were on the up playing 2v3 (broncos) IMO they would comfortably draw more even though the stadium they are playing in is easts home ground in the eastern suburbs, not a huge deal for these teams but certainly not as convenient as it is for easts.

2010 - wk 1 finals 3 tigers v easts 6 - at the SFS (easts home ground) 33,315
2011 - wk 1 finals 4 tigers v 5 saints - at the SFS (easts home ground) 45,631

See instead of just cherry picking , I have used corresponding matches both week 1... both against the same opposition, easts with the advantage at there home, but i suppose they did finish 6th instead of 5th.

I could do this all day with actual corresponding matches.

Last edited:

Cockosh

Juniors
you argued that you are no worse then anyone bar eels and the dogs.

which isnt true, again if any of souths / tigers / saints were on the up playing 2v3 (broncos) IMO they would comfortably draw more even though the stadium they are playing in is easts home ground in the eastern suburbs, not a huge deal for these teams but certainly not as convenient as it is for easts.

2010 - wk 1 finals 3 tigers v easts 6 - at the SFS (easts home ground) 33,315
2011 - wk 1 finals 4 tigers v 5 saints - at the SFS (easts home ground) 45,631

See instead of just cherry picking , I have used corresponding matches both week 1... both against the same opposition, easts with the advantage at there home, but i suppose they did finish 6th instead of 5th.

I could do this all day with actual corresponding matches.
I gave you corresponding matches which you chose to ignore. The first game you mention was tigers versus us. Two Sydney teams. By your own argument if tigers have more than us there should've been over 45000 considering we had at least 18000 easts fan last night. Same with your second example. Tigers vs saints. 45000. Split between 2 Sydney clubs thats 22000 each.
You are selective in your examples. You have no comment on sharks vs souffs elimination that got only 25000? You are comparing our crowd against an out of Sydney team against previous games with 2 Sydney clubs.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
rubbish
they do all they can to avoid games on at the same time all year
this was slightly different , but it may as well of been put on at the same time

sydney NRL fans don't need anymore excuses to sit on their fat lazy arses

Yeah I suppose gillon worried about nrl being next door when he scheduled swans final

papabear

Juniors
Cronulla v Souths 2015 is comparable really?

If anything that is comparable to tonites match also 6v7 whereby it drew 12k more.

For the record leading into that match souths had lost miserably there last three games.
30-0 v easts (I am sure you remember that one)
47 - 12 v broncs
32-18 v dogs

and as for splitting the 45k crowd fine, then split the crowd with game against easts keeping the same amount of tigers fans there for the easts game.

22.5k tigers fans
22.5 dragons fans
11,815 easts fans.

Imagine how shit it would be if easts were playing out of ANZ ...If you want more comparables I am happy to post them.

To be fair to easts, I think they actually show up in pretty good numbers considering the size of their fan base. It is just they dont have the same size of a fan base as the tigers/dragons/bunnies.

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
it is when they put a final on in an area already over run with ALF fans
ANZ could have been used
the 5K Manly fans who would have stayed at home would have been replaced by 10K extra penrith fans

It was a f**king Eagles home game.

Would you like the raiders to play week 1 in Sydney? Of course not.

Sometimes the game must be played where it suits the more deserving team.

Get over it!

M2D2

Bench
It was a f**king Eagles home game.

Would you like the raiders to play week 1 in Sydney? Of course not.

Sometimes the game must be played where it suits the more deserving team.

Get over it!
The thing about ANZ is, if they run the special event buses from the northern beaches, ANZ is easier to get to than SFS.
But the NRL wouldnt ask the government to do that, so SFS it is.

Cockosh

Juniors
Cronulla v Souths 2015 is comparable really?

If anything that is comparable to tonites match also 6v7 whereby it drew 12k more.

For the record leading into that match souths had lost miserably there last three games.
30-0 v easts (I am sure you remember that one)
47 - 12 v broncs
32-18 v dogs

and as for splitting the 45k crowd fine, then split the crowd with game against easts keeping the same amount of tigers fans there for the easts game.

22.5k tigers fans
22.5 dragons fans
11,815 easts fans.

Imgaine how shit it would be if easts were playing out of ANZ ...If you want more comparables I am happy to post them.
So do I use your logic and because we finished 6th in 2010 our crowd was smaller versus tigers. So you use low finishing position to justify poor souffs saints and tigers numbers but don't apply same to us.
IMO we have a base of about 20000 that may go to a game at some point (not regulars). We have about 12000 to 15000 regulars depending on how we are going. I don't see souffs or dragons being much higher than this and crowd figures over long periods reflect this. That was my original point.

Cockosh

Juniors
2013 souffs finished 2nd.

Week 1 they played 3rd placed Melbourne at ANZ. An interstate team

Crowd is 21609

It is the exact same situation and crowd as last night.

I could do this all night.

footy75

Bench
What I dont understand is why are the games are still shown on GEM into non traditional RL states.

Take last night for an example.
AFL had 2 Vic sides 95k at the MCG, but the game was a bit meh, a blow out by 50 points. I wouldn't call it a great game of AFL.

The NRL gets 21k but wow what a cracking game. End to end, came down to almost jimmy the jet scoring on the final play.

Say we are a neutral fan in Melbourne watching the AFL, the game isnt the best, why the hell is the NRL hiding on a secondary channel? People might flick over last night and see a great game and be like this NRL is pretty good. Then maybe today they flick on the TV to watch the Storm play.

Thats 1 way we grow the game.

yeah i agree 100 per cent. There was 95k watching geelong v richmond and it was rubbish
roosters broncos was fkn awesome. Thing is I have foxtel so the channel thing is no issue for me but you are spot on.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
This thread always goes into meltdown over week 1 crowds. They never measure up to the unrealistic expectations.

Bring on the next 2 weeks. There's going to be huge crowds in Sydney Brisbane and Melbourne for all the upcoming matches. Might shut a few people up.