What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Canterbury Cup NSW & U20 Jersey Flegg

siv

First Grade
CC U16/U18 feed into Easts U20s
Easts U16/U18 feed into Easts U20s

Bears U16s/U18s feed into Bears U20s

Bears U20s feed into Bears ISP
Easts U20s feed into Bears ISP

Bears ISP feed into Easts NRL

Looks like 3 junior groups feeding 1 NRL club to me

CC U16/U18 feed into Easts U20s
Easts U16/U18 feed into Easts U20s

Bears U16s/U18s feed into Bears U20s

Bears U20s feed into Bears ISP
Easts U20s feed into Bears ISP

Bears ISP feed into Easts NRL

Looks like 3 junior groups feeding 1 NRL club to me

You said 16s/18s you didn't mention 20's

rightleftin

Juniors
It is great theory to refer to Norths and Easts as "2 sets of juniors" but they reality is that districts have had to run combined competitions for many years due to lack of clubs, starting with Wests and Balmain back in the early 80's. Now up to 7 districts in some combined comps.

In 2018 Norths had:

2 under 20's - Asquith, Berowra
U/18 - nil
U/17 - Asquith (division 2)
U/16 - Pennant Hills
2 U/15 - Berowra, NS Bros

In 2018 Easts had:

U/20 - nil
U/18 -nil
3 U/17's - Paddington in Division 1 and 2 Clovelly sides in Division 2
2 U/16 - Paddo (div 1), Bondi (Div 2)
U/15 - Paddo

The 4th club in Easts plays only in the younger age groups.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That assumes Bears U20s feed into ISP which may not be true.

rightleftin

Juniors
That assumes Bears U20s feed into ISP which may not be true.

I am not assuming anything, I am simply stating that junior districts are not equal, many have to play in combined competitions and thus any rule stating that there be restrictions on feeder districts is absurd. The NSWRL released research some years ago showing that 25% of junior rep players for all clubs came from the Parramatta District and there was also a high contribution from Penrith. The junior structures are irrelevant as players go wherever they will be selected.

For reference Penrith has 93 teams playing between U/15 and U/19.

The number of teams U/15 to U/20 in the small districts are:

Norths 6, Easts 6, St George 10, Manly 11, Souths 16, Balmain 18 - total 67.

Timmah

Staff member
I am not assuming anything, I am simply stating that junior districts are not equal, many have to play in combined competitions and thus any rule stating that there be restrictions on feeder districts is absurd. The NSWRL released research some years ago showing that 25% of junior rep players for all clubs came from the Parramatta District and there was also a high contribution from Penrith. The junior structures are irrelevant as players go wherever they will be selected.

Sorry, I was intending to reply to siv, I didn't quote. Apologies

siv

First Grade

I think some of movements may have slowed when the NSWRL introduced a rule if you trial in another district you cannot go back to your old district if you miss the cut

rightleftin

Juniors
I think some of movements may have slowed when the NSWRL introduced a rule if you trial in another district you cannot go back to your old district if you miss the cut

This does not sound likely, as players that do make it at other districts were still returning to their home league when comp finished last year, so why would the lesser players be penalised?

Interesting to see that Balmain had 200 applications for their SG Ball trials so with very few teams in the district, the vast majority would have come from outside, however, there must be some quality in the Balmain district as only 13 of the 36 summer squad are from outside. Similar numbers for the Matts trials with 21 of the 47 squad coming from outside, including 12 from Parramatta.

Last edited:

kbw

Bench

I was under the impression that was a district thing and primarily Penrith and Parra, not a NSWRL thing

Timmah

Staff member
Assuming we'll see a draw in the next few days.

My understanding of the structure of fixturing this year is that there's a Fox game Saturday - ordinarily at 12:50pm, more often than not preceeding an NRL fixture. When there's no 3pm NRL game that timeslot moves to later in the day, either 3:10pm or 5:15pm.

Then on Sunday there's a 1:05pm Ch 9 game, more often that not it's standalone. I believe there'll be a couple of Magpies fixtures in that timeslot at Lidcombe which is great news.

Most rounds there will be anywhere from 1-4 fixtures attached to NRL games which is good news for those who like their multiple grades in one day.

Not totally sure about Flegg sadly as I haven't seen or heard much about it.

Willie Talau announced to coach St George Illawarra Flegg side. He has done well with the Bulldogs SG Ball over the last couple of seasons.

earl park riot

Juniors
Then on Sunday there's a 1:05pm Ch 9 game, more often that not it's standalone. I believe there'll be a couple of Magpies fixtures in that timeslot at Lidcombe which is great news.

Is the 9 ISP broadcast switching to Sunday this year? I hadn’t heard that.
Suspect that will cause some scheduling headaches for Newtown who have always played home games on Saturdays. From all reports, their games rated extremely well last year so no doubt 9 will want to feature them heavily in 2019.

Timmah

Staff member
Is the 9 ISP broadcast switching to Sunday this year? I hadn’t heard that.
Suspect that will cause some scheduling headaches for Newtown who have always played home games on Saturdays. From all reports, their games rated extremely well last year so no doubt 9 will want to feature them heavily in 2019.
I think the consequence will be not many Newtown home games on 9. Maybe 1 or 2 max

footyhead1

Juniors
Who would you say the early favorites to win the title would be in Flegg? Cronulla, Penrith will be good again you would think.

Latest posts