What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Dark Corner

Juniors
Really glad Toronto won. I was desperately hoping Newcastle could win promotion into the championship, for me that would have been just as exciting as Toronto's promotion, but unfortunately, it wasn't to be. Hopefully next season.
Gutted for Newcastle as fans are really wanting to get out of League 1...maybe we should just have 2 divisions of 16 clubs ?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Gutted for Newcastle as fans are really wanting to get out of League 1...maybe we should just have 2 divisions of 16 clubs ?
Missed opportunity for the thunder this season. Bad start to the season followed by choking at home to Doncaster in the playoffs and then away to Oldham in the final.

taste2taste

Juniors
If Toronto go up to SL can we expect Sonny Bill Williams to join them after the Rugby World Cup?
If reports are true he'll be either rejoining the Roosters or accepting a record 5million 1 year contract from the Wolfpack.
I know which deal I'd be signing :D

Walter sobchak

First Grade
If Toronto go up to SL can we expect Sonny Bill Williams to join them after the Rugby World Cup?
If reports are true he'll be either rejoining the Roosters or accepting a record 5million 1 year contract from the Wolfpack.
I know which deal I'd be signing :D
There’s no if’s about it. Toronto are in super league next season.

SBW would be a huge signing for the Wolfpack and super league for that matter but I just can’t see it unfortunately. Hope I’m wrong though.

taste2taste

Juniors
If the report's are accurate and Toronto are offering him 5m a season I can't see him knocking that back.
He'd be on max 1.5m at the All Blacks and the Roosters offer would be around 1m a season. Heck, most NFL players don't get 5mil a season.
It'll be interesting to see where he goes after the world cup.

Edit: prices are in Aussie dollars

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
Newcastle are a club on the move! Doing good things, I'm with you hoping they were going to progress...
Yes, they have really gotten their house in order over the last few years. Junior participation is steadily growing, local juniors are making it all the way to their men's team, crowds continue to steadily rise. All the ingredients are there for potential Super League side, some day.

Dark Corner

Juniors
If the report's are accurate and Toronto are offering him 5m a season I can't see him knocking that back.
He'd be on max 1.5m at the All Blacks and the Roosters offer would be around 1m a season. Heck, most NFL players don't get 5mil a season.

Lets hope not The Roosters...its getting boring.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

I’d want at least SBW and Israel folau for 5m a year.

jim_57

Staff member
I’d want at least SBW and Israel folau for 5m a year.

Either on that much would be a bit of a waste I think, I doubt either is a household name in Canada. SBW could be worth a look for a year or two but not for $5m a year.

If they're looking at Union surely they'd be better off looking at some players who's game could suit league that wouldn't be asking millions. Must be a few in Canada alone.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Either on that much would be a bit of a waste I think, I doubt either is a household name in Canada. SBW could be worth a look for a year or two but not for $5m a year.

If they're looking at Union surely they'd be better off looking at some players who's game could suit league that wouldn't be asking millions. Must be a few in Canada alone.
For $5m a year I’d want both SBW&folau plus others. $5m a year on just one player is absurd.

Storm13

Juniors
Again it was a rumour, as Toronto were looking to get SBW for the middle 8's last year.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Again it was a rumour, as Toronto were looking to get SBW for the middle 8's last year.
And publicity no doubt. Either way rumour or not if the Wolfpack had $5m at their disposal I’d want at least 3 “superstars” for that amount of money.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And publicity no doubt. Either way rumour or not if the Wolfpack had $5m at their disposal I’d want at least 3 “superstars” for that amount of money.

I think you'll find the return on investment will come from a globally known (well in rugby terms anyway) player and the marketing opportunities that come with it. As LA Galaxy did with David Beckham - essentially returning the investment on membership and shirt sales.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/17/new-york-bid-sizing-up-usa-players-for-shot-at-super-league/

The lure of contracts with the proposed New York City team aiming to join Toronto Wolfpack in Super League will provide added motivation for USA players at this week’s Downer World Cup 9s.

With members of the New York City bid anticipating being given the green light to try and follow the Wolfpack’s route to the Super League from the 2021 season, players have already been sounded out about the possibility of joining the first professional United States rugby league outfit.

Based at Red Bull Stadium, the NYC bid has promised to provide North American players an opportunity to play the game at the highest level and USA players were given an update on developments after going into camp in Sydney for the World Cup 9s.

“A few of the guys back home are in contact with the people taking care of it and as far as I have heard it is going through in 2021,” Cairns-based USA forward Joe Eichner said.

“I believe they are already looking at players, they have talked to us about it a little bit. They told us not to worry about it at this tournament, just to go out and play but I think they have a few players in mind that they want to take.

“This tournament is great exposure for the game and great exposure for the boys. Hopefully it will open up a few doors and I think a lot of the guys are trying to play for contracts in 2021 with New York.”

remote.axd

The best moments from the Auckland Nines

Eichner, who was born and raised in Florida, was first exposed to rugby league when South Sydney played Leeds before a record crowd at Hodges Stadium at the University of North Florida in 2007 and he got to train with the Rhinos when they returned for an off-season camp four years later.

He was a member of Toronto’s initial squad in 2017 but did not play a game and was loaned to lower tier English club Underbank Rangers, who are based at Holmfirth, near Huddersfield, before moving to Australia after the World Cup.

After this season making his Queensland Cup debut for Northern Pride, Eichner has been re-signed for another year but he hopes to return to the United States in 2021 if New York City are given the green light by the RFL.

“If that bid goes through that would kind of be the end goal. I would put my hand up in a heartbeat. You would want to kind of play for the first professional US rugby league team,” Eichner said.

“I think it would be amazing to play at Red Bull Stadium in front of a crowd of Americans and introduce the game to them. It is everything they love - it is quick and it is contact.

“Toronto is consistently selling out every weekend so if they can break into that United States market I think the game will grow immensely and the US will become a real threat internationally.”