What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

Tigers1986

Juniors
The NRL are so backwards when it comes to their season draw. Isn't 2017 the start of them dictating to 9/Fox the game schedule and not the other way around? If not, then bring on 2018.

Most grounds (minus AAMI, Suncorp & SFS) have no clashes with AFL or Super Rugby so confirming venues isn't that difficult. It shouldn't take almost 2 months after the grand final to get the next season's draw out when the chief rivals, AFL & Rugby Yawnion, have their version out within a much shorter timeframe. Crikey even the English system has their 3 divisions fixtures out.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The NRL are so backwards when it comes to their season draw. Isn't 2017 the start of them dictating to 9/Fox the game schedule and not the other way around? If not, then bring on 2018.

Most grounds (minus AAMI, Suncorp & SFS) have no clashes with AFL or Super Rugby so confirming venues isn't that difficult. It shouldn't take almost 2 months after the grand final to get the next season's draw out when the chief rivals, AFL & Rugby Yawnion, have their version out within a much shorter timeframe. Crikey even the English system has their 3 divisions fixtures out.

its 2018 for the NRL taking control of the draw
& im not sure if everyone quite understands what that means too

I think im right in saying
that , its not total control anyway , ie the 1 game on Thursday , 2 on Friday will remain including the 6pm kickoff
the only difference is the NRL has total control over which games will be played on these nights & the rest if the weekend, as opposed to the broadcasters.

Valheru

Coach
It'll be out when it's out. It's been out at the end of November the last few years (I think one year it fell into December?), and Greenberg has indicated this is the case again.

I see your quoting of my posts conveniently chopped out the part about getting it right and venue availability, because God forbid you acknowledge a valid point...

Don't give me that rubbish about venue availability. They start working on the draw in July, it can't be that hard to get it in by end of October.

Can we have a game early on against the Raiders next year.

We'd just like to give them a clap and we'll even let Ricky touch the trophy.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't give me that rubbish about venue availability. They start working on the draw in July, it can't be that hard to get it in by end of October.
Looks like you know everything. How have the NRL not hired you yet?

Valheru

Coach
Looks like you know everything. How have the NRL not hired you yet?

I've never said any such thing smart arse. Unlike you, I refuse to blindly accept and/or defend everything the NRL does.

As I said earlier, if the likes of the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, EPL, AFL, Super Rugby and the list goes on can have their fixtures released in a timely manner than I don't see why the NRL can't. Perhaps you are suggesting those competitions don't have venue availability concerns as well?

GongPanther

Referee
It'll be out when it's out. It's been out at the end of November the last few years (I think one year it fell into December?), and Greenberg has indicated this is the case again.

I see your quoting of my posts conveniently chopped out the part about getting it right and venue availability, because God forbid you acknowledge a valid point...

Apparently just before Christmas according to Phil Gould.

Tigers1986

Juniors
its 2018 for the NRL taking control of the draw
& im not sure if everyone quite understands what that means too

I think im right in saying
that , its not total control anyway , ie the 1 game on Thursday , 2 on Friday will remain including the 6pm kickoff
the only difference is the NRL has total control over which games will be played on these nights & the rest if the weekend, as opposed to the broadcasters.

What I meant was that the NRL can set a fixed schedule like the AFL does without having to worry about the networks bickering over their preferred games.

Timmah

Staff member
I've never said any such thing smart arse. Unlike you, I refuse to blindly accept and/or defend everything the NRL does.

As I said earlier, if the likes of the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, EPL, AFL, Super Rugby and the list goes on can have their fixtures released in a timely manner than I don't see why the NRL can't. Perhaps you are suggesting those competitions don't have venue availability concerns as well?
Comparing us to other spots isn't really that relevant IMO. Most of the ones you've quoted have a wide range of factors at play. Off the top of my head EPL only have three months off so they actually need a fixture done much quicker - and thats still usually a month after the final round. Super Rugby finishes earlier than the NRL and starts earlier, so their fixtures will be out earlier than the other codes.

Either way - the NRL kicks off in March, and a late November draw for next season still leaves over 3 months before the start of the season, that's not exactly 'short notice'.

Don't get me wrong - I think it should be earlier and hope that the new deal kicking in next year means we see it in late October or even earlier.
Apparently just before Christmas according to Phil Gould.
"We will get it before Christmas" is actually what he said. Tomorrow is before Christmas. Greenberg has said late November, which fits with last year's timing.

Valheru

Coach
Comparing us to other spots isn't really that relevant IMO. Most of the ones you've quoted have a wide range of factors at play. Off the top of my head EPL only have three months off so they actually need a fixture done much quicker - and thats still usually a month after the final round. Super Rugby finishes earlier than the NRL and starts earlier, so their fixtures will be out earlier than the other codes.

Either way - the NRL kicks off in March, and a late November draw for next season still leaves over 3 months before the start of the season, that's not exactly 'short notice'.

Don't get me wrong - I think it should be earlier and hope that the new deal kicking in next year means we see it in late October or even earlier.

"We will get it before Christmas" is actually what he said. Tomorrow is before Christmas. Greenberg has said late November, which fits with last year's timing.

Thank you, that is my exact point. We are arguing for no reason then.

Timmah

Staff member
Barba could be back as our player and playing by Round 10 and for half of what we were paying him.

That'll burn some people on here.

So don't all clap as one just yet.........
I doubt the NRL would register the contract, tbh.
Thank you, that is my exact point. We are arguing for no reason then.
Not really - I'm outlining some fairly practical (albeit frustrating) reasons why it might not be out yet.

When it's released, it'll be released and the world won't end.

Well, after yesterday... who knows.

THE Canterbury Bulldogs will launch the NRL’s newest timeslot when they run out for next season’s opening round at Belmore Sports Ground.

Des Hasler’s men will host the Melbourne Storm in the first 6pm Friday night football match of 2017.

The new timeslot, which replaces Monday night football, is part of the NRL’s $1.8 billion broadcast deal and presents a huge challenge to get fans from work and offices around the city to the venues in time for the kick-off.

The Bulldogs have chosen their traditional old home ground at Belmore, where they play two matches every season, instead of ANZ Stadium which will host the second Friday night game between South Sydney and the Wests Tigers.

The venues are just 10 kilometres apart yet on the Saturday there are no games in Sydney.

d45316d3d897be9a99fc5bdaf5773f63

The Canterbury Bulldogs will play the first game of the 2017 NRL season in a new 6pm Friday timeslot at Belmore Oval.
It couldn’t be a tougher test for Hasler in a year the coach needs a strong start to convince the Bulldogs to extend his contract.

The first round of the draw, which has been leaked to The Daily Telegraph, features a number of big games including North Queensland against Canberra in Townsville on Saturday night and the Manly Sea Eagles against old rivals Parramatta at Brookvale Oval on Sunday afternoon.

“It’s great to be at home on a Sunday afternoon,” coach Trent Barrett said.

“We only got one Sunday game last season despite it being our preferred choice.

“Against our old rivals Parramatta it should fill the place. Bring it on.”

The St George-Illawarra Dragons travel to Auckland to play the Warriors in a tough first-round assignment for coach Paul McGregor and his bid for early results.

The Sydney Roosters travel to the Gold Coast to play Jarryd Hayne’s Titans on the Saturday night, while the Panthers will host wooden-spooners Newcastle at Penrith in the final game of the round on Sunday at 6pm.

091ff23842d638ac530ca1b52063f1ef

The Bulldogs celebrate beating Melbourne at Belmore Oval.
As revealed in Monday’s The Daily Telegraph, premiers Cronulla will launch the season on Thursday night, March 2, at Southern Cross Group Stadium against the Brisbane Broncos.

Channel Nine has increased the number of Sharks’ free-to-air games next season as a result of their history making grand final victory and strong ratings last season.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan says it will be a great first-up test for the Sharks, who will go into the season without fullback Ben Barba after he left the club following a positive cocaine test.

“We expect, as premiers, we’ll be the team everyone wants to beat next year,” Flanagan said.

“We’ll in England for the World Club championship but we get home nine days before the Broncos game and we’ll be ready for them.

“It will be a great game and a great way to launch the season.”

The NRL will hold a public launch of the draw later this month with fans invited to attend.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/efcc755e746e14a8414f75eb36ee6527