What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 - what needs to change

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Been plastered all over various threads already but I'll start another one cos why not? The season is done so we'll need some entertainment as the forum goes relatively quiet for a few months.

So what needs to change? First of all, Val ain't a fullback. How many try assists does he have this season? Wouldn't be many. He's a class winger and a finisher, no doubt about it. Dugan will be our first choice number 1 next season. I'm not sold on the idea but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Flanno's recruiting has been excellent in the past so let's hope he's got this one right.

Secondly, the Maloney issue is, for mine, a very distracting one. Hasn't been at his best all season and it's there for all to see. His penalties are so frustrating and it killed us so many times this year. Not sure whether Moylan will be a good swap for BBQ but I think a sea change could do Matt the world of good, his best mate Wade is here so that could also work in our favour. I'm very much torn on the issue but Maloney needs to take a good look at himself over the summer cos he ain't worth 850k or whatever it was he was asking for.

Time is up for Heighno. Been an excellent servant for the club in his time here, but he offers nothing and his miss today on Taumalolo was a shocker. Thanks for everything Chris but time to go and let some youth take over. Capewell is a much better option.
Segeyaro, wow what a disappointment he's been. Touted as the perfect replacement for Ennis and has done f**k all. Not sure where to go with him, probably deserves another chance next season but by all reports young Blake Brailey looks the goods.

Tough decisions for Flange and the club to make from now until November when pre-season begins.

Nervous times for a Sharks fan. 2016 seems like an age ago now.

King Ben

Juniors
Allow Maloney to walk if he wants. Along with Bird signing with Brisbane, it's been hanging over the team's head all year. If Cronk doesn't want to play on next year, bring him in as our halves coach.

Dugan as fullback come round one. Val had his chances but the wing is his best position.

Heino and Taga can both go. I would give Latimore another year. Start blooding the stars from the Under 20's. I'd like to see more of Ramien.

I'm willing to give Sege a full off-season to see whether that fixes things, but he has 3 rounds to impress or else it's Cabramatta or whoever we are linking with next year in NSW Cup.

It's time to make hard decisions if players aren't impressing or improving - no matter what they did back in 2016.

sandshark

Bench
I hope Maloney is leaving. We can't deal with the countless penalties from him alone. It's time for a mini rebuild starting with a new five eight.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Refressshhh

Keep Gal, Lewis, Graham, Holmes, Fifita, Brailey and the rest can git farked.

Need a new group with more desire to win it again

M2D2

Bench
Both of you great points, agree with most if not all. (im high as balls right now so eh) (not so much toomuchsoup. i wouldnt be getting rid of Feki/Loots yet)
I would also like to request someone takes Gal and Feets aside and go "Guys. You wont win too many penalties this year. Stop playing for them. The odds arent in your favour."
And for them to STOP THAT f**kING billy slater play that worked so well for Barba, Holmes isnt the right mold for that. Too tall. Maybe with Bogan cause a bit thicker, but id rather them just bury it with the hopes and dreams of 2017.

Quigs

Immortal
What needs to change for next year - I'm now not overly concerned.

I know what my plans are for the 2018 footy season. I'm calling it the great winding down.

carinashark

First Grade
I think Flanno has made all the changes he needs to make for 2018 and it will be a better team that will start next season. But we will need to score more points in games. Our defence is pretty good . Against a bigger Cowboys side we did well to hold them to 14. But our backline should have put 25 on them, that's the 2017 backline, so next season we need to have strike players scoring points. The team needs to evolve next season with more younger players brought up and getting games.

Craigshark

First Grade
I think the most disappointing thing about yesterday's loss was realizing we might be in for a few years like Souths have had. I'm seriously concerned about the next few years.

Weaponhead

Coach
Some obvious improvements needed for next season
1. More attacking threat from fullback. The link from halves to outside backs just did not work. Does Dugan have a better passing game? Doubt it, but this needs urgent addressing because the attack was ordinary.
2. More punch from the bench. Heino went 1 season too many, Latimore was ok, Taga was Taga. Hopefully Ava and Uele can add impact.
3. Errors. Having the highest error rate in the league given the very limited attack just doesn't work. Far too many poor errors killed the ability to create pressure.

The strengths of this team has been playing a direct power game and fast line speed to limit opposition go forward. This needs to continue but as the forwards she it will be harder to keep it up.

Flanno does need to evolve the team and the game plan to keep in the mix. Souths are the obvious example of what happens when a side does not evolve it's approach.