What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

franklin2323

Immortal
I can understand the early releases of DWZ, Waqa Blake and even RCG but I don’t see any benefit whatsoever in allowing Wade Egan to leave.

Wade Egan is not likely to be on any more than 300K, if that, so surely given we have nurtured him thru the juniors what benefit is there to releasing him. I don’t get it!!!

Same with Jack Hetherington, a huge talent, yes he has had a bad 2019 but still he is a talent none the less.

The way this rebuild is looking I can;t help but feel Russell Packer will be in Panthers colours in 2020 albeit only to play CC.

Honestly, I have no faith in the three wise men leading our club at present.

Do you keep Egan if he is going to be in NSW Cup? Gus always said best to let them go. I never agreed with that unless the player is causing trouble make them stay

age.s

First Grade
I'd like to keep Egan but it'd be a dick move to deny him if he has a better opportunity at the Warriors. I'd like to think the club is above that. Gus got that aspect 100% right. It can be destabilising, not to mention unethical.

I've no problem with sinking the boot into gold diggers like Matterson. Clubs denying players such opportunities is the other side of the same coin.

Panther Mick

Juniors
This could be a furfy too. Can you imagine a player being allowed to tracel O/S a couple of days after surgery. https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/25/cleary-out-of-test-contention-due-to-toe-surgery/ Last paragraph. Especially not recommonded because blood clots can form.

Maybe he went over there before his surgery? I don't know the date of his surgery or when he went to NZ. I believe Brent Read reported there were pictures of him over there.
I have learnt one thing here with rumours. When they keep coming up - they usually turn out to be true.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Do you keep Egan if he is going to be in NSW Cup? Gus always said best to let them go. I never agreed with that unless the player is causing trouble make them stay
Why? It doesn't benefit anybody to make somebody stay who can get a better deal somewhere else and wants to go. If you re approached in a job and offered more money by a competitor, you can hand in your notice and leave. If you were forced to stay and turn down a lucrative offer you would be pissed off and wouldn't deliver the right level of commitment and performance. Why should a sports star be different? Not all of them are on massive pay deals and who are we to stop people making the most of their short careers.

If you don't want people to leave and don't want to pay overs, create a winning, positive environment that people want to be part of. Obviously, to do that you shouldn't start by hiring your friend, who is a mediocre coach with a less than 50% winning record and a Dad of one of the players. But, stable doors and all that.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why? It doesn't benefit anybody to make somebody stay who can get a better deal somewhere else and wants to go. If you re approached in a job and offered more money by a competitor, you can hand in your notice and leave. If you were forced to stay and turn down a lucrative offer you would be pissed off and wouldn't deliver the right level of commitment and performance. Why should a sports star be different? Not all of them are on massive pay deals and who are we to stop people making the most of their short careers.

If you don't want people to leave and don't want to pay overs, create a winning, positive environment that people want to be part of. Obviously, to do that you shouldn't start by hiring your friend, who is a mediocre coach with a less than 50% winning record and a Dad of one of the players. But, stable doors and all that.

He signed as a developing hooker. How is Api coming any different to if Katoa had made the role his? Players shouldn't be so quick to re-sign these deals

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd like to keep Egan but it'd be a dick move to deny him if he has a better opportunity at the Warriors. I'd like to think the club is above that. Gus got that aspect 100% right. It can be destabilising, not to mention unethical.

I've no problem with sinking the boot into gold diggers like Matterson. Clubs denying players such opportunities is the other side of the same coin.

What if Api does his ACL round 1 though? You need the guys for depth

Pomoz

Bench
He signed as a developing hooker. How is Api coming any different to if Katoa had made the role his? Players shouldn't be so quick to re-sign these deals
What does what he signed as, have to do with making him stay? If he gets a better opportunity why stop them leaving? Do you have restrictions in your contract that stops you leaving for a better job?

I'll say it again. Players don't leave if the environment is a good one and they think they can be successful at the club. We should focus on getting that right, not forcing players to play NSW cup when they can play first grade somewhere else. Have you considered what it would look like for the other young players watching this situation? They see a local junior having a player recruited above them and then stopped from doing better elsewhere. Why would a junior resign for us once they are starting to establish themselves? They would be looking at the better players above them and thinking they may rot in reserve grade until the other player gets injured or leaves. Meanwhile, they can't leave when an opportunity comes up elsewhere. It's just not as simple as you think.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
What if he sits behind Api in CC all year, becomes bitter at the club and passes that bitterness on to those in the club who are mates with him?

Same risk if Kenny overtook him. He was 10 games into his career and re-signed there was always a chance he wouldn't be a starter when that deal started.

franklin2323

Immortal
What does what he signed as, have to do with making him stay? If he gets a better opportunity why stop them leaving? Do you have restrictions in your contract that stops you leaving for a better job?

I'll say it again. Players don't leave if the environment is a good one and they think they can be successful at the club. We should focus on getting that right, not forcing players to play NSW cup when they can play first grade somewhere else. Have you considered what it would look like for the other young players watching this situation? They see a local junior having a player recruited above them and then stopped from doing better elsewhere. Why would a junior resign for us once they are starting to establish themselves? They would be looking at the better players above them and thinking they may rot in reserve grade until the other player gets injured or leaves. Meanwhile, they can't leave when an opportunity comes up elsewhere. It's just not as simple a you think.

What has changed since he signed the deal in March? Same coach. Still not a starter still very early in his career.
I can see Kodi Nikorima being the Warriors 9 long term so no guarantee leaving makes him a starter

age.s

First Grade
Same risk if Kenny overtook him. He was 10 games into his career and re-signed there was always a chance he wouldn't be a starter when that deal started.

It's not even close to comparable. One is a player who you know will be competing with you jumping you in the pecking order. The other is the club restraining your trade. The latter is very obviously more likely to antagonise you.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's not even close to comparable. One is a player who you know will be competing with you jumping you in the pecking order. The other is the club restraining your trade. The latter is very obviously more likely to antagonise you.

Granted but why sign March knowing this can happen. Leaves the club short in a key position so strange to agree

franklin2323

Immortal
Because a club wasn't offering him good $$$ and likely the promise of a starting spot. Hindsight is 20/20 etc.

I don't see him starting there though. If I am Kearney my spine is:

RTS
Tavita-Harris
Green
Nikorima.
Tavega the bench

So no guarantee he sees any extra FG there.

Playing wise nothing changed him or Katoa didn't improve as the year went on. That is why we went elsewhere.

OldPanther

Coach
I don't see him starting there though. If I am Kearney my spine is:

RTS
Tavita-Harris
Green
Nikorima.
Tavega the bench

So no guarantee he sees any extra FG there.

Playing wise nothing changed him or Katoa didn't improve as the year went on. That is why we went elsewhere.

Having a guess but I don't think he goes without the promise of the starting spot from the club.

Not at all but I expect a player that signs a deal in March to atleast start the new deal

He has to do what's right for him financially. It's a short career that ruins your body.

MugaB

Coach
What has changed since he signed the deal in March? Same coach. Still not a starter still very early in his career.
I can see Kodi Nikorima being the Warriors 9 long term so no guarantee leaving makes him a starter
Mitch Rein, same sh1t happened going to gold coast, just wait egan, api was already playing 40 mins at manly, it would be better for egan to stay.