What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 2nd Test Australia v England, Lords Aug 14-18

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Itd be a no contest. I mean, could you imagine Warner facing Holding/Roberts/Garner in the '70s without a helmet and all the other protective equipment? LOL, he'd shit his pants before facing a ball. Just shows you just how good batsmen like Border and Gavaskar were to score runs off them.
Sunny got most of his runs against the Windies before they assembled their great pace battery. He went MIA against them later on. Just like Boycatt who seemed to be unavailable against them.

JJ

Immortal
Honestly had no idea there was a concussion substitution law brought in.

Was very confused when I checked the score while half asleep.
It's interesting too... I think I am against it... they should just have strong protocols and prevent anyone concussed playing a further role in the game...

Unclear why someone who is hurt in that way can be replaced, but for example the Simon Jones knee, or the horrible Gillespie/Waugh situation can't (although I guess under this rule Waugh might have)...

Should be for all injuries or none - Smith gets his arm broken, can't be replaced - gets concussed can... bit weird imo... and not like concussions are that common... at the end of the day, both hits were similar - quality quick bowling and Smith getting himself in the wrong position

JJ

Immortal
Sunny got most of his runs against the Windies before they assembled their great pace battery. He went MIA against them later on. Just like Boycatt who seemed to be unavailable against them.
Not really true - he had a huge series in 1971...

But a lot of other success, excluding the 71 series he still averaged over 50 against them with 9 centuries - better in India >60 vs >40 - but still excellent

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Travis Head isn't too bad,at least the little merkin can make it to 30-40 every now and than unlike most of our batters,Travis Head would probably have to work at Video Ezy in Brian Lara's era but in this era he's the white Gary Sobers
LMFAO!!!

That is one of your best!!

Holy shit can’t believe it got so close, thank f**k Root is such a weak merkin. Otherwise it’s 1-1 and Hiney doesn’t get his super huge 3.50 value bet on the draw.

Lasagne at 3 in the next rest Oozie to open and Warner or Plodcroft loaded into a cannon and fired into the sun.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not really true - he had a huge series in 1971...

But a lot of other success, excluding the 71 series he still averaged over 50 against them with 9 centuries - better in India >60 vs >40 - but still excellent
How many of those 100’s were after 76???

JJ

Immortal
Davey's longing for those flat Australian wickets ... he's so awesome, practicing his wee jump in expectation of some home tests

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's interesting too... I think I am against it... they should just have strong protocols and prevent anyone concussed playing a further role in the game...

Unclear why someone who is hurt in that way can be replaced, but for example the Simon Jones knee, or the horrible Gillespie/Waugh situation can't (although I guess under this rule Waugh might have)...

Should be for all injuries or none - Smith gets his arm broken, can't be replaced - gets concussed can... bit weird imo... and not like concussions are that common... at the end of the day, both hits were similar - quality quick bowling and Smith getting himself in the wrong position
I think you need replacing, this post is obviously written by someone who is concussed.

JJ

Immortal
I think you need replacing, this post is obviously written by someone who is concussed.
Why... I'm happy enough with the rule, just seems strange that one injury is viewed differently... teh Waugh Gillespie situation is interesting, assuming Waugh gets concussed he can be replaced, but his head breaks Gillespie's leg and you're a bowler down...

The Effrikan did good though...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Very hard to judge that game with rain effecting it.

Archer is a big bonus for the poms.
Stokes is England's best bat atm by a long way.

Head has become our 2nd most reliable bat behind Smith.
The level of plod in the batting lineups is laughable.

Haynetrain is officially the funniest lesbian in the world as per official rankings:
1. Haynetrain
2. Magda Szubanski
3. Ellen Degeneres
4. That kiwi chick on Have you been paying attention?
5. Bea Arthur

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why... I'm happy enough with the rule, just seems strange that one injury is viewed differently... teh Waugh Gillespie situation is interesting, assuming Waugh gets concussed he can be replaced, but his head breaks Gillespie's leg and you're a bowler down...

You've not heard about the effects of repeated concussion? Or seen what's happening in the NRL, NFL or rugby ?

Timbo

Staff member

They had to make it a special case, otherwise you'd have too many blokes batting against medical advice or asking the team doctor to let it slide 'for the good of the team'.

JJ

Immortal
They had to make it a special case, otherwise you'd have too many blokes batting against medical advice or asking the team doctor to let it slide 'for the good of the team'.
yep, that's really the only reason

JJ

Immortal
You've not heard about the effects of repeated concussion? Or seen what's happening in the NRL, NFL or rugby ?
Of course - and like I said, you test and stop them from playing - simple...

We're talking across purposes, I think

TheParraboy

Staff member
Had there been another session or two of play remaining ( thank you pommie weather) poms win this test I reckon

They would have got well over 300 lead and lot more overs to bowl us out on the last day

Imagine the scrutiny of our decision to bowl first and be exposed on a day 5 deck rather than just 40 odd overs

hineyrulz

Post Whore
1976 2
1978 3
1979 1
1983 3

I know he's not popular, but he was a legitimately great opener.. Border had a similar-ish record, but batting 4-6 not opening
Never said he wasn’t. I just thought his record was inflated scoring most of his runs before they assembled that pace battery. Figures prove me wrong as usual.

Latest posts