What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Ivan says he wants Katoa to play 80 minutes so is there any word whether May going to come off the bench in dummy half or in the forwards?

All part of balancing the team. Say Katoa gets a head knock you lose him for 15 mins. You need someone on the bench to cover.

I'd say he is doing to Peachey fill in role

Abacus

Juniors
I'm not sure Katoa being told to be able to play 80 is to have only 1 hooker in the team. Might just be trying to get him fit as Katoa's performance would drop off markedly after about 20-25 mins last year.

I still think we'll go with 2 hookers - but having both Katoa & Egan able to play 80 gives some insurance in case of injury to either. So presumably both have been told to train to play 80.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not sure Katoa being told to be able to play 80 is to have only 1 hooker in the team. Might just be trying to get him fit as Katoa's performance would drop off markedly after about 20-25 mins last year.

I still think we'll go with 2 hookers - but having both Katoa & Egan able to play 80 gives some insurance in case of injury to either. So presumably both have been told to train to play 80.

Problem with that is say Yeo goes off early even with HIA. That leaves the bench with a hooker and 2 props.

Cleary welcomes reshuffle but set to miss trial
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Mon 18 Feb 2019, 07:18 Pm

Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary is unlikely to play in the trial against South Sydney this weekend but has confirmed both a tactical swap with five-eighth James Maloney and the team's fullback.

With Dallin Watene-Zelezniak starring at fullback for New Zealand in the post-season, there was a question over whether he would displace Dylan Edwards – who started last season at the back before being injured – in the No.1 jersey.

But with Watene-Zeleaniak still coming back from his own knee injury – he underwent surgery in January – the race was over before it began, according to Cleary.
"I think Dyl will have that fullback spot locked down just because Dal has been injured and just coming back now," Cleary said on Monday.

"We've had a lot of reps with Dyl back there and he was obviously the fullback to start off with last year."

Cleary was less convinced who was winning the No.9 race between Sione Katoa and Wayde Egan.
"That hooking role, there's kind of a good battle going on but I've played with both of them and thoroughly enjoyed playing with both of them as well growing up, they're both great players and whoever gets put in there will do a great job," Cleary added.

"I think it will come down to trials to see who takes it out."

Cleary said the decision to swap from the right edge to the left alongside Viliame Kikau and Waqa Blake which resulted in Maloney moving to the right next to defensive maestros Isaah Yeo and Dean Whare was made by coach Ivan Cleary.

"I think Dad came up with it just from watching us last year and wanted to try something new," the younger Cleary said.
"Billy [Kikau] and Waqa are a bit inexperienced on that left side and Jimmy defends really well next to Deano and Yeoy, they've got a good understanding.

"It's something different, we'll have to see how it goes. I think that is definitely locked in for round one, it's what we've been doing the whole pre-season. It's coming along well but there's still a long way to go."

Cleary wasn't expecting to play this weekend against the Rabbitohs because he has only been back in full training for around three weeks after having been granted permission to delay off-season ankle surgery to enjoy a holiday in Bali and Thailand.

"I'm just happy to be back in training – I think it's been about three weeks," he said.

"I don't think I'll play too much [in the trials], I probably won't play this weekend, maybe get a couple of minutes against Parra but we'll just see how that goes. I don't want to rush into anything too soon and try and be 100 per cent right for round one."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/18...-set-to-miss-penrith-trial-against-rabbitohs/

franklin2323

Immortal
Cheers mate. That'll be a big downside.

Maloney Cleary switch sounds like a good idea. Most of us said it should happen during the off season.

They started like that. I can't remember when it changed to Maloney with Kikau. I 1st noticed it was an issue in the Dogs game at Penrith. Maybe that was the 1st time it happened