What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 3rd Test Australia v England, Leeds Aug 22-26

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Paine taking a lot of heat here - fair enough to a degree

However, Stokes and the Poms deserve huge credit. Paine also has senior players on the field, and the coach would have been in communication too...

Just an illustration of why test cricket is great IMO - this shit doesn't happen often, but wow - after you towelled them in the first innings and then Root got out early last night, few saw this coming -- I don't even think Tommy Smith dreamed about it under his Boyd Cordner duvet (doona) last night

Yes i will happily acknowledge it was one of the greatest innings of all time. We still shit the bed and i still want blood. The fact that Stokes pulled out a fantastic innings doesn't mean we shouldn't look at where we failed.

Its not just Paine but a lot of those senior players too

Bazal

Post Whore
I think people acknowledge that Punter f**ked up there. However you cannot compare the two f**k ups. Ponting rode his luck a little too much with negative declarations. Leading to drawing a match we should have won. Paine had a literal on field meltdown as captain handing Australia the worst loss in my lifetime. People arent going to be as kind to Paine as you think.

Im normally pretty sensible with losses despite my doom posting. Over on the greenhouse i normally argue for calm when fans want scapegoats. Heck i argued last night that tiny brain beej gives us more good than bad. I want f**king blood over this loss though. If we lose the ashes and i believe we will from here i want serious repercussions.

I'm not necessarily comparing as a like for like situation, nor am I specifically defending or deriding either player. There's just a lot of perspective needed here that I feel is very much lacking.

Hell you even have to go right back to why Paine is even in the role...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I'm not necessarily comparing as a like for like situation, nor am I specifically defending or deriding either player. There's just a lot of perspective needed here that I feel is very much lacking.

Hell you even have to go right back to why Paine is even in the role...

Because Australian cricket massively over reacted to something cricket has never seen as a particularly big deal because the public got caught up in some outrage culture?

I dont exactly want Smith in the role of captain either but at least Smith and Punter would score some hard runs when the team needed it. Paine has been a liability this ashes. He is still the best keeping option we have in the squad so he must see out the series so he has the chance at redemption. Id vomit if the reaction to the loss was sticking f**king wade behind the stumps but for the Australian summer if we fail to retain the ashes a number of peoples spot in the side should be questioned. Paine and Khawaja at a minimum

Bazal

Post Whore
Because Australian cricket massively over reacted to something cricket has never seen as a particularly big deal because the public got caught up in some outrage culture?

I dont exactly want Smith in the role of captain either but at least Smith and Punter would score some hard runs when the team needed it. Paine has been a liability this ashes. He is still the best keeping option we have in the squad so he must see out the series so he has the chance at redemption. Id vomit if the reaction to the loss was sticking f**king wade behind the stumps but for the Australian summer if we fail to retain the ashes a number of peoples spot in the side should be questioned. Paine and Khawaja at a minimum

I don't disagree. I think I posted something about Head being captain this home summer earlier in the year.

All I'm saying is people are harsh on a bloke who has essentially been handed a gig he'd never have had or even been mentioned for if not for South Africa. It's not like Paine has been earmarked since the juniors like some or even come through as a possible skipper ever.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
we need to get Jimmy 'wins' Maloney an early release from the panthers and get him over to England asap to give the boys a lesson in how to forget a massive f**k up and and go on to win the game.

I'm seriously concerned that mental scar will f**k us over for the rest of the Ashes, For me the only way to overcome this loss long term is to make sure we get one of these last two tests and bring the Urn home..

Hutty1986

Immortal
we need to get Jimmy 'wins' Maloney an early release from the panthers and get him over to England asap to give the boys a lesson in how to forget a massive f**k up and and go on to win the game.

I'm seriously concerned that mental scar will f**k us over for the rest of the Ashes, For me the only way to overcome this loss long term is to make sure we get one of these last two tests and bring the Urn home..
They'll be mentally shot now. Especially the bowlers. And the batsmen are shit, so we're in a spot of bother.

Zadar

Juniors
Nothing to do with his batting.

Paine is a similar captain to Ponting, actually. Clearly a popular guy with his players, but tactically limited and let's games drift. Except one of those guys was there allegedly on merit and the other was thrown to the wolves thanks to the toxic culture that had developed in the Aussie side.

And now the wolves are all too eager. Don't get me wrong, Paine is hardly ideal. But I do think a lot of people are entirely lacking in perspective here. I've seen posts elsewhere wishing career ending injuries on the guy FSS

Instead of bagging Paine, there should more emphasis on congratulating Stokes, this is something we may never see again, appreciate something spectacular, because without those types of performances in all sports, we would have no highlight reels or amazing memories.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Instead of bagging Paine, there should more emphasis on congratulating Stokes, this is something we may never see again, appreciate something spectacular, because without those types of performances in all sports, we would have no highlight reels or amazing memories.

Nah.he only did that cos he played against useless Aussies,Stokes will never do that against any other nation

Aussies deserve never ending bagging more so than Stokes deserves credit

lockyno1

Post Whore

Yet if the umpire was remotely competent which he isn’t, then the innings was moot.

Slackboy72

Coach
If not for the howler four balls later or whatever we all accept the hail mary review as exactly that. Revisionist history to blame that for a clear umpiring error.

Each team should have one review. Umpires call is either always out or always not out so that it's consistent. Review resets after 80 overs. Two reviews gives too much opportunity for a captain to just check out whether there's a millimeter or two in his favour, one is like gold.

Even then, in that situation, you'd see a hail Mary 99 times out of 100

How about:
  • the third umpire review every out/not out decision while the bowler is walking back to their mark or the batsman is walking off, and;
  • Umpires on the so-called 'elite panel' not be pulled from park cricket.

undertaker

Coach

Jimmy could tell them all about BBQs as well.

undertaker

Coach
Only Australia could make a guy who averaged 34 with the bat before this series started look like Sir Garry Sobers

Even though he batted very well last night, Stokes has got NOTHING on Sobers. A complete insult to mention him in the same sentence as Sobers: someone who would've made millions in T20 cricket and sponsorships had he been playing in today's generation. Test average of nearly 58 from 20 years at the highest level.

Could you imagine Stokes mouthing off to bowlers from that generation such as Wes Hall, Alan Davidson, Typhoon Tyson, Lance Gibbs, Dennis Lillee (pre-back injuries) and facing them on uncovered pitches without a helmet and other protective gear, not to mention the unlimited bouncer rule? He'd be knocked out, FedEx'ed back to the nearest hospital in New Zealand before he could wake up from his slumber and knock someone else out at a nightclub.

Last edited:

Latest posts