What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

adamkungl

Immortal
Have other crowds stayed equal? Say panthers and sharks?
ANZ is the biggest reason I’ve stopped attending as many games. I will go to Gosford in August for certain but I doubt I will be going to ANZ son Saturday night.

Sharks Penrith and Manly are consistently among the lowest drawing teams.
Even if the week to week crowds are typically similar, the stadiums allow for a couple of big crowds a year that make a significant difference.
Even 'no fans' Roosters pull their average up from 11-12k to 15-17k purely on account of the big games v Souths and Saints.
AND ANZ and Bankwest stadiums pay clubs to play out of them rather than charging rent and maintenance.

Pommy

Coach
Sharks Penrith and Manly are consistently among the lowest drawing teams.
Even if the week to week crowds are typically similar, the stadiums allow for a couple of big crowds a year that make a significant difference.
Even 'no fans' Roosters pull their average up from 11-12k to 15-17k purely on account of the big games v Souths and Saints.
AND ANZ and Bankwest stadiums pay clubs to play out of them rather than charging rent and maintenance.

I thought those pay to play deals had ended? Do manly and Penrith pay for maintenance, it’s the council that own those grounds isn’t it?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
What size crowds do they get? Playing in nicer large stadiums doesn’t do Australian clubs any good.
They claim to get around 1,500-2,000 but I’ve heard from English fans who have travelled over to Toulouse for away games say that the real crowd is half that.

They did post a decent crowd of I believe around 6,000-7,000 when they played Toronto at the union ground earlier this season but playing in a 40,000 capacity stadium is going to look pretty bad on TV when it’s more than 3/4’s empty.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They claim to get around 1,500-2,000 but I’ve heard from English fans who have travelled over to Toulouse for away games say that the real crowd is half that.

They did post a decent crowd of I believe around 6,000-7,000 when they played Toronto at the union ground earlier this season but playing in a 40,000 capacity stadium is going to look pretty bad on TV when it’s more than 3/4’s empty.

I wonder if their crowds would swell if they were in SL? You would think that if they can get to SL they would have an automatic 10k vs Toronto and maybe 12 - 15k v Catalan. Not sure how much they would increase against other opposition.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I wonder if their crowds would swell if they were in SL? You would think that if they can get to SL they would have an automatic 10k vs Toronto and maybe 12 - 15k v Catalan. Not sure how much they would increase against other opposition.
I think they would definitely increase, especially in the stade Ernest-wallon. All depends on how successful they are on the pitch and how they sell themselves to the people of Toulouse.

Toulouse on the move for 2020 Toulouse are in talks about a permanent ground share with rugby union counterparts Stade Toulousain. The recent game against Toronto was moved to their Stade Ernest Wallon home, attracting a crowd of 6,000. With planned re-development at the Stade des Minimes halted, Olympique have been playing at Blagnac RUFC, though it wouldn’t be suitable for Super League. With possible changes afoot regarding the make-up of Super League, Toulouse are hoping to get a ground share in place to boost their top flight ambitions – especially with talk of a stadium expansion in the not too distant future.

Number of pro clubs to cut to 30? It’s looking unlikely that League One will exist post the 2021 funding/broadcast split, with Championship clubs already preparing for negotiations for their own TV deal with the likelihood they will be cut out of the funding via Super League. There is now a scramble for the clubs who think they can maintain semi-professional rugby league in its current form, with fears clubs will cease to exist.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-165/

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Toulouse on the move for 2020 Toulouse are in talks about a permanent ground share with rugby union counterparts Stade Toulousain. The recent game against Toronto was moved to their Stade Ernest Wallon home, attracting a crowd of 6,000. With planned re-development at the Stade des Minimes halted, Olympique have been playing at Blagnac RUFC, though it wouldn’t be suitable for Super League. With possible changes afoot regarding the make-up of Super League, Toulouse are hoping to get a ground share in place to boost their top flight ambitions – especially with talk of a stadium expansion in the not too distant future.

Number of pro clubs to cut to 30? It’s looking unlikely that League One will exist post the 2021 funding/broadcast split, with Championship clubs already preparing for negotiations for their own TV deal with the likelihood they will be cut out of the funding via Super League. There is now a scramble for the clubs who think they can maintain semi-professional rugby league in its current form, with fears clubs will cease to exist.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-165/
Honestly don’t know what to make of cutting out league 1. Are we looking at a 14 team super league and 16 team championship??

Which teams get the chop from league 1 then? West wales? North wales? Coventry? Oldham?

Not really a fan of contracting the domestic scene in the U.K. it’s hardly a good look is it.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
I think if they cull clubs en masse then that’s me done with professional RL in the U.K. They will be starting to accelerate a vicious circle IMO. Who gives these people the power to decide who is acceptable and who isn’t?

Haffa

I think if they cull clubs en masse then that’s me done with professional RL in the U.K. They will be starting to accelerate a vicious circle IMO. Who gives these people the power to decide who is acceptable and who isn’t?
Yep. I’d go back to following Hills Hoist and Scholars results because I played for them but f**k the rest.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Do league 1 clubs really take up that much funding that they need to be cut?

Also, if it is cut, can the clubs that don't make the championship cut play at the amatuer level that currently exists below league 1?

I have to agree though that culling the game's third teir is not a good look.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Do you not get the feeling that the RFL are also trying to nip in the bud North American expansion franchises? Because if league 1 is done away with and the championship becomes a 16 team competition where do any potential new North American or French teams fit in? Can’t see the RFL expanding the championship beyond 16 teams let alone expanding super league beyond 14 teams.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Do league 1 clubs really take up that much funding that they need to be cut?

Also, if it is cut, can the clubs that don't make the championship cut play at the amatuer level that currently exists below league 1?

I have to agree though that culling the game's third teir is not a good look.
It’s just typical of the RFL. Rather than looking at new ways of securing more money via more improved tv deals and sponsorship they take the easy way out of just culling teams.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It’s just typical of the RFL. Rather than looking at new ways of securing more money via more improved tv deals and sponsorship they take the easy way out of just culling teams.

Isn't part of the issue that SL are going it alone in terms of their TV deal? Meaning that the RFL don't control the funds and therefore can't distrubute some of the wealth down the line?

Pretty dumb if we are splitting like that - especially because there is P&R and a club voting to have SL keep all of their TV money could well find themselves in the championship the next year.

deluded pom?

Coach
If they do bin clubs it’ll be interesting to see how they decide who isn’t worthy.

deal.with.it

Juniors
To be fair it was more a joke at the expense of Swinton town and not the player. Poor taste definitely. But more insinuating Swinton people are racist, which came across as racist. I don’t think it’s a stand down offence personally.