What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - B - W3 - NZL 22-28 TON @ Hamilton

Result: NZL v TON

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I will on Taumalolo. As far as the Kiwis go, for me personally he's done. So are the other defectors. But that's my opinion and I appreciate others have a different opinion.

Kidwell, no question. He's not up to it.

I don't like labelling these guys as 'defectors' just 'cos they would be first choice NZ selections still at this stage in their career.

World Cup rules are clear. I'm all for these guys to play in a different World Cup team if they choose. Its a good rule and makes for a competitive cup which Rugby League needs to help compete with Union and rub salt in ARL.

Raiderdave

First Grade
well the RLIF didnt want an Australian v NZ, England v Tonga semi final.
ahhhh

why exactly ?
Id think thats exactly what they wanted
they'd never of thought they'd get it , but now they do

Mt Smart will sellout regardless with 30K there & have an atmosphere unrivalled even with no NZ side playing
It will be a sea of red.

Suncorp could push 40K
with the final a week early ... well sorta lol

this is just what this tournament needed

parrawentyfan

Juniors
What I hope...

The passion and feeling from that game results in all the players making a pact. Tonga for life regardless of who else comes looking.

Doubt it will happen and the Origin beast will rear it's head but hope they can keep the core of the side.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I thought he wasn’t anywhere near that bad.
You are right though Hingano was good. Is he signed long term with you guys??

TBD

At the moment he's signed long term but if Pearce goes to Manly then Green will come to us and Hingano will probably ask for a release.

Yes, Warriors are that stupid.

Rory

Juniors
ahhhh

why exactly ?
Id think thats exactly what they wanted
they'd never of thought they'd get it , but now they do

Mt Smart will sellout regardless with 30K there & have an atmosphere unrivalled even with no NZ side playing
It will be a sea of red.

Suncorp could push 40K
with the final a week early ... well sorta lol

this is just what this tournament needed

100% agree, but i reckon they want the same thing every world cup, because its been the same sort of pools since 95. AUS and ENG in A, NZ in B. And because they usually dominate (not anymore fk yes!) its set up all the same

Iafeta

Referee
I don't like labelling these guys as 'defectors' just 'cos they would be first choice NZ selections still at this stage in their career.

If it was their first choice they'd be playing for NZ. If it was their first choice they'd respect the NZRL greater than they have to discuss their move far earlier than they did. I think what they did was disrespectful to the jumper. Yes I know I'm old school in those values and they were doing what the rules allowed, but to me it's nothing to do with what happened but how it happened. If I'm a Kiwis player, I don't want them back... I'll back the blokes who came in at the last second and have IMO done a great job. It's the older blokes who fell apart today.

That's just my view. I find it ironic the hero worshipping they're receiving simply because of how they went about things.

Iafeta

Referee
TBD

At the moment he's signed long term but if Pearce goes to Manly then Green will come to us and Hingano will probably ask for a release.

Atas a good footballer. Like Lolohea, he just needs time and backing in first grade . The Warriors though are very short term focused to their extreme detriment.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
If it was their first choice they'd be playing for NZ. If it was their first choice they'd respect the NZRL greater than they have to discuss their move far earlier than they did. I think what they did was disrespectful to the jumper. Yes I know I'm old school in those values and they were doing what the rules allowed, but to me it's nothing to do with what happened but how it happened. If I'm a Kiwis player, I don't want them back... I'll back the blokes who came in at the last second and have IMO done a great job. It's the older blokes who fell apart today.

That's just my view. I find it ironic the hero worshipping they're receiving simply because of how they went about things.

You misinterpreted my post. Or I yours.

By first choice I meant NZRL selectors first choice of player selections. The 'defectors' as you call them rejected the NZRL and chose another RLWC country as the rules permit. These rules are in place to benefit NZ, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji all. No point crying foul when NZ does not benefit from these rules when NZ does every year at least inbetween World Cups.

But either way JT has played RLWC for Tonga before, not NZ. Not much of a 'defection'.

NZ has a long history of selecting All Sorts - why assume these mixed selections will always choose NZ - for the money? Some of these guys have enough money.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
TBD

Mate, we had Josh McCrone as our first choice 7 for the whole year. We’re up there in the stupid stakes.
Hopefully you get Green. He would be a good foil to SJ.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mate, we had Josh McCrone as our first choice 7 for the whole year. We’re up there in the stupid stakes.
Hopefully you get Green. He would be a good foil to SJ.

Wash your mouth out. With the Warriors sucking McCrone was my greatest source of entertainment.

Wouldn't take Green at the expense of Ata though. I think the foil for SJ thing has been a little played out. Townsend, Leuluai, Foran were all foils for SJ.

At some point SJ has to perform regardless of who is on the other side of the field.

Of course, not playing the stupid split halves tactic would help too.

parraeel

Juniors

What a whinger, they choose nationalities PRIOR to team selection and PRIOR to date to required to decide . when aus and kiwis pull players from tier 2nations after selections have been done it’s ok apparently .

Also nothing wrong with texting , MAYBE he didn’t want to have to have a phone convo justifying his ACCEPTABLE decision to represent the nation he wants to .OR maybe he isn’t the type of person who likes or able to make confrontational phone calls OR even maybe he didn’t want the coach to try change his mind

Another thing nothing stopping Kidwell to call him straight after receiving text. Is he a child that needs to complain he didn’t get a call but was too precious to make his own phone call .

I hate it how clubs and national bodies use and abuse players to how it suits them , but when a players does the same thing they are mugs and a**holes.

Life's Good

Coach
Wash your mouth out. With the Warriors sucking McCrone was my greatest source of entertainment.

Wouldn't take Green at the expense of Ata though. I think the foil for SJ thing has been a little played out. Townsend, Leuluai, Foran were all foils for SJ.

At some point SJ has to perform regardless of who is on the other side of the field.

Of course, not playing the stupid split halves tactic would help too.

McCrone gave us plenty of entertainment too, it just wasn’t enjoyable.

I see your point about split halves/SJ owning HB. My thoughts are he does need a foil but you guys haven’t found the right one.
Hingano is still a bit raw(plenty of talent)so Green might be the one to fill the gap. Problem is, as you say, Hingano would probably fly.
And this is the reason I love this game but I also hate this game!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
On the flip side if Hingano does pack a sad because we sign Green I wouldn't be slitting my wrists if we let him go.

He was eligible for NYC this year. Like Lolohea the Warriors can't afford entitlement to dictate their side if they want to climb out the hole they're in.

Life's Good

Coach
On the flip side if Hingano does pack a sad because we sign Green I wouldn't be slitting my wrists if we let him go.

He was eligible for NYC this year. Like Lolohea the Warriors can't afford entitlement to dictate their side if they want to climb out the hole they're in.
Which is the attitude of the Tigers & what the Titans need.
Team first.

King hit

Coach
Congrats Tonga this will give League in the pacific a massive boost. Tonga beating NZ was unthinkable a decade ago. Proof the game is growing.

Iafeta

Referee
What a whinger, they choose nationalities PRIOR to team selection and PRIOR to date to required to decide . when aus and kiwis pull players from tier 2nations after selections have been done it’s ok apparently .

Also nothing wrong with texting , MAYBE he didn’t want to have to have a phone convo justifying his ACCEPTABLE decision to represent the nation he wants to .OR maybe he isn’t the type of person who likes or able to make confrontational phone calls OR even maybe he didn’t want the coach to try change his mind

Another thing nothing stopping Kidwell to call him straight after receiving text. Is he a child that needs to complain he didn’t get a call but was too precious to make his own phone call .

I hate it how clubs and national bodies use and abuse players to how it suits them , but when a players does the same thing they are mugs and a**holes.

Kidwell has tried calling. So I'm not sure what you are on about there.

I understand he may not be the confrontational type. He doesn't need to be. He has a manager to do that.

I didn't expect him to justify his decision. But I do expect him to advise his decision not as the selectors are about to name the squad. I think that's perfectly fair and reasonable.

If I'm a whinger for sticking up for my country when it's been disrespected, then that's your prerogative. I won't change my views though.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Ifaeta' today was RL's Samoa beating Wales moment. And just as the All Blacks then got Bunce and Bachop after the 1991 World Cup, if the Kiwi's play their cards right, next year they could get Taumalolo.

What's novel is players rejecting probable NZ selections, when NZ selectors have rejected plenty of players in the past, often for players with even less claims to NZ selection.

Dual eligibility makes for a stronger and better RLWC.

Latest posts