What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin I - QLD 12-22 NSW @ MCG

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

betcats

Referee
Interesting stat for all you Cordner fans out there.. according to NRL.com he was the best forward on the park for post contact meters...

https://www.nrl.com/stats/?competition=116&season=2018

Volume stats.

He was the only nsw forward who got to play 80 therefore he took more runs and made more metres(and post contact metres). 21 runs for 150m isn't particularly impressive at all and not the best average metres per run out of the NSW forwards, not even top four metres per run in the NSW pack.

Averages tell a clearer picture a lot of the time.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not a Cordner hater and can see the merit of having him in the team.

Some people think he was the best on the part last night. Some people think he was the worst. I thought he played his role and did it well enough.

tbh I doubt anyone really thinks Cordner is awful, there's just always been a faint whiff of Emperor's New Clothes about him.

He's been a bit of a "chosen one" since he started but I've never seen anything to suggest he's more than a good solid footballer. Nothing wrong with a good solid footballer, of course.

These.

MilkShark

First Grade
Volume stats.

He was the only nsw forward who got to play 80 therefore he took more runs and made more metres(and post contact metres). 21 runs for 150m isn't particularly impressive at all and not the best average metres per run out of the NSW forwards, not even top four metres per run in the NSW pack.

He averaged the least amount of metres run out of the NSW starting pack, and 2nd last out of both NSW and QLD's starting pack.

betcats

Referee
He averaged the least amount of metres run out of the NSW starting pack, and 2nd last out of both NSW and QLD's starting pack.

Best forward on ground tho :rolleyes:.

Like i've been saying he is a solid hardworking forward but Paul Gallen gets called a hog for doing what Cords did last night.

MilkShark

First Grade
Best forward on ground tho :rolleyes:.

Like i've been saying he is a solid hardworking forward but Paul Gallen gets called a hog for doing what Cords did last night.
Exactly.

And the difference is Gallen got the metres and a roll on. Cordner stagnated the attack and wasted a tackle.

Munted

Bench
Was at the game and mick crocker was entertaining a bunch of merkins near blatchys, f**king loved seeing people give it to him.
Shame that it was in Melbourne to be honest (as a die hard fan).
Game 2 2014 was an amazing atmosphere, no doubt due to the drought breaking but it was electric.
I've been to club games with more atmosphere than the 80k last night.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Volume stats.

well no not really.... A lot of the talk has been about his ineffectual runs and getting dominated and this was in reference to those statements. id say that having the most post contact meters out of any forward from NSW or QLD would show that wasn't the case.

Also i like how we talk about volume stats as if they're a bad thing.. you know someone actually has to do the work coming out of our own end right? and that those hit ups are usually one out with a compressed line coming at you.

once again Corder was by no means our best but some of the meltdowns about how bad he was are just laughable.

King hit

Coach
What I took out of the game from a NSW perspective

- You can tell Freddy had so much confidence in the youth NSW has developed. A fresh team and a fresh approach paid off.

- I wasn’t all that confident about Tommy T as I believe he makes to many errors for Manly but he handled everything thrown at him and had a blinder in the second half

- The debutants that Impressed me the most where Addo-Carr, Trobevic, Debelin and Cook.

- The Maroons really struggled with their finishes and couldn’t come up with the clutch play. They were outdone by their NSW counterparts

- Tedesco is just awesome in Origin. Another amazing display by Teddy. geniuss wanting him dropped please stand up

- I feel working hard for the win will help us for game 2 unlike last year where the Maroons were flogged and that could’ve made the Blues complacent.

- I also really admired how they won. When Gagai scored to put QLD ahead I had that feeling that the Blues will fold again but the way they came back immediately and didn’t drop their heads showed how much self belief is amongst them and to then hold on and finish the job with not much experience at this level was very encouraging to watch

Let’s do the job in Sydney

betcats

Referee
well no not really.... A lot of the talk has been about his ineffectual runs and getting dominated and this was in reference to those statements. id say that having the most post contact meters out of any forward from NSW or QLD would show that wasn't the case.

Also i like how we talk about volume stats as if they're a bad thing.. you know someone actually has to do the work coming out of our own end right? and that those hit ups are usually one out with a compressed line coming at you.

once again Corder was by no means our best but some of the meltdowns about how bad he was are just laughable.

I never said they were a bad thing but volume stats can be misleading(all stats can). Is Boyds 21 runs for 150m really more impressive than Klemmers 11 for 133? No.

And FTR I have defended Boyds selection in previous years, you can check my post history. This year I thought Sims should get picked. I stand by that, he was in better form.

And yes someone has to do the work so good on Boyd for taking lots of tough runs. Like I said earlier Gallen got called a hog for doing similar things.

Last edited:

MilkShark

First Grade
He had the most runs, of course his post contact metres will be the highest.

Is that hard to understand?

OldPanther

Coach

No one has said he was bad though. People have said he's average or solid. Nothing better than other options.

SBD82

Coach
I never said they were a bad thing but volume stats can be misleading(all stats can). Is Boyds 21 runs for 150m really more impressive than Klemmers 11 for 133? No.

And FTR I have defended Boyds selection in previous years, you can check my post history. This year I thought Sims should get picked. I stand by that, he was in better form.

And yes someone has to do the work so good on Boyd for taking lots of tough runs. Like I said earlier Gallen got called a hog for doing similar things.
Gallen got called a hog for taking those runs in the oppositions 20m zone, not for taking them coming off his own line.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Game 2 2014 was an amazing atmosphere, no doubt due to the drought breaking but it was electric.
I've been to club games with more atmosphere than the 80k last night.

I disagree. I was at Game 2 2014 (and the game last night) and I found it to be one of the most spiteful and hate filled spectacles among the crowd. Fans from both sides were acting like utter savages towards each other, and after the game they all seemed to just shuffle out like zombies. Couple that with 80 mins of some of the most dour, niggle-filled footy in Origin history and the atmosphere was certainly not up to usual standard IMO.

Munted

Bench
I disagree. I was at Game 2 2014 (and the game last night) and I found it to be one of the most spiteful and hate filled spectacles among the crowd. Fans from both sides were acting like utter savages towards each other, and after the game they all seemed to just shuffle out like zombies. Couple that with 80 mins of some of the most dour, niggle-filled footy in Origin history and the atmosphere was certainly not up to usual standard IMO.
I'm confused , you loved the savage nature between fans last night, or the atmosphere was not up to the usual standard as per your last line?

Valheru

Coach

Klemmer took his runs either from a more established start to the set e.g. a penalty, scrum, kick off etc. or later in the set so of course he gets more yardage per carry. That's not bagging him, that is a prop's job.

Gallen got knocked for taking hit up after hit up in the attacking 30 ruining all momentum of the set, Cordner didn't do that yesterday, the vast majority of his hit ups were rolling the sleeves up from our own end when no other forwards had the energy or willingness to.

Latest posts