What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - A - W1 - AUS 18-4 ENG @ Melbourne

Result: AUS v ENG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

TL-AUS18.png

1. Billy Slater 2. Dane Gagai 3. Will Chambers 4. Josh Dugan 5. Valentine Holmes
6. Michael Morgan 7. Cooper Cronk
8. Aaron Woods 9. Cameron Smith 10. David Klemmer
11. Boyd Cordner 12. Matt Gillett 13. Jake Trbojevic

Interchange: 14. Wade Graham 15. Jordan McLean 16. Josh McGuire 17. Tyson Frizell
18. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 19. Ben Hunt 20. Tom Trbojevic 21. Felise Kaufusi

TL-ENG18.png

1. Jonny Lomax 2. Jermaine McGillvary 3. Kallum Watkins 4. John Bateman 5. Ryan Hall
6. Gareth Widdop 7. Luke Gale
8. Chris Hill 9. Josh Hodgson 10. James Graham
11. Sam Burgess 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Sean O'loughlin

Interchange: 14. Alex Walmsley 15. Chris Heighington 16. Tom Burgess 17. James Roby
18. Ben Currie 19. Kevin Brown 20. Mark Percival 21. Scott Taylor

Match Officials
REFEREE: Matt Cecchin​
TOUCH JUDGES: Chris Butler, Chris Kendall
VIDEO REFEREE: Ben Thaler

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
The most important game etc etc etc etc.

Not posting the usual spiel, as we were in the exact same position for the '13 WC. An English victory would be monumental for the tournament.

If anything, I hope this is a good game of rugby league.

adamkungl

Immortal
Should be a cracker. Hopefully England turn up and stick to the Roos.

Australia are beatable - we know the forwards can go toe to toe and some of the players in the Roos backline are nothing special but can look like superstars thanks to Slater, Cronk and Smith.

As usual it will come down to concentration in key moments and maintaining intensity over 80. If England get out to a lead they can't switch off or they will throw it away.

RockWheel

Bench
england winning would be terrific for the tournament and international footy, but i'll be in the cold ground before the idea of england beating australia doesn't make me physically sick.

Burns

First Grade
Please don't be a repeat of 2008. Please don't be a repeat of 2008. Please don't be a repeat of 2008.

Valheru

Coach
Ah the old "England to win for the good of the tournament" game.

I think it will be competitive for the first 20 but would be surprised if Australia won by anything less than 20. Having said that, I expect England to be a lot better come knock out stages.

adamkungl

Immortal
FWIW
Last 3 matches
Aus 36-18 in London (2016 4N)
Aus 16-12 in Melbourne (2014 4N)
Aus 28-20 in Cardiff (2013 RLWC)

(Side note, how disgraceful that they've only played twice since the last WC! Should be home and away every year)

grouch

First Grade
Is there any protocol on the naming of 1-17 for the matches of this tournament? Any idea when we can we expect them?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Interesting to see who Mal picks in the forwards. I can probably see Graham and Kaufusi come off the bench. Mansour on the wing given his experience.

Its gonna be a good game, the build up to this game has been good but Id like to see a bit more hate rather than friendly talks between the coaches and captains, although I don't think there would've been much said between Mal and Wayne.

roughyedspud

Coach
Anyone know what the press coverage in Melbourne has been like?? When I was there in 2008 it was truly shocking..I read the age every morning over breakfast in the lead up to the game and there was nothing all week,the day before the game it got a couple of paragraphs hidden away and on the day of the game,after several pages of horse racing,couple of pages of AFL,couple of cricket pages we had a half page write up,if that, of Australia v england in the RLWC....

Hope it's better this time?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Press coverage not really anything special - but seeing plenty of above-the-line marketing (ads in bus stops, on billboards, radio etc)

roughyedspud

Coach
I see the Sydney/Brisbane press are hyping up the potential for biff on Friday..I hope so..I also hope it goes off in the first 5mins and not the last 5min..

Clifferd

Coach
I reckon it'll be close for 60 mins or so then Australia blow it out to win 26-12 or something