What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Man, you're exhausting!

For a layman I just really know my shit when it comes to these subjects, I'd want to as well as it was a big part of what I studied at school, though I'm by no measure an expert.

I was under a similar impression as @Zerô that the viking identity had something to do with Woden and maybe a local rugby club (not a local so I don't know).

I could give you the history lesson if you want.

I always thought the Raiders referred to “raiding” Sydney of their NSWRL premierships. And that the LA Raiders (later Oakland, soon to be Las Vegas) were inspiration, similar to Denver Broncos and Dallas Cowboys.

Yeah that's half the story.

To give you the short version the Raiders developed out of the Queanbeyan Blues (to this day they effectively are just an extension of the Blues), initially they planned for the club to be called the Canberra Blues (which BTW would have killed support for the club in Canberra before it had even got off the ground), but for obvious reasons at the time the NSWRL wouldn't allow them to participate as part of the comp with the blues name and what was effectively a Cronulla jersey and colours, so they had to come up with a new brand for the NSWRL team, some marketing guy (or whoever) came up with the Raiders, cause they were going to raid Sydney of all their trophies as you say, and Les McIntyre and Don Furner Sr. (I assume) liked it so they went with it.

The viking thing just developed naturally from the logo looking like a "viking" and people (particularly commentators) referring to it as such, I don't think it was intended to be a viking when it was first designed and announced, and it definitely wasn't referred to as such (at least by the club) in the beginning, I remember for a little while right at the beginning of the club some of the fans (at least the ones I hung around with and knew) used to call him Asterix.

kdalymc

Bench
Yeah strange that NRL have actually promoted (on the Facebook at least) this Retro Round crap and apart from some fancy borders for their photos it has meant absolutely f**k all.
RIP heritage week, it could have been something beautiful but when clubs wanna wear their special jerseys every second week it just dilutes the idea, and now heritage week is no more...

Saint Doc

Coach
I find the demise of heritage round to be curious as it used to be one of the main fundraisers for Men Of League.

I bet the suits listened to our feedback that there were too many themed rounds/jerseys and thought... well we HAVE to keep Marvel Round, we HAVE to keep indigenous round, so let’s scrap heritage round.

Jerks

thorson1987

Coach
I find the demise of heritage round to be curious as it used to be one of the main fundraisers for Men Of League.

I bet the suits listened to our feedback that there were too many themed rounds/jerseys and thought... well we HAVE to keep Marvel Round, we HAVE to keep indigenous round, so let’s scrap heritage round.

Jerks

Is there even a Marvel Round this year?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dragons WNRL kit:

DjfLhlzUUAE2Dwn.jpg:large

St George extend sponsorship to the Women's team: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...tend-major-partnership-to-womens-premiership/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts