What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

The Storm logo was actually ceeated in 1996 by a 20 year old ARL fan with no commercial art experience at the height of the Suoer League war.

It formed part of an unsolicited dossier handed in at Phillip Street (before visiting a USS aircraft carrier visiting Sydney at the time). It was fan art by a naive, dreaming kid who loved rugby league.

The Storm logo was a direct lift from a picture of Zeus hurling a lightning bolt in a history book on Greek gods and mythology. The arm throwing the bolt was as is but the bolt was repositioned top left to bottom right and was not a bolt but a harpoon. The team name was the Hobart Harpooners (as if that team would ever get up lol - though Tasmania did have a proud whaling history ). The storm clouds were the froth of waves breaking at the front of a whaling boat.

There was also a Melbourne Blues logo which was the kangaroo face off the Wallabies logo circa 1991-1995 and dark navy blue / white V like the Vic ODI shirt now.

There was also the Adelaide Angels in blue white and lemon yellow. Very much like the alt Para jersey below . The logo was an A with a Halo and very very original not.

images (3).jpeg

No proof of course but it happened. When it came out in 1998 I think thet said Chris Anderson's son designed it or something. Recent correspondence with the Storm had them say they don't know who designed it. Anyway, it's cool seeing it used. I've got no qualms. I'd certainly taught me to protect my future work.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
The Storm logo was actually ceeated in 1996 by a 20 year old ARL fan with no commercial art experience at the height of the Suoer League war.

It formed part of an unsolicited dossier handed in at Phillip Street (before visiting a USS aircraft carrier visiting Sydney at the time). It was fan art by a naive, dreaming kid who loved rugby league.

The Storm logo was a direct lift from a picture of Zeus hurling a lightning bolt in a history book on Greek gods and mythology. The arm throwing the bolt was as is but the bolt was repositioned top left to bottom right and was not a bolt but a harpoon. The team name was the Hobart Harpooners (as if that team would ever get up lol - though Tasmania did have a proud whaling history ). The storm clouds were the froth of waves breaking at the front of a whaling boat.

There was also a Melbourne Blues logo which was the kangaroo face off the Wallabies logo circa 1991-1995 and dark navy blue / white V like the Vic ODI shirt now.

There was also the Adelaide Angels in blue white and lemon yellow. Very much like the alt Para jersey below . The logo was an A with a Halo and very very original not.

View attachment 24232

No proof of course but it happened. When it came out in 1998 I think thet said Chris Anderson's son designed it or something. Recent correspondence with the Storm had them say they don't know who designed it. Anyway, it's cool seeing it used. I've got no qualms. I'd certainly taught me to protect my future work.
I have no idea if you're telling the truth or whether you've been hanging out with Brett Dallas...

GAZF

First Grade
From a designers point of view I don't mind the storms new logo, it's in essence just a modern take on their old one and they've ditched the yellow for silver.
What my only concern is that off the pitch, no one at Melbourne ever seems to think long term in terms of branding.

This logo is very, very today and very in line with current design trends. The block font, muted colour palette (much like Sydney FC) and it'll fall into the trap, exactly like their old logo did, of dating as soon as the trend moves on and belonging firmly cemented to a time and place and hence not ageing well and not being timeless.

Also, always found it odd that their old logo had the storm man wearing their first jersey which they ditched the following year and never wore again until this year. Their man had a purple V, could be an opportunity for consistency.
I would argue that the new text probably has greater longevity potential than what they started with, at the very least it's more readable. The diagonal part of the hole in the "R" sucks though, along with the "S" monogram with the lightning bolt.

Cutting gold from the colour scheme corrects a problem I've had with the Storm identity since day one - there's way too many colours. The purple and gold were added to make the identity more marketable but this was done with 90's sensibilities where lots and lots of accent colours were king. The original (reddish) shade of purple was particularly awful in combination with gold. Having said that, the gold looks like it will still be used sparsely to draw attention or put emphasis on points of interest in printed and digital media. This could have been extended to the logo by just making just the lightning bolt gold which would both add a bit more depth and place the focus on the biggest design element associated with the club. If this were to happen I would get rid of the white as it's pretty close to the silver as-is.

And I think the left hand was taken out partly because it has very fine details which get lost when viewed at small sizes - the whole redesign indicates that they are trying to make the brand better suited to digital media. Adding a small triangle to highlight the contour of the top of the left arm would have gone a long way in making it not look like Storm man lost his arm in the off-season.

Lambretta

First Grade
This must have been done by Dean Ritchie, in what world is the Titans logo the best in the competition?

Seriously?

It’s the worst in the comp!

By far!

Easily!

They put the Cronulla, Manly and Rabbitohs logos last and the hated Roosters emblem in the top 5.

The classic Rabbit is one of the most instantly recognisable logos in the land. Seriously? What were these idiots smoking?

Lambretta

First Grade
Oh and that logo list thing... slagging the Dallas Cowboys star logo

Seriously?? The Star logo is instantly recognisable the World over. Its simple, classic and not a f**king fad cartoon.

Give yerself an uppercut you utter utter utter twat

gzerounian

Juniors
I would argue that the new text probably has greater longevity potential than what they started with, at the very least it's more readable. The diagonal part of the hole in the "R" sucks though, along with the "S" monogram with the lightning bolt.

Cutting gold from the colour scheme corrects a problem I've had with the Storm identity since day one - there's way too many colours. The purple and gold were added to make the identity more marketable but this was done with 90's sensibilities where lots and lots of accent colours were king. The original (reddish) shade of purple was particularly awful in combination with gold. Having said that, the gold looks like it will still be used sparsely to draw attention or put emphasis on points of interest in printed and digital media. This could have been extended to the logo by just making just the lightning bolt gold which would both add a bit more depth and place the focus on the biggest design element associated with the club. If this were to happen I would get rid of the white as it's pretty close to the silver as-is.

And I think the left hand was taken out partly because it has very fine details which get lost when viewed at small sizes - the whole redesign indicates that they are trying to make the brand better suited to digital media. Adding a small triangle to highlight the contour of the top of the left arm would have gone a long way in making it not look like Storm man lost his arm in the off-season.
My final attempt at improving. I really like the way rusty gold works with the navy blue as opposed to the yellow gold. The bottom bicep really only needs to be one piece. Added an extra line on the left shoulder. Fixed the lettering too.
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 10.03.10 am.png

sempmrh

Juniors
Looking at it today, I don't dislike it as much as I did yesterday. I'm still not happy with it overall but provided they keep using the correct four finger version I suppose I can live with it. My preference as a fan would be to return to the original logo - either as is or even refined and updated in such a way that it retains the character of the original.

I think fans tend to over-exaggerate the importance of yellow in the logo and branding. When the logo was originally designed, I doubt they would have realised how important the purple would become. Prior to the club running out onto the field for the first time in 1998 you could be forgiven for thinking the club colours were navy and yellow. In that regard, I can understand wanting to remove or reduce the amount of yellow used. It should be an accent colour, nothing more. Yellow, along with the lack of lightning bolts on the jersey have been common complaints for years now.

greenBV4

Bench
My guess is the hand holding the lightning bolt has three fingers so the navy part forms an M
Depends which logo your looking at, some have 3, some have 4.. I also can't find a high-res large image of the logo yet and the website and nrl website hasn't been updated. Until that happens and/or the jersey is realised we won't know which is the "official" one

gzerounian

Juniors
I hope the new NRL logo release date isn't delayed due to Parramatta deal with the new stadium not being finalised? They should just write TBA next to their home games.

gzerounian

Juniors
Again, people on a RL forum doing a better job.

Well done.
Thanks. In my opinion a good logo should be able to be pulled apart quite easily like a simple puzzle. The first time I saw something like this was the Barcelona Olympics followed by the Sydney Olympics. I like what they've done, it just needs one or two less moving parts.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 3.14.35 pm.png

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I hope the new NRL logo release date isn't delayed due to Parramatta deal with the new stadium not being finalised? They should just write TBA next to their home games.
Que?

The NRL Draw was pushed back to next week so it didn't conflict with the Tonga test, nothing to do with the Eels thing. They've already indicated that their games are TBA til a deal is done.

As I understand the logo should've been launched this week but for reasons unknown it hasn't happened.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Meanwhile

giphy.gif

The Marshall

Juniors
I wonder if that’s the new Jersey on the guy holding the drum?? One negative of the Warriors going back to these colours is that it’s yet another team with blue as a dominant colour.

Last edited:

sempmrh

Juniors
The Jillaroos have changed their logo to one in line with the Kangaroos. Previously the logo said "Rugby League Jillaroos" and had a football instead of a kangaroo.

44288437_973017449553326_8039444192675495936_n.jpg

Latest posts