What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

betcats

Referee
I think Egan will be better than Katoa eventually. Though I'm hoping Katoa pulls his finger out and has a big 2019.

We can't keep putting inexperienced players into key position like the 9. Katoa has played more FG. It's not much more xp than Egan however it now includes finals games and international games for Tonga. It's in our best interests that he succeeds. Otherwise we lose that experience and start completely fresh again with Egan.

Of course none of that matters if we just go and buy an experienced 9.

Hopefully one of them makes a big jump this offseason because I don't think we will get a hooker though I wish we would.

Fangs

Coach
Edwards v DWZ. Both very different fullbacks. Edwards is far safer and better defensively. DWZ more physical and dangerous with the ball in hand. Both good support players. Neither have any ball playing ability right now.

I'll take Edwards for team balance, DWZ and Mansour gives us two quality wingers. Only saw Edwards play one game on the wing and it was shithouse. DWZ first choice backup, Aitkens will have to enjoy playing wing if he wants to play first grade here.

OldPanther

Coach
What’s that got to do with my opinion? No matter who gets first crack I still think Dallin is the better option. I never claimed to know who will get picked first next season.

I think Edwards is as good running the ball back. Usually beats the first defender and his positioning is better. Dallin uses his speed to make up ground but Edwards would already be there. No telling what an off season would do for Dallin though.

betcats

Referee
I think Edwards is as good running the ball back. Usually beats the first defender and his positioning is better. Dallin uses his speed to make up ground but Edwards would already be there. No telling what an off season would do for Dallin though.

Edwards has a very good running game no doubt. But IMO Dallin has a better passing game and is a better athlete, he gets more kicks on the full and has us starting sets closer to the opposition try line. I don't think theres much in it, I just prefer Dallins athleticism and aggression. Edwards has often looked shaky under the high ball and when put in playmaking situations this season he didn't come up with good options.

EDIT: Also Edwards had 10 errors in 8 games this season which means he makes more errors on average than Dallin, not less. Dallin had 20 in 20 games.

OldPanther

Coach
Edwards has a very good running game no doubt. But IMO Dallin has a better passing game and is a better athlete, he gets more kicks on the full and has us starting sets closer to the opposition try line. I don't think theres much in it, I just prefer Dallins athleticism and aggression. Edwards has often looked shaky under the high ball and when put in playmaking situations this season he didn't come up with good options.

EDIT: Also Edwards had 10 errors in 8 games this season which means he makes more errors on average than Dallin, not less. Dallin had 20 in 20 games.

Interesting stat. I do like Dallin as a fullback. I think we can still benifit from Dallin's skills while on the wing. More importantly our strongest back 3 has to have both surely.

GongPanther

Referee
Edwards will be given the first opportunity at fullback next year.

Suddenly the club is looking OK for fullbacks actually. They need to identify who will end up being the best of Aekins, Laurie and Staines fairly early. We won't be able to keep all 3 beyond say 2020.
The status quo in the fullback role should and will remain unchanged. With a talent like Edwards,if he is not at fullback,where do you put him?

roofromoz

First Grade
Has he even played there? Putting him against some of the bigger and faster players on the wing with his limited experience would be a step back IMO.

He played there for a few matches last year before Moylan was shifted to five-eighth.

betcats

Referee
Has he even played there? Putting him against some of the bigger and faster players on the wing with his limited experience would be a step back IMO.

Hes big enough to play on the wing. Made his NRL debut there. Spent time on the wing in NYC.

His work ethic is fantastic but hes not overly talented, at least from what we have seen from him so far. He is a good runner and his effort is always top notch but as I said he still looks shaky under high balls, he took a lot of poor options in attack to start this season. Dallin has a lot more upside as a fullback than Dylan IMO. More skilled, better athlete, more experienced and hes not much older than Dyl.

Give Dallin a full preseason as the main guy there and watch what he can do.

GongPanther

Referee
Hes big enough to play on the wing. Made his NRL debut there. Spent time on the wing in NYC.

His work ethic is fantastic but hes not overly talented, at least from what we have seen from him so far. He is a good runner and his effort is always top notch but as I said he still looks shaky under high balls, he took a lot of poor options in attack to start this season. Dallin has a lot more upside as a fullback than Dylan IMO. More skilled, better athlete, more experienced and hes not much older than Dyl.

Give Dallin a full preseason as the main guy there and watch what he can do.
Sounds good...thanks.

martielang

Bench
As good as DWZ was bringing the ball back, i dont think we got enough from him in an attacking sense. Didn't seem to run off our forwards much & I didn't see much in the way of ball playing.

betcats

Referee
As good as DWZ was bringing the ball back, i dont think we got enough from him in an attacking sense. Didn't seem to run off our forwards much & I didn't see much in the way of ball playing.

He definitely needs to follow the ball more. But other than that Edwards doesn't add anything more to our attack at this point IMO. I think Dallins acceleration and power running through the middle would be great once the spine is well drilled with him at fullback.