What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 SF2 Sat - Rabbitohs 13-12 Dragons @ ANZ

Finals Week 2: Rabbitohs v Dragons

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GongPanther

Referee
Storm -7.5 and Roosters -1.5 are the lines.

I'd be surprised if the Storm don't win, i think the other one is a coinflip, Souths were nervy today but next week could be back to their best.
The players from both sides will be revved up for this one. IMO,this will be more eventful than the GF.

yobbo84

First Grade
Death, taxes, and LU whinging about the Rabbitohs. When it comes to Souths there's more salt on this forum than in the Red Sea.

For the level headed Dragons fans - well done, commiserations - tough way to go out. You guys have a good side and were unlucky last night.

Bazal

Post Whore
Slightly relevant....

Watching the NSW Cup and Jai Field is cutting up in a pressure situation late in the match. How on earth did Mary only give him five minutes last night?

The kid could have swung the game with one run. Yeah, NSW Cup is a different level but injecting a fresh guy with his skillset against a bashed Souths side was exactly the play to try and break the game open

Life's Good

Coach
Slightly relevant....

Watching the NSW Cup and Jai Field is cutting up in a pressure situation late in the match. How on earth did Mary only give him five minutes last night?

The kid could have swung the game with one run. Yeah, NSW Cup is a different level but injecting a fresh guy with his skillset against a bashed Souths side was exactly the play to try and break the game open
Have a close look at the last play where Mann takes the tackle from a Ben Hunt pass with about a minute to go.
Hunt throws the ball left & instead of Mann playing decoy he takes the pass & dies with the ball. The pass was intended for Field who streaks away with no one in front of him in a 3 on 1 overlap. If only Mann stayed out of it....

Morehead St

Juniors
Have a close look at the last play where Mann takes the tackle from a Ben Hunt pass with about a minute to go.
Hunt throws the ball left & instead of Mann playing decoy he takes the pass & dies with the ball. The pass was intended for Field who streaks away with no one in front of him in a 3 on 1 overlap. If only Mann stayed out of it....
I agree, mate. I'm a Souths man, but I believe that if the Hunt pass had been a cut-out - as I believe Hunt intended it to be - the created overlap would have put the turn over deep into Souths territory - making for a different result. Further, a kick from Field or his outside support would have added immense pressure.
However, it still needs to be said that Hunt's eventual call would have been applauded in any other situation but this one. He still should have kicked.
I still can see the dismay and hurt on McGregor's face at the decision. To his credit he did not lay blame, let alone analyse that call. He correctly judged such was not the right rtime.
You blokes will be better and stronger next year.

Life's Good

Coach
I agree, mate. I'm a Souths man, but I believe that if the Hunt pass had been a cut-out - as I believe Hunt intended it to be - the created overlap would have put the turn over deep into Souths territory - making for a different result. Further, a kick from Field or his outside support would have added immense pressure.
However, it still needs to be said that Hunt's eventual call would have been applauded in any other situation but this one. He still should have kicked.
I still can see the dismay and hurt on McGregor's face at the decision. To his credit he did not lay blame, let alone analyse that call. He correctly judged such was not the right rtime.
You blokes will be better and stronger next year.

One thing not mentioned, and it’s my opinion only, is that if the game goes to ET then you guys still would have won. We were deadset gassed & it was only a matter of time. We started to lose our grip on the game the minute we turned over possession on the 6th which was followed by the Crichton try because up until then our tails were up. It’s easy for the critics to slam Hunt(like after the 2015 GF)but it’s not one moment that led to last nights loss.
Anyway, whilst we had a good portion of the running you guys showed enough class to be within enough points to win. Good luck next week.

Morehead St

Juniors
One thing not mentioned, and it’s my opinion only, is that if the game goes to ET then you guys still would have won. We were deadset gassed & it was only a matter of time. We started to lose our grip on the game the minute we turned over possession on the 6th which was followed by the Crichton try because up until then our tails were up. It’s easy for the critics to slam Hunt(like after the 2015 GF)but it’s not one moment that led to last nights loss.
Anyway, whilst we had a good portion of the running you guys showed enough class to be within enough points to win. Good luck next week.
That’s an insightful analysis you make. I wrote at half time: “It has been a confrontational and very physical first 30 min - and Souths look the worse for wear for it. The last 10 min of the half saw Saints on top without doubt as our forwards look spent.
Not tying the ball up has been a problem for the year and the off-loads tonight from the Dragons are making inroads and wearing our blokes out further as they make up the extra ground to get back onside - usually in a little disorganised state.
Gus is calling it right when he says that Souths have not changed their plan of attack all year - similar to Madge who kept the same power game for too many years leading to less than motivated commitment from many players as they became sick of just being battering rams.
That predictability is making it easier for Saints tonight.
The Dragons look more enthused and more confident.”
(Yeah, I typed a mouthful, but it was either occupy my nervousness with yabba, or get some mouthfuls of relaxants from the brown bottles in the fridge).
However, I believe you have left out a vital point – which I made after the game: “I shudder to imagine what last night's result would have been if Tariq had stayed on to keep the defensive line tight - Souths only made inroads after half time.”
As an honest Souths fan commented: “I thought St George put up a really good show tonight and were the better team despite missing personnel and for all the criticism they've received with the 'chokers' tag, they can be very proud of that effort.”
Thanks for the best wishes - many Dragon supporters have gallantly done so and it is appreciated.
And another Souths fan accurately remarked: “That game last night honestly could have gone either way and I think we just managed to get a little lucky and win the big moments towards the end of the game. You guys (Saints) have a quality side and I think you should be very proud of your team as it's the deepest you've gone into the finals for quite some time and I think you're really building into a Premiership force in the coming years if you weren't already.”