What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAZF

First Grade
Yep, and there has been a noticable decline in the quality of club names ever since. The f*cking Americanized trend is just sickening...

I know clubs will never go back to the old "__RLFC" and just leave the mascot to fan consensus, but i think this is a reasonable middle ground between the marketing gurus and the organic fan culture.

IMO it would be particularly important for the post-80s era with the jarringly bland American names and the dumb cartoon logos...
The RL community can't come to a consensus on anything.

Nuke

Staff member
I would love to -one day (hopefully soon!)- see the clubs go back to being referred to 'Newcastle', 'Brisbane', 'St.George-Illawarra', ect, as opposed to 'Tigers', 'Roosters', 'Cowboys', ect. Mascot names are generic and could be any place in any sport anywhere in the world (particularly with the americanised names such as Broncos, Cowboys, ect). Players these days play for franchises and have little to no passion for playing for places / regions. I'm from Newcastle, so I'll use them as my example here. Growing up, the players who played in the red and blue played for Newcastle. They were passionate about representing the city and the greater Hunter Valley region. I would like to think players represented their areas / cities when playing for the different clubs too.

These days, clubs are known moreso for their emblem and, to me anyway, this makes it seem too devoid of passion.

To help aid this cause of mine to bring back the place names into more prominence, I'd like to see the logos somehow highlight who the club represents. Have the name 'Sydney' stand out more than 'Roosters', 'Canberra' more prominent than 'Raiders', ect. St.George-Illawarra and South Sydney already do this as their logos don't even contain their mascot's name in it (excluding the fact that Souths have included the word 'Rabbitohs' underneath it in recent years).

The logo will contain an image that shows what the mascot is, so you don't also need it written there for each and every logo. Not so big and in-your-face anyway. Manly and Parramatta also are on the right track where the naming of the mascot is the same size as the place name, but at the bottom so that the first thing you read is who the team is representing.

I'm going on and on here, so I apologise, but I would like to think you know what I mean and that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Attached are very quick (ie: rough!) visuals to show what I'm trying to suggest.

Attachments

• NRL alt logos.jpg
    NRL alt logos.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 95

_Johnsy

Referee
Nightingale started the fight in 2008 when he headbutted Slater and got off scot free...
After 2 Storm players held Nightingale and Slater threw a few shots while Nightingales arms were held.

The only thing stopping Nighty being made an Immortal was not knocking Slater out.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I would love to -one day (hopefully soon!)- see the clubs go back to being referred to 'Newcastle', 'Brisbane', 'St.George-Illawarra', ect, as opposed to 'Tigers', 'Roosters', 'Cowboys', ect. Mascot names are generic and could be any place in any sport anywhere in the world (particularly with the americanised names such as Broncos, Cowboys, ect). Players these days play for franchises and have little to no passion for playing for places / regions. I'm from Newcastle, so I'll use them as my example here. Growing up, the players who played in the red and blue played for Newcastle. They were passionate about representing the city and the greater Hunter Valley region. I would like to think players represented their areas / cities when playing for the different clubs too.

These days, clubs are known moreso for their emblem and, to me anyway, this makes it seem too devoid of passion.

To help aid this cause of mine to bring back the place names into more prominence, I'd like to see the logos somehow highlight who the club represents. Have the name 'Sydney' stand out more than 'Roosters', 'Canberra' more prominent than 'Raiders', ect. St.George-Illawarra and South Sydney already do this as their logos don't even contain their mascot's name in it (excluding the fact that Souths have included the word 'Rabbitohs' underneath it in recent years).

The logo will contain an image that shows what the mascot is, so you don't also need it written there for each and every logo. Not so big and in-your-face anyway. Manly and Parramatta also are on the right track where the naming of the mascot is the same size as the place name, but at the bottom so that the first thing you read is who the team is representing.

I'm going on and on here, so I apologise, but I would like to think you know what I mean and that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Attached are very quick (ie: rough!) visuals to show what I'm trying to suggest.

Those mock-ups look great, and i agree on the naming...

Ive always felt the " __RLFC, ____ City, etc" would be far better formal names for clubs. While the cartoon logos are unlikely to go anywhere, it would at least give the fans a chance to come up with their own nicknames for the clubs.

Taking inspiration from the jumper and the logo, they would probably come up with something original and locally relevent. "Dirty Reds", "Blue Bags", "Rabbitohs", "All Golds" are all some great names and it is a shame that the clubs have stepped in and taken away any space for this kind of fan culture to develop.

axl rose

Bench
. Players these days play for franchises and have little to no passion for playing for places / regions.

Ha was just watching the new Seinfeld special on Netflix and he was ripping on American sports/baseball when people celebrate that 'we' won as none of them are locals to the city/area anymore so yeah they are just celebrating a badge. I guess its due to the draft.

King Ben

Juniors

Agreed, but "Sydney" and "Wests" would have to be changed for it to work. Naming them the "Wests" Tigers was a stupid decision to begin with, and the Roosters should've never been allowed to go away from Eastern Suburbs or Sydney City.

LESStar58

Referee
Take a breath mate, it was for your sake. You seemed disappointed after Hutty left the obvious bait alone. I thought it was the polite thing to do.

I can't help it. There's always one who gets upset.

Also, Geyer's pass to Martin was flat.

Zigwaa

Bench
Ha was just watching the new Seinfeld special on Netflix and he was ripping on American sports/baseball when people celebrate that 'we' won as none of them are locals to the city/area anymore so yeah they are just celebrating a badge. I guess its due to the draft.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/03/sports-fans-sports-fans.html

This is the most succinct and humorous summary of sports fans I've read. In particular the part about basically supporting a set of jerseys with all the player movement these days.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It has taken 50 years, but it looks like Penrith have finally settled on a club branding...

I think its a great look, very unique and a lot of room to play with merch designs.

1506495901261.jpg;pv4f44430bc1556c45

The only thing left is to incorporate the Red-Yellow-Green into the club logo...

Id love to see the old 91-99 circle badge (which would be appropriate with the current leaping panther logo) but even there coloured claw marks behind the logo would work as well.

I just think it is important to establish the core features of the brand and finally end the mish-mash of weird branding decisions.

Zerô

Juniors
The only thing left is to incorporate the Red-Yellow-Green into the club logo...

They do. Black panther with teal shading, red mouth and yellow eyes.

Subtle, ages well, and easily transferable when they get sick of this current design in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.