What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Broncos NRL Matches Discussion

Nerd

Bench
Melbourne were too good tonight but it looks like it's going to be a long season. Last week we made minimal unforced errors and knocked off an unbeaten side. Tonight we were back to our bumbling fumbling side of the previous weeks. If it was any other coach but Bennett surely Darius Boyd would be back in the Intrust Cup. Considering the amount of passengers we're carrying at the moment (Thaiday, Boyd, Sims) it's surprising we have won as many games as we have. McCullough being out will hurt us bad. The amount of tackling he does in the middle is unbelievable. Hopefully McGuire gets the gig till McCullough is back.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Sims & Oates need a spell in reserve grade

Oates was far and beyond our best player just last week. Yeah he did some dumb shit tonight but he also did some good stuff, and consistently makes metres better than the rest of our forward pack. Since the start of 2016, he has probably been our best player on average.

Sims needs more than a stint in reserve grade, he needs to spend the rest of his career there. We would honestly lose nothing by throwing one of talented rookies in there. I hope we don't lose any of them holding on to Sims.

Boyd is such a concern. He just doesn't add any spark at all. Plus he seems to be making a bunch of errors so we can't even say he is "safe" anymore. Why did he let the ref talk to Smith for over 1 minute before asking for the clock to be stopped?

On the plus side, Milford's kicking game seems to be improving. That 40/20 he kicked was MASSIVE. He has also been putting in some good short kicks lately.

gUt

Coach
I thought the Milf was pretty good, that lapse in D though...

As for Oates, I didn't see last week's game but last night he just looked timid and bored.

DeeJ

Bench
Get the Ipswich Jets fullback to replace Boyd.

Is he young and fast? We'd be better off just sticking in a Dylan Edwards, Matt Dufty or if the gods smiley kindly, Kaylyn Ponga type at the back. We have no formal attack structure so let's put a fullback who is faster than everyone and will chase and follow up everything.

I used to see Boyd's value and though he could have been the best fullback in the world but he is shite now. Not only is he offering nothing, he is become a liability. Two really stupid plays/decisions on the weekend.

I must say though Milford is looking alot more like a halfback. His kicking has improved alot and he is taking more control every game.

MILEY CYRUS

Juniors
Is he young and fast? We'd be better off just sticking in a Dylan Edwards, Matt Dufty or if the gods smiley kindly, Kaylyn Ponga type at the back. We have no formal attack structure so let's put a fullback who is faster than everyone and will chase and follow up everything.

Yes he is. Michael Purcell 'the kangaroo catcher'.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yes he is. Michael Purcell 'the kangaroo catcher'.

Definitely heaps of talent and speed.

Would just be worried he would get rag-dolled at NRL. He could beef up a bit but then he might lose some speed/agility that makes him such a weapon.

I watch all the highlights of the ISC games on the qrl website every week. To be honest for many of the tries the defence is very very ordinary, I doubt many of them would get scored in the NRL.

I think you really need to stand-out like a sore thumb (in a good way) in the ISC to be confident you can make it in the NRL.

Bronco18

Juniors
Anyone else sick of reading articles like this:

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/04/24/big-boys-must-do-the-job/

I mean, I know that is what they have to say, it's just so annoying not to see them back it up on the field over and over again.

Have our forwards been that bad? I think the forwards just trot that cliche out to take pressure off Milf and Nikorima.

TBH I think it’s a lack of composure and direction that’s been killing us, our attack looks very disjointed.

gUt

Coach
Is it a coincidence that it's only Lodge and Pangai that seem to match it with opposition packs? i.e. we still lack size. We have some good, solid tackling machines and a couple who can run a good edge line but for years now our packs have generally struggled to win the forward battle. Put McCullough in the Cowboys pack and see how their 2018 would be going.

Bronco18

Juniors
While our pack is certainly not amongst the competitions’ best, I don’t see that as the main fault in our teams performances (except maybe round 1).

The team had enough possession on Melbourne’s, the Cowboy’s and Newcastle’s goal line to blow them away but we’re rudderless in attack. Reminds me of the Panthers last year where no one takes charge inside the opposition 20.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
While our pack is certainly not amongst the competitions’ best, I don’t see that as the main fault in our teams performances (except maybe round 1).

The team had enough possession on Melbourne’s, the Cowboy’s and Newcastle’s goal line to blow them away but we’re rudderless in attack. Reminds me of the Panthers last year where no one takes charge inside the opposition 20.

That's true. We look mostly clueless when we are attacking in the oppositions 20m.

A really good 2nd half got us out of jail tonight. We still struggled to close out the game, but at least we won.

The first half was terrible, with the forwards again being beaten and looking very disjointed in attack. I was saying that at half time that TPJ had been a bit quiet recently, but then he came out and smashed it in the 2nd half. I think Oates was robbed of MoM though, he was outstanding. Haas looked really good in the limited minutes. Got heavily involved in defense and took some strong carries. Hope he gets more game time.

What is the extent of McGuire's injury? We aren't having much luck in that department.

isaiah

Bench
That's true. We look mostly clueless when we are attacking in the oppositions 20m.

A really good 2nd half got us out of jail tonight. We still struggled to close out the game, but at least we won.

The first half was terrible, with the forwards again being beaten and looking very disjointed in attack. I was saying that at half time that TPJ had been a bit quiet recently, but then he came out and smashed it in the 2nd half. I think Oates was robbed of MoM though, he was outstanding. Haas looked really good in the limited minutes. Got heavily involved in defense and took some strong carries. Hope he gets more game time.

What is the extent of McGuire's injury? We aren't having much luck in that department.
Haas got the hook after being penalised for being a third marker. Hope the coach doesnt limit his minutes like he has with so many young players over the years who make rookie mistakes. Griffin does it too, we would have seen kikau much more last year if the coach wasnt an idiot

renouf

Juniors
Oates is a machine, just every time he jumps for a highball I cringe. That was pretty impressive given Souths are a form team. Don't think commentators gave us enough credit for winning that one. We're 2/3 against the form sides so not bad.

King hit

Coach
Oates is a machine, just every time he jumps for a highball I cringe. That was pretty impressive given Souths are a form team. Don't think commentators gave us enough credit for winning that one. We're 2/3 against the form sides so not bad.

That's always my problem with him is. He is a white man Vatuvei. He is a very good player but his mistakes under the high ball hold him back.

Fangs

Coach
Payne Haas a Qlder?

Born in Newy but grew up and went to school on the Gold Coast according to Wikipedia. Just wondering about eligibility.

Has got a big career ahead of him.

Nerd

Bench
Lucky to get home tonight. The isaako call was wrong and was a knock on every day of the week. If Darius Boyd wasn't the captain would he still be in the side? He did some good things chiming into the backline in attack but had a shocker with the bouncing ball. Not only does he never threaten the line when returning kicks he's made that many mistakes lately that his afraid to attack the ball on the ground. Boyd is a perfect example of a guy who needs a few weeks in the Intrust cup to sort himself out. On a positive note Su'a is looking better every week. Surely we have some other young forwards coming through that can push Thaiday out of the team?

gUt

Coach
Payne Haas a Qlder?

Born in Newy but grew up and went to school on the Gold Coast according to Wikipedia. Just wondering about eligibility.

Has got a big career ahead of him.
declared for NSW I believe

renouf

Juniors
Attack went backwards last night, seems as though they don't turn up to play on a Thursday night at home?
McC seems too slow out of dummy half, we were better with Nikorima there last week.

Latest posts