What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 3rd Test Australia v England, Leeds Aug 22-26

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol Paine will be remembered for Headingley as a fill in captain but when you bring up Cardiff Punter fans fal over themselves to defend him.

Paine will be remembered as a stop gap skipper who did a decent job but was thrown in to a role he wasn't really qualified for.

blaza88z

Coach
Lol Paine will be remembered for Headingley as a fill in captain but when you bring up Cardiff Punter fans fal over themselves to defend him.

Paine will be remembered as a stop gap skipper who did a decent job but was thrown in to a role he wasn't really qualified for.

I think when you go on to become one of the best batsmen that's ever worn the baggy green, you earn the right to be shit every once in a while, what has Paine done?

Bazal

Post Whore
I think when you go on to become one of the best batsmen that's ever worn the baggy green, you earn the right to be shit every once in a while, what has Paine done?

Nothing to do with his batting.

Paine is a similar captain to Ponting, actually. Clearly a popular guy with his players, but tactically limited and let's games drift. Except one of those guys was there allegedly on merit and the other was thrown to the wolves thanks to the toxic culture that had developed in the Aussie side.

And now the wolves are all too eager. Don't get me wrong, Paine is hardly ideal. But I do think a lot of people are entirely lacking in perspective here. I've seen posts elsewhere wishing career ending injuries on the guy FSS

JJ

Immortal
Paine taking a lot of heat here - fair enough to a degree

However, Stokes and the Poms deserve huge credit. Paine also has senior players on the field, and the coach would have been in communication too...

Just an illustration of why test cricket is great IMO - this shit doesn't happen often, but wow - after you towelled them in the first innings and then Root got out early last night, few saw this coming -- I don't even think Tommy Smith dreamed about it under his Boyd Cordner duvet (doona) last night

undertaker

Coach
Another thing that caught my attention at the time (and one of my biggest pet hates in cricket these days that I've mentioned several times on the cricket forums) was how far the rope down the ground was brought in from the advertising board, much more than the ICC minimum requirement of 3 yards.

Had that been back as far as legally possible, those mistimed sixes by Stokes go straight to long off, especially that final six he hit when 8 runs were required that just cleared the fielder there.

JJ

Immortal
Quality sledge at the Indian kid... can catch better than Wadey

Eelectrica

Referee
Paine taking a lot of heat here - fair enough to a degree

However, Stokes and the Poms deserve huge credit. Paine also has senior players on the field, and the coach would have been in communication too...

Just an illustration of why test cricket is great IMO - this shit doesn't happen often, but wow - after you towelled them in the first innings and then Root got out early last night, few saw this coming -- I don't even think Tommy Smith dreamed about it under his Boyd Cordner duvet (doona) last night
I give Stokes all the credit in the world. he played an incredible innings.
He was set to be there at the end or go down fighting.

Without his knock we win comfortably and don't choke. The way he played opened the door for our meltdown.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

I think people acknowledge that Punter f**ked up there. However you cannot compare the two f**k ups. Ponting rode his luck a little too much with negative declarations. Leading to drawing a match we should have won. Paine had a literal on field meltdown as captain handing Australia the worst loss in my lifetime. People arent going to be as kind to Paine as you think.

Im normally pretty sensible with losses despite my doom posting. Over on the greenhouse i normally argue for calm when fans want scapegoats. Heck i argued last night that tiny brain beej gives us more good than bad. I want f**king blood over this loss though. If we lose the ashes and i believe we will from here i want serious repercussions.

Latest posts