What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

Canard

Immortal
Considering current trends in FTA ratings, this is a belting figure really.

Anything north of 3M is awesome.

grobbelaar

Juniors
So can any sports warrior tell me what are the total numbers for NRL v AFL for the year then?

I'd include Origin and and Internationals for a code wide comparison but don't think there's a need to go in dry.

Pretty confident that the league got more total ratings for the whole year.

But this is an interesting article in the Melbourne paper:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/busine...e/news-story/8b59cd5b05ba6c48ad4f217c6b3306e6

Flying through the pack: How footy is helping Seven trounce Nine

HARD BALL GETS
How the footy stats stack up for fierce foes Seven and Nine.

27 — The number of ratings weeks won by Seven so far this year. Nine has won three: one before the AFL season, one State of Origin week and the week of the AFL’s pre-finals bye.

36 — The number of nights this year when Seven screened AFL and Nine screened NRL at the same time. Seven won all 36 nights.

45.4% — Seven Network’s share of the free-to-air TV audience the night of the First Preliminary Final. Nine’s share was 24 per cent.

wittyfan

Referee
According to Media Week it was the lowest rating GF in a decade:

Coverage of NRL Grand Final day dominated with the match, the pre-game entertainment and the post-match entertainment all attracting 1.5m+ crowds. The victory by Eastern Suburbs saw them get away to an early lead. The match audience of 2,122,000 was the smallest in a decade and down on last year’s 2,301,000. The win gave Nine a huge start to the week with a Sunday 6pm-12midnight audience share of 40.2%. The Sydney share was a massive 57.7% and in Brisbane 48.8%. The NRL also helped Nine to wins in Melbourne and Adelaide

https://mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-october-1-2018-nrl-gf/

Generalzod

Immortal
According to Media Week it was the lowest rating GF in a decade:

https://mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-october-1-2018-nrl-gf/
Smallest in a decade (not Good at All) in the last 4 years we have been blessed with Good Grand Finals Souths winning after so many years in the wilderness, The Cowboys winning their first Grand final, The Sharks after 50 years win theirs all these are Cinderella stories people where interested, In regards to 2018 maybe people weren't interested in watching it as both teams aren't well liked by other supporters...I could be wrong though

beave

Coach
Smallest in a decade (not Good at All) in the last 4 years we have been blessed with Good Grand Finals Souths winning after so many years in the wilderness, The Cowboys winning their first Grand final, The Sharks after 50 years win theirs all these are Cinderella stories people where interested, In regards to 2018 maybe people weren't interested in watching it as both teams aren't well liked by other supporters...I could be wrong though

Why is the article giving the full ratings for AFL but only the metros for the NRL?

TheRam

Coach
Like I have said many times, the AFL is winning the war. If the NRL needs fairy tales and Cinderella stories every year to win the ratings, then it is losing the battle.

The AFL is by far the national leading football code right across the country by most measures. They are now at the stage in NSW where if fans don't have a direct connection or emotional tie with the teams that are playing, they could not care less about the result or to even sit and watch it. I have met and spoken to so many people over the last few years that couldn't give a rats. Whereas a decade ago most people I knew or spoke to would have an interest and would have plans to watch it somewhere with friends and or family.

Kids in particular have lost interest. This is the most concerning aspect. Another 10-20 years and NSW will be close to equal RL and AFL supporters. They are funding and taking over so many grounds now that would have been laughable only a few years ago. El Dicko and others may scoff and ridicule the messenger, but I have been warning of this for over 10 years now and slowly but surely the AFL roots are spreading and their fruits are ripening right across the eastern states. Queensland will take a little longer then NSW due to being more parochial, but they will succumb too.

The writing is on the wall, and the NRL are playing the harp while their cities and country towns are burning.

colly

Juniors
Why is the article giving the full ratings for AFL but only the metros for the NRL?
It's all part of the dis-information put out by 1.news ltd 2. Usual suspects ie Perth Red Cumberland throw 3. Seven Network.
IN NSW excluding Sydney apox 2.5 million and in Regional Qld 1.8 million people reside, BUT these people don't count as Australian to them.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Like I have said many times, the AFL is winning the war. If the NRL needs fairy tales and Cinderella stories every year to win the ratings, then it is losing the battle.

The AFL is by far the national leading football code right across the country by most measures. They are now at the stage in NSW where if fans don't have a direct connection or emotional tie with the teams that are playing, they could not care less about the result or to even sit and watch it. I have met and spoken to so many people over the last few years that couldn't give a rats. Whereas a decade ago most people I knew or spoke to would have an interest and would have plans to watch it somewhere with friends and or family.

Kids in particular have lost interest. This is the most concerning aspect. Another 10-20 years and NSW will be close to equal RL and AFL supporters. They are funding and taking over so many grounds now that would have been laughable only a few years ago. El Dicko and others may scoff and ridicule the messenger, but I have been warning of this for over 10 years now and slowly but surely the AFL roots are spreading and their fruits are ripening right across the eastern states. Queensland will take a little longer then NSW due to being more parochial, but they will succumb too.

The writing is on the wall, and the NRL are playing the harp while their cities and country towns are burning.
f**k off imbo

you still think a work experience kid operates the NRL website lol

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/posts/11928797/

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's all part of the dis-information put out by 1.news ltd 2. Usual suspects ie Perth Red Cumberland throw 3. Seven Network.
IN NSW excluding Sydney apox 2.5 million and in Regional Qld 1.8 million people reside, BUT these people don't count as Australian to them.

For some reason TV puts much greater emphasis on metro ratings. No idea why, you'd have to ask them. Until NRL gets serious about growing the game across more metro cities , and investing in Sydney to get interest levels up to Melbourne levels, we cant expect to win the metro battle. No city by city ratings yet.

Both finals were down on last year and both equally the smallest audiences on FTA since 2008. Maybe Australia is getting bored with both football codes?

Last edited:

beave

Coach
For some reason TV puts much greater emphasis on metro ratings. No idea why, you'd have to ask them. Until NRL gets serious about growing the game across more metro cities , and investing in Sydney to get interest levels up to Melbourne levels, we cant expect to win the metro battle. No city by city ratings yet.

Both finals were down on last year and both equally the smallest audiences on FTA since 2008. Maybe Australia is getting bored with both football codes?

How many people streamed it on their portable devices?

But that article was comparing apples with oranges. Total AFL vs Metro NRL.

Side note, isn’t the footy being shown on Southern cross 10 in a lot of regional QLD now that WIN has dropped the footy? Wonder how you tally those ratings when its on a different channel?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Side note, isn’t the footy being shown on Southern cross 10 in a lot of regional QLD now that WIN has dropped the footy? Wonder how you tally those ratings when its on a different channel?

Isnt the article comparing same, 2.5mill metro afl and 2.1mill NRL metro? Or is the 2.5mill AFL metro and regional?;

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just checked, here is the combined avg'

AFL National 3,378,000 (Metro 2,601,000 Regional 777,000)
NRL National average: 3,034,000 (Metro 2,122,000 Regional 911,000)

Its metro where we struggled but partly as PErth would have boosted AFL whilst no Qland team probably reduced our Brisbane equivalent.

They also rate higher in Adelaide,Sydney and Brisbane than we do in Melbourne,Perth and Adelaide. Add in Sydneys apathy compared to Melbournes support and we end up 1/2 mill behindmetro ratings

beave

Coach
Isnt the article comparing same, 2.5mill metro afl and 2.1mill NRL metro? Or is the 2.5mill AFL metro and regional?;

It says 3.3 mil for AFL at the start and then 2.12mil for the NRL in the channel 9 paragraph.

Canard

Immortal

Haha.

What utter bullshit

twesty

Juniors

wrong. Comparisons are metros only for both codes.

This site has compared metro and regionals:

beave

Coach
wrong. Comparisons are metros only for both codes.

This site has compared metro and regionals:

Im talking about the GF comparison article you f**king spastic. At what point did I mention the week by week comparison?